- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Last chapter!  A fluff and jam sandwich.  :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It was a Saturday in January, and they were spending it lazily putting the final touches on their wedding which was to take place the following month.  They were going to California and having a small wedding at a vineyard, with only family in attendance.  They didn't want a big wedding since Pam had already gone through the motions of one once before, and really all they wanted was to just be married.  After the wedding they were going to spend a week there for a honeymoon.  Pam had always wanted to see the Pacific Ocean.

As Jim sat at the computer making sure everything was taken care of, Pam lay on the bed.  At one point she started to doze off.

"Hey!" Jim said, startling her.  "You okay?"

She sat up.  "Yeah, I'm fine.  Why do you ask?"

"Well, you've been so tired the past few days.  Yesterday at work you fell asleep at your desk, and just now you fell asleep in mid-sentence."

She thought about it for a minute.  "Maybe I'm coming down with something," she said.

"Well, I hope not.  We have a busy month ahead of us."  He stood up and bent over to kiss her softly on the cheek, then headed out of the room.

"Jim!" she called after him.

"Yes?"

"Could you bring back something to eat?  I'm starving!"

He chuckled and returned a few minutes later with a plate of nachos.  He watched her as she scarfed them down.  When she looked up at him, he seemed as if he wanted to say something. 

"Is something wrong?" she asked, wiping cheese off her chin.

"No... well, I don't know, it's just..." He hesitated.  "Pam, don't freak out or anything, but do you think you could be, you know, pregnant?"

"What?" she yelped, standing up from the bed as the plate went flying.

"Wait, I said don't freak out!" he said, gently placing his hands on her shoulders.  "Just that, remember that time a couple weeks ago, where we forgot to...  And now you're acting all tired and hungry and moody."

"And that's how you diagnose pregnancy, Doctor?" she asked, flippantly.

"Well," he replied, "yeah.  You do make me watch the Discovery Health Channel a lot."  He smiled.  "But maybe you should take a test.  Doc Halpert is not infallible."

She stared at him.  "Jim, I can't be.  Besides, I'm not late yet.  Aunt Flo should be in town tomorrow."

"Okay, well, maybe you're right.  I just think it might be worth checking out, that's all."

A little while later they stood in front of the family planning section in the CVS, examining the pregnancy tests.  "I have no idea which one to get," Pam said, frustrated.

"Does it really matter?  They all do the same thing," Jim responded, and he picked one up.  "Here, this one says you can use it five days before your missed period.  Perfect.  Let's go."

They went home and Pam nervously went straight to the bathroom with the test.  She stopped before she got to the door and without turning around said, "Jim, what if it's positive?  What will we do?"

Jim wrapped his arms around her from behind and whispered in her ear, "We'll be fine."

She went into the bathroom and emerged a minute later with the test in her hand. 

"Well?" he asked.

"I couldn't look.  Here," she said as she put it in his hand.

He stared down at it as she said, "Two lines means positive, one line means negative."

He looked up at her, and a huge smile appeared on his face.  "Two lines," he said, grinning.

"What?  Are you sure?"  She grabbed it back and looked at it.  "Oh my God.  There are two lines!"  She didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so instead she swatted Jim's chest as she repeated, "Two lines!"

They both started jumping up and down and then he grabbed her, lifting her up off the floor and spinning them around.

"I don't believe it," she said as he put her down.  "How did this happen?  Oh my God, Jim.  We're getting married in a month!  How are we going to do this?"

"Don't worry about any of that," he replied.  "It will all be fine.  We're going to have a baby!"

She glanced up at him.  "So I guess we're happy about this then?" she asked with a smile.

"I guess," he said.  "I know it's not what we planned and we were going to wait a few years, but... we're going to have a baby!"

For a long moment they stared at the test in her hands, then he said seriously, "Uh-oh.  You know what this means."

"What?" she asked, concerned.

"Playdates with the Schrute twins!"

"Shut up!" she laughed, and she pulled him down for a kiss.

-
Monday morning Jim was standing in the kitchen in the office, still high on the news of his impending fatherhood.  He was just staring at his cup of coffee, smiling.  A few minutes later Michael entered, humming to himself happily.

He greeted Jim enthusiastically.  "Morning, Jimbag!"

"Hey Michael, how was your weekend?"

"Oh, it was great.  You would not believe what Mikey did.  He crawled!  I mean, it was just like a couple of inches, but he scooted across the floor.  It was awesome.  He's so advanced for his age."

Jim smiled.  "I'm sure he is."

Just then Dwight came into the kitchen.  His shoulders were slumped and he muttered something as he opened the fridge. 

"Um, are you looking for the coffee?" Jim said, gesturing to the coffee pot.

"Coffee.  Yes," Dwight replied, and poured himself a cup.

"Another tough night?"

"Jim, it is a fact that babies are deceptively evil.  They will stop at nothing to keep their parents awake." He sighed, and muttered "monsters" under his breath.

"Oh, Dwight, just wait," Michael said.  "It's totally worth it.  When they look at you and say 'Dada' with their big blue eyes..."

"Your baby speaks to you through his eyes?" Jim teased.

Michael shook his head.  "You know what I mean.  I mean, Mikey doesn't talk per se, but he will soon enough."

Dwight just grunted.  At that moment Ryan walked in.  "Hey guys."

"What are you doing here today?"  Michael asked, accusingly.  More than a year and a half later, he still hadn't forgiven Ryan for becoming his boss.

"We were here for the weekend, visiting family, being made to feel inadequate, you know, that sort of thing," he replied.

"How's the baby?" Jim asked.

"Oh she's great.  She babbles now.  A... lot."  His eyes glazed over for a moment before he shook himself out of it.  "But yeah, she's great."

Jim grinned to himself as he exited the kitchen and headed back to his desk.  Yes, he thought, this was going to be an adventure.

He stopped at the reception desk and smiled goofily at Pam.

"What?" she asked, yawning.

"Nothing.  Just... I love you.  Both of you."


~

Jim, smiling:  "Wow."
Chapter End Notes:
In case you were wondering about timing, Kelly's baby is born in May 2008, Jan and Michael's in August 2008, the Schrute twins in December 2008, and baby Halpert is due in October, 2009.  :)


ExtremelyGruntled is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Four Dunder Mifflin Employees Who Find Out They're Pregnant... And One Who Doesn't also liked 686 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans