- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jim and Ryan talk briefly at the office.

I'm sorry that it took me all day to post this, I think if I waited any longer, you loyal readers might hunt me down.
I apologize that it's on the short side, especially compared to the last couple of chapters.

I decided at the last minute, that I'm not going to change the rating just yet (it will still probably go up in the future), so just be forewarned that there is some harsh language in this chapter.

February 15, 2006

He spun around in his desk chair and looked out the enormous window that overlooked the city skyline.

“I fucking love this place,” he thought to himself as he ran his hand along the bottom of his tie.

“So Halpert.”

He swung around to face the door and smiled at Ryan casually leaning against the frame of the door.

“What’s up, Ryan?” Jim asked as he propped his elbows on his desk. “Reception giving you hell again?”

“Nope,” Ryan said as he kicked the door to Jim’s office closed.

“What brings you ‘round here then?” Jim asked. “It’s not Michael…is it?”

“Nope.”

“Spill it.”

“Did you fuck her?”

“What? Who?”

“The waitress,” Ryan said casually as he smoothed out a wrinkle in his jacket’s lapel. “Pam.”

“What are you talking about?” Jim asked, turning to his computer and clicking open a new e-mail from someone he was to have a meeting with later in the afternoon.

“Pam. Did you or did you not fuck her last night?” Ryan asked.

“Even if I did, I don’t know why you’re asking,” Jim replied casually.

“Just looking for some juicy details,” Ryan said as he brushed his fingernails along the front of his slacks.

“No, I did not,” Jim said firmly.

“She doesn’t like you?”

“I have no idea if she does or not,” Jim said as he turned back to read through the e-mail.

“Do you like her?”

“Christ, what are we in high school again or something?”

“I just think it’s odd,” Ryan said.

“How come?”

“You’re such a hit with the ladies,” Ryan said. “Half of the clients that work under you are women.”

“That’s what she said,” Jim said casually to which he then wrinkled his forehead slightly.

“I don’t think that made a lot of sense, man.”

“No, I just heard it…”

“Anyway, it’s no secret that you’re a charmer,” Ryan said as he sat down in a chair across from Jim. “The last charity event we went to there was that one girl that specifically paid extra for her ticket so she could just get a seat at our table.”

“Oh come on, you’re exaggerating and you know it,” he scrolled on his mouse. “By the way, Johnson is going to be about fifteen minutes late for the meeting today.”

“Fucking Johnson, never on time.”

“You’re completely exaggerating though, Ryan.”

“How so?”

“Because the woman you’re thinking of was sitting at the table to be near you.”

“How many women have you been with in the past year?”

“Since January? Or since last February?” Jim asked, his eyes narrowing as he thought.

“Either or,” Ryan replied as he propped his feet up on top of Jim’s desk.

“Feet off the desk,” Jim said as he pushed on the soles of Ryan’s shoes with a pen. “Since January, zero.”

“Didn’t even get any while down in the Bahamas?”

“It’s not a college spring break and no,” Jim replied.

“Since last February?” he thought. “I don’t know…two maybe? Maybe three…”

“Two? Three?” Ryan asked incredulously. “My god, man. What happened to the Jim Halpert that worked here four years ago?”

“I guess he grew up,” Jim replied with a shrug.

“No way because before you were the man ladies went to,” Ryan said leaning closer to Jim.

“Yeah and then I settled down for a while,” Jim said with raised eyebrows. “And then…”

“The divorce,” they both said simultaneously.

“Right,” Jim said casually turning back to the screen of his computer. They were quiet for a few moments, both casually listening to the phones ringing throughout the office.

“So what do you think of her then?” Ryan asked.

“Who? Pam?” Jim asked. Ryan nodded with an expression on his face that clearly meant, ‘Well duh’. “I don’t know. I like her.”

“Think she might be something a little special?” Ryan asked as he stood up. Jim shrugged and smiled a little.

“Maybe,” he said and chuckled to himself. “We’ll see.”

Chapter End Notes:

Don't throw rocks!!!! I'll have another (longer!!) chapter posted late tomorrow morning.

Comment, let me know what you think...you know the drill! :)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans