- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
This couldn't be happening, she told herself. There was no way she could be... in the family way. She had been taking her pills religiously. They had been careful.

But the doctor once again explained that yes, the test was positive, and yes, her symptoms could be explained by pregnancy.

"No!" she said sternly. "Do another test. It must be wrong."

The doctor sighed, and said, "I'm sorry it wasn't the news you wanted, Miss Martin, but you are most definitely pregnant."

She grabbed her purse and stormed out. What was she going to tell people? She wasn't married and she knew she was being sinful by doing... that with Dwight. No one even knew they were a couple. Well, no one except for Jim and Pam, but they had promised not to tell. Wait. Pam. She may be able to offer advice. She had been fairly helpful to Kelly when she had turned up pregnant last year. Angela shuddered at the thought of being in the same position as Kelly, but she decided it was better than nothing. She left the doctor's office and returned to work.

Pam was sitting at her desk, staring at something on her computer screen. Angela coughed, and Pam looked up. "Hello, Pam. Would you mind, um, coming with me for a second?" She lowered her voice. "I need to talk to you - about something."

Pam nodded and followed Angela to the breakroom, where they sat down at a table. Angela whispered, "So, you've been living in sin for most of your adult life..."

"What?" Pam glared at her.

"Nevermind. It's just that, say I have this friend," Angela began.

"Noelle?" Pam asked, her expression changing as she tried to suppress a smile.

"Yes, Noelle," Angela continued. "And say Noelle engaged in... activities... with her... companion."

"Kurt?"

"Yes, Kurt. And they were really careful but then one day Noelle ended up being... you know."

"Pregnant?"

"Pam!" Angela admonished. "Yes, expecting. And her family is really rather strict about these things, and she knows she will likely be disowned. Plus, her family doesn't actually know about Kurt, even though Noelle and Kurt have been together for - oh - two years or so." She looked up at Pam as if she expected her to fill in the rest herself.

"Well," Pam began, "I would probably suggest to Noelle that maybe she tell her parents about Kurt first, and that she... intends to marry him?" She looked at Angela, questioningly.

Angela was silent for a few moments, then replied, "Well, it's not like Kurt has ever proposed or anything."

"But you've - I mean, they've - talked about it, right? I mean it's been more than two years..."

"Sometimes these things are more complicated than two people just shacking up!" Angela shouted, getting up from the table and slamming her fists down.

"Wow. Angela, wait. Getting all upset is not going to help," she lowered her voice to a whisper, "your condition."

Angela blinked, and sat back down.

"What did Dwight say?" Pam asked.

"Hmmm?"

"What did Dwight say when you told him?"

Angela hestitated. "Well, I haven't yet," she admitted.

"Well," Pam said slowly, "maybe you should start there."

For the first time Angela's steely exterior looked like it was going to break. "I can't," she responded, and Pam thought she saw the hint of tears in her eyes.

"Why?"

"Because this isn't the way it was supposed to happen," Angela said, resigned.

"Maybe. Or maybe, it was. You know, sometimes God works in mysterious ways," Pam replied, "even to sinners."

Angela shot her a glare, but it quickly melted as she realized Pam was right. "Thank you, Pam," she said as she got up and set off to find Dwight. She found him at his desk, having just arrived from a sales call.

"Dwight, may I speak to you for a moment?" she said, trying to act as nonchalant as possible.

Dwight looked up, somewhat surprised that Angela was speaking directly to him instead of cornering him covertly in the kitchen as was usually their custom.

"Certainly, Angela," he said, and followed her not to the kitchen, as he was expecting, but instead outside to the parking lot. They didn't speak on the elevator ride down. Dwight would have been nervous, if it were possible for a Schrute to experience nervousness.

"Dwight, I went to the doctor's today," Angela began, "and I got some surprising news. It seems that I am... expecting." She whispered the last word so it was barely audible.

"What?" Dwight asked.

Angela was exasperated. She didn't want to have to say it again. "I'm pregnant, Dwight," she snapped.

Dwight was in shock. He stood looking at her for quite some time before the corners of his mouth turned upward into a smile.

"Excellent," he said, simply.

~
Dwight: "Am I looking forward to being a father? Absolutely. We Schrutes make excellent fathers, and I plan on carrying on that tradition proudly. Angela wasn't too happy about our little secret getting out, but she has nothing to be ashamed of. She will be a Schrute herself soon enough, and the Schrute bloodline will be carried on by the child in her womb." He pauses. "And best of all, we'll have someone else to work the beet farm in five years or so."



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans