- Text Size +

Standard disclaimer: I own nothing but the love.

 

Chapter 3: I managed while you were gone 

“PAM! You look amaaaazing!” Kelly’s squeal reached Pam’s ears before she ever got to her desk. With a blur of bronze skin and purple sweater, Kelly herself stood in front of the reception desk, eager to critique Pam’s new outfit. 

Pam took a deep breath and smiled weakly. “Thanks, Kelly.” She self-consciously smoothed the hem of the tailored jacket she wore over the matching pants. Pam thought that the suit was flattering- the pinstripes made her look tall, and the details at the waist emphasized her slenderness. Still, it didn’t feel like “her,” and she dreaded the attention she was going to get for dressing so differently…attention such as the rapt gaze she was still getting from Kelly.

 Where did you get that suit? How come you don’t dress like that more often? How long did it take you to unfrizz your hair like that? Why are you so dressed up today, anyway?” Kelly punctuated each question with a little bounce and a tiny clap. Pam felt dizzy. 

“Pam got the suit at TJ Maxx; she looks beautiful everyday no matter what she wears; her hair is not frizzy, it is naturally curly; and she’s dressed up because she knows her boyfriend really likes it.” Jim had entered the room while Kelly was speaking. Pam smiled her thanks for the rescue, and Jim grinned back. Before Kelly had a chance to reply, Jim continued. “Wow, Kelly, is that a new top?”  

Pam’s outfit was forgotten. “It totally is, thanks for noticing Jim! There was a huge sale at the mall last weekend, and I got this and some new jeans and two totally cute pairs of shoes!” Fortunately, the phone rang at that moment, and Pam lunged to answer it to avoid any more conversation with her overly-enthusiastic co-worker. As Pam spoke with the caller, Jim somehow extricated himself from Kelly, who drifted back to her own work while Jim took his seat at his desk. 

Jim had saved Pam from having to answer Kelly, but there was a reason she was dressed up in such an uncharacteristic way. Later that morning, Pam had a job interview.  

Pam had applied for an Office Administrator position at the local university where she was taking art classes. The job would have higher pay, managerial responsibility over student employees, and free tuition for classes at the school. It was a huge, scary step, but it was also a great opportunity. Pam couldn’t decide if she felt more excited or nervous.  

The morning went fast, with Jim coming over several times to tell her how amazing she looked and give her ridiculous fake interviewing tips ("Be sure to eat garlic beforehand, to show that you appreciate ethnic diversity." "Show you have an interest in education- mention your hero Mary Kay Letourneau"). Otherwise, the office was quiet, and Pam was starting to think she might be able to get to her interview at 11:00 with no problem when Michael finally arrived. “Wow, Pam, look at you!”   

“Hi, Michael,” Pam replied. She always tried to keep her speech as uninflected as possible whenever she first spoke to Michael, in order to best gauge his mood.   

“That’s a really nice suit,” he said morosely. “It looks like something Jan would wear. The old Jan. The one who was my boss and then my lover, but not my live-in crazy person.”  

“OK,” Pam said quietly. It was a default answer, born from too many years of trying to figure out what to say to Michael. I look like Jan? She laughed to herself silently at the thought.  No wonder Jim likes my outfit so much, I’m dressed like Karen.  

Pam told Michael that she had an appointment to get to, implying that it was a doctor’s visit. Accepting her excuse quietly, Michael finally headed into his office. It was almost time to go, and Jim sauntered over for a final pep talk.

“You ready?” he asked. 

“Yeah, I think so. How do I look?” She couldn’t stop herself from asking the question, now that she’d had the thought about Jim’s ex-girlfriend’s corporate style. 

“You look great. Very professional,” Jim smiled. “Honestly, though, I miss your normal look. This is a big change.”  

Pam felt herself beaming at him. He always knew exactly what to say. “I think change can be good, don’t you?”  

“Yeah. But don’t change too much- I like you an awful lot.” Something in his tone was so warm, so loving, that Pam blushed to the tips of her toes.  

As she bent to pick up her purse, she laughed gently. “Hey, can I use you for a reference?” she asked. “I need someone to say nice things about me- and you are the Assistant Regional Manager.”  

“I don’t know about that Pam.” He was teasing, but his loving tone hadn’t changed. “I mean, you deserve a good recommendation, but…” The smile dropped away from Jim for a second, and his eyes showed her exactly what she meant to him. “…but I think I’m going to hate working here without you.”  

Pam felt tears behind her eyes, but she forced her tone to be light. “I managed while you were gone. You’ll be fine.” Her eyes flicked to the clock. If she didn’t leave soon, she’d be late. However, Jim was standing in front of her with a look of pain on his face. She’d meant it as a joke, but he’d felt the truth of it. 

Suddenly, Pam felt a rush of love so strong that she thought she might burst out crying. “How about this- if I do get the job, you have to marry me so you are sure to see me every day. OK?” 

The look of absolute shock on Jim’s face was enough to keep Pam smiling all the way through her interview. Her new boss loved her suit.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans