- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Much of this chapter comes directly from an online conversation I had with my wonderful beta belsum when she was preggo. It is used with permission.

Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with the show or the characters, and I even stole Pam's diatribe from belsum's blog...so yeah, it's not mine! 

 

Chapter 6: I am growing every day 

 

"I am so fucking sick and tired of my clothes."

Jim looked around in alarm at this pronouncement. His uncharacteristically foul-mouthed wife was glaring into the bathroom at him, as though somehow the act of brushing his teeth had brought about this revelation. He raised a finger to indicate that she should wait a second, leaned over to spit, and then said, "Huh?"

"I have only four pairs of pants that even fit any more. And that number is quickly dwindling. I tried on an old pair of jeans while you were in the shower, and I couldn't keep them on for longer than a couple of minutes. I'm wearing the same outfits over and over and over." Pam's voice was rising to an hysterical pitch, and her hands were flailing around wildly.

Pam's emotions had brought a pink glow to her rounded cheek and her hair gleamed in the reflected light from the bathroom mirror. Jim thought she looked beautiful. Frightening, but beautiful. He smiled slightly and decided she wouldn't appreciate that opinion. Instead, he went with the safer choice: "Pam, you look fine."

She exhaled loudly. "You don't understand. When I worked at Dunder Mifflin I wore the same cheap, boring clothes, like, every week. Skirt, blouse, cardigan. Skirt, blouse, cardigan. When I went to work at the University I swore I would not do that again. I like dressing nice! I like looking good! I know you think I look fine. I know no one at work cares. But I...ugh!" Pam turned and moved heavily from the doorway of the bathroom down the hall to their bedroom.

With a small sigh, Jim followed, settling himself on the edge of the bed where she had lowered herself. "Your clothes are fine, Pam," he said softly.

She shook her head and made a small sound of disagreement. "I hate that I can only fit into a handful of my good clothes now. I hate that I keep wearing the same basic outfits week in and week out. And I'm not even that big yet!"

Jim took his life into his hands and reached over to touch Pam's swollen belly. He was still in awe that her body, which he loved so much for so many reasons, was now holding and growing a child. Their child. It was a miracle second to none, and Jim decided that having his wife completely insane for a few months was worth it. He decided not to express that opinion either. "You're perfect," he said. He meant it.

When Pam exhaled this time, Jim could see that it was releasing the tension in her shoulders. "Really?"

"Absolutely."

Pam nodded a little bit, as though resigning herself to the situation. "Well, at least maternity clothes will be something new and different...I mean, I have all of these hand-me-downs, but they'll be new for me...I'm just not sure at what point you're supposed to switch over from your own stuff to that stuff!" The tension had crept back into her voice by the last few words.

Jim decided to risk being brave one more time and offer some advice. "Um, well, I think when your own clothes don't fit and you feel uncomfortable in them, it is time to switch over to the maternity clothes...so, probably pretty soon?"

"You think...you think maybe today?" Pam's voice was quavering uncertainly, like it had in the first few days after they'd found out she was pregnant. She had adapted so quickly, and was usually so joyfully confident, that Jim almost forgot that this was all as new and scary for her as it was for him. He reached for her hand and squeezed gently.

"Yeah. How about today?" he answered her. "There's lots of cute stuff in that box from my sister."

Ten minutes later, Pam met him in the kitchen. She was wearing an attractive blouse and pin-striped khakis- stylish, modern maternity wear. To Jim's great relief, she was also smiling. "Well?" she said, twirling a little to model.

"An excellent change, Mrs. Halpert," Jim answered honestly. "Why, I do believe you're glowing."

Pam laughed at his gentle teasing. "I don't know about glowing...I am definitely growing, though. I am growing every day!"

"That's as it should be. I love you, Pam." Jim kissed her gently. "Love you, too, little one," he said, patting her stomach again gently. Pam's answering smile was the perfect accessory to her new outfit.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans