- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with The Office or its characters, and no infringement is intended.

Chapter 4: I am happy

Jim knocked lightly on the door. "Pam, you about ready?"

"Yeah. Can you- can you come here a second?"

Jim hesitated, then pushed the door open. The sight inside the small room made him catch his breath in grateful awe, but he covered his reaction with a joke. "You changed clothes! Pam you didn't tell me you were going to change."

Pam rolled her eyes, grinning."Shut up," she said pleasantly.

He moved toward her. She's so beautiful, he thought reverently. Still, he couldn't resist further teasing her. "That dress is cute. Is it new?"

"Brand new. Do you really like it?" Pam was still smiling, but there was a note of anxiety in her voice.

The idea that she would actually worry that he didn't like how she looked humbled and amused him in equal parts. She was stunning. Her long hair was smooth and shiny, hanging down in long, soft waves. Her fair skin glistened with a bit more make-up than usual, and excitement (or nerves) brought a hint of color to her cheeks and a sparkle to her eyes. Fiery blue sapphire earrings, borrowed from her aunt, peeked out from under her hair. Most conspicuous, of course, was her slender yet curvy figure, accented perfectly by the beaded bodice and full skirt of her gorgeous white satin gown.

There was no teasing in Jim's voice as he answered her. "You are the single most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life." She smiled again, deeply moved and obviously relieved, and his own smile jumped back into place. "Are you absolutely sure you want to marry me? All dressed up like that, I'm pretty sure you could do better."

"Excuse me? I don't have to be dressed up to do better, buddy. You're lucky I'm choosing to settle." Joy and love floated along with Pam's sarcastic words. She moved into Jim's arms. "And yes, I'm sure I want to marry you. I asked you, remember?"

Jim laughed softly. "You asked me first. I do seem to remember a whole proposal with a ring and everything that I get credit for."

"Yeah, whatever." She laughed, too.

Jim suddenly remembered that Pam had asked him to come in. "Did you need something when you asked me to come in here? Are you OK?"

Pam's expression clouded slightly. "I just wanted to see you. I was getting nervous, not seeing you since brunch. I feel much better now."

"Good. I wanted to see you, too. Of course, now we've tempted fate. I guess we should now brace ourselves for bad luck."

"We invited Michael Scott to our wedding- we were already tempting fate." They both laughed. Pam continued playfully, "Besides, that don't-see-the-bride thing is just a silly old wives' tale...and since I won't be an old wife for another forty-five minutes, I refuse to believe it."

Forty-five minutes. After all the months and years of uncertainty and pain and struggle, he, Jim Halpert, was going to marry Pam Beesly in forty-five minutes. His bride. His wife. The thought brought goosebumps to his arms and his mouth went slightly dry.

Careful not to muss her hair or make-up, Jim pulled Pam closer to him. "In forty-five minutes, you're going to be my wife, Pam Beesly."

"No, in forty-five minutes, I'm going to be your wife Pam Halpert. I'll be a whole new person." Pam pressed her lips against his gently.

Jim frowned. "Will this Pam Halpert still make homemade salsa? Because otherwise, I'm sticking with the girl I've got."

"Absolutely, she will." Pam laughed again as Jim pulled back and looked into her eyes. So incredibly beautiful.

"Then I promise, I'll try to make her happy."

"I am happy." So was he.

With another quick kiss, Jim turned to leave the tiny dressing room to make his way to the place he was supposed to wait until the ceremony started. "I'll see you up there. You look beautiful, Pam. I love you." As he pulled the door shut, he saw her glancing into the mirror again. He hoped she believed him. She was beautiful, inside and out.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans