- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Still own nothing.

Chapter 2: I trust you not to leave me 

It was around 3:30 when Jim got the e-mail from Pam. He looked up to smile at her, but all he saw was her gray-clad back disappearing toward the ladies’ room, a gym bag over her shoulder. Puzzled, he opened the mail.

 

From: pbeesley@dundermifflin.com
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 3:27 PM
To: jhalpert@dundermifflin.com
Subject: Early Birthday Gift

 Finish up anything you have to do today. We’re leaving between 4:00 and 4:15. More details to follow. 

Love,
Pam

  

Love, Pam. The two words were still enough to astound him. Things hadn’t been entirely smooth for them since their first date back in May, but the simple fact that he and Pam were facing and dealing with issues together, with the common goal of being together, was enough to make Jim happier than he had ever remembered being.

 

He smiled at his computer screen, eager for whatever plan Pam had concocted. She was constantly surprising him, both with things Jim was just discovering about her and with things Pam was just discovering about herself. He picked up the phone to make the final calls he had to make for the day.

 

The final customer he’d needed to speak to was just hanging up when Pam emerged, approaching his desk with a smile.

 

“You changed,” he said, grinning. Instead of a gray cardigan and black skirt, Pam was now wearing white shorts and a pink t-shirt Jim didn’t recognize (but which, judging from his leering gaze, Kevin appreciated very much). Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail, a style she favored on weekends but rarely wore to work. She was holding the gym bag, which Jim now recognized as his own, in front of her torso.

 

“I did,” she agreed. “Here.” She pushed the gym bag toward him. “It’s your birthday present.”

 

“Wow, my own gym bag,” Jim deadpanned, unzipping the bag. “Filled with my own clothes, too! Pam, you’re really too good to me.” He couldn’t maintain a straight face when she laughed. He loved her laughter so much.

 

“Keep looking, smart guy,” she replied, laughter still coloring her words. 

 

Dwight, who had been watching this exchange with interest, chose this moment to interrupt. “It is not your birthday, Jim. And that is not proper workplace attire, Pam. This is all very irregular.”

 

Jim turned to exchange amused glances with Pam, but was surprised to see that she was glaring at Dwight.

 

“Shhhhhh, Dwight,” she hissed. “You’ll blow our cover!” She moved quickly around to Dwight’s side, crouching down so that only Dwight and Jim could hear her next words. “Listen, I’m only telling you this because I believe you can be trusted. If you betray us, it could cost us our jobs and irrevocably harm Dunder Mifflin.” She threw a glance at Jim.

 

Seeing the sparkle in her eyes, he immediately played along. “Pam, no,” he said, matching the quiet intensity of her tone. “We’re not supposed to tell anyone.”

 

Pam’s lip twitched almost imperceptibly, but she didn’t break character. “He’s already onto us, Jim. This is the only way.” She turned back to Dwight. “Listen- Ryan has asked Jim and me to complete a special top-secret project…without Michael’s knowledge. I’ve told Michael that I’m surprising Jim with tickets to a Phillies’ game, so we have to leave early. That’s why I’m wearing this Phillies t-shirt, and why there is a new Phillies jersey in that bag for Jim.” Dwight started to speak, but Pam stopped him with a gesture. “Dwight, I told Ryan that you were a better choice for this mission, but he thinks that your personal loyalty to Michael outweighs your loyalty to the company. If you tell Michael, or anyone, what we’re doing…you’ll be proving him right. I’m trusting you, Dwight.”

 

As Dwight swore his loyalty to Dunder Mifflin, Jim marveled at the woman beside him. She was brilliant, funny, and beautiful. Looking back down into the bag on his lap, Jim realized that there was, indeed, a new Phillies jersey folded carefully along with his own shorts and shoes. A narrow envelope with his name printed on it was tucked into the inside pocket. He pulled the envelope out as Pam moved back over to perch on the edge of his desk.

 

“What do you think of my ‘cover story,’ Halpert?” Pam was smiling, but he could detect a hint of hesitation, as though she were nervous that he wouldn’t like his gift.

 

“Did you- you bought me baseball tickets?” He was grinning like an idiot, excited to go to the game, and so touched that she would do something like this for him.

 

“I bought you baseball tickets, a jersey, this t-shirt for myself, and I booked a hotel room for after the game. We’re playing the Atlanta Braves, and we have a 7:05 start, so we have to get moving.” Seeing that he was pleased, Pam looked much happier.  

 

A sudden thought struck Jim. He took Pam’s hand gently, and spoke more softly. “Pam, are you sure? You never go to games…”

 

Pam’s smile softened. “I never used to go to games. But I trust you not to leave me there, or to get drunk and make a scene, or to ignore me to talk to the guys around you. In fact, I have a feeling that with you I’m going to have a wonderful time.” She squeezed his hand and then let go. “And you like baseball, and it’s almost your birthday. Now go change so we can get on the road!”

 

Jim stood up, but still he hesitated. “Are you sure, Pam?”

 

She laughed. “Yes! Anyway, we have to go, now. I’ve already changed.”

 

Five minutes later, Jim and Pam headed out of the office dressed in their fabulous new Phillies gear. “Happy Birthday, Jim! Have fun at the Phillies’ game!” they heard Dwight bellow. Laughing, they entered the elevator hand in hand.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans