- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Spoilers for "The Job."

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

“Root-doo-doot-doo! Big Haircut! Where did you come from? I didn’t even see you come in!” Andy shouted as he watched Jim walk unsteadily away from the conference room back towards his desk. Jim stopped and looked at him blankly. Andy cocked his head to the side and examined his appearance. “You okay, dude? You look like you just saw a ghost.”

 

Jim nodded, his mind replaying the last twelve hours of his life on a constant loop.

 

“Oh, Jim,” Dwight shook his head as he watched Jim sink into the desk chair across from him. “Jim, Jim, Jim. I told Pam that you wouldn’t get that job. She was so sure that you were going to get it. She went on and on about it all day, how qualified you are, how smart you are, how everybody loves Jim, blah, blah, blah,” he spat. “Her loyalty to you is truly nauseating at times. You don’t deserve it.”

 

Jim nodded, flipping on his computer as a slow smile spread across his face. “That’s really nice of you to say, Dwight—but she was right. I did get the job.”

 

Dwight blinked once, his face frozen in shock. Jim smirked.

 

“So—you are now Michael’s boss?”

 

“Nah, I’m not Michael’s new boss. I don’t know who is, come to think of it. I turned it down,” Jim pulled open his top desk drawer to look for some paper and a pen to write a note to Pam before he left to get ready for their date. Inside, he found an envelope with his name scribbled in blue ink on the front. He raised an eyebrow and carefully opened the flap, pulling the single sheet of paper out from inside.

 

“You did what? That’s preposterous! Even for you, Jim.”

 

Jim quickly glanced over the paper in his hands before returning his attention to Dwight. He shrugged. “They wanted me to be a spy at Staples’ corporate offices. I told them I was a very trustworthy person and I would make a terrible spy. I’m really bad at keeping secrets.”

 

Dwight laughed. “They offered you a position as a corporate spy and you didn’t take it? You are so lame.”

 

He nodded in mock defeat. “Maybe you’re right, Dwight. That’s why when they asked my opinion—as assistant regional manager of the branch—who from Scranton best fit the profile they were looking for? I told them you, without a doubt.”

 

Dwight’s eyes grew wide like saucers. “Me?”

 

“Yes. They’ve got their eye on you, Dwight. Stay alert and wait for further instructions.”

Jim could hardly keep a straight face as a Dwight excused himself, mumbling something about needing to prepare himself in the stairwell.

 

Jim looked down at the list in his hands. It was Kevin’s “assignment” from yesterday.

KAREN

corporate, wears pantsuits that show off her ass, has a really pretty face, has never been engaged to a guy in the warehouse (I don't think), has really pretty straight hair, nice to me most of the time, except when I make a comment about how her nicely her pants fit her (which I guess I understand), 5'4" (got that from Dwight), Pisces, not quite sure if she loves you but she probably does since she's your girlfriend.

PAM

not corporate, has bigger breasts than Karen, has a really pretty face too, was engaged to a guy who tried to kill you, has really pretty curly hair (but it looks nice when she straightens it too), nice to me most of the time except when I make a comment about her boobs (which I guess I understand), 5'4 1/2" (that's from Dwight), Pisces, totally sure she's in love with you, I mean she walked through fire for you.

 

 

 

Totally sure she’s in love with you, I mean she walked through fire for you.

 

The door to the conference room opened and Jim snapped up his head to look openly at Pam. He couldn’t believe he actually was allowed to do that now—for the first time in his life. She walked slowly towards him with a smile on her lips, her eyes and nose bright red. She pulled the chair away from his old desk and sat down, turning towards him. Jim quickly folded up the paper in his hands and stuffed it back into its envelope.

 

“What’s that?” she asked casually.

 

“Oh, nothing. Just something Kevin was working on for me while I was gone yesterday.”

 

She nodded with a smile. “I just—I can’t believe you’re here. I really thought that we would never—“ He quickly reached out his hand to hold hers underneath the desk.

 

“—I’ll explain everything tonight at dinner, I promise.” He smiled at her and cocked his head to the side. “Please don’t cry.”

 

Her lip began to quiver and she smiled as she tried to bite back the tears that were forming fast. “I’m such an idiot.”

 

“No,” Jim said softly. “I am. I will make it all up to you, even if it takes the rest of my life.”

 

Pam sniffled and squeezed his hand. “I would like that.” They really looked at each other for a few moments, almost as if they were meeting again for the first time.

 

Kelly suddenly swung open the kitchen door, stopping in her tracks when she saw Pam sitting at Jim and Ryan’s old desk. She walked quickly towards them as she rubbed her eyes and nose with tissue. “Oh my God, Pam, I need to talk to you, please!” She looked down and saw them holding hands and her face froze. She burst into tears.

 

“Kelly, what’s wrong?” she stood up and put her hands on Kelly’s shoulders. “What happened?” Jim stood up and placed one hand over Pam’s.

 

Kelly stopped crying and looked up at both of them, from Pam’s concerned face to Jim’s confused one. Her eyes slowly lit up as if she was having an epiphany. “You guys—Jim, you’re supposed to be in New York. And Pam—why were you holding hands with Jim if he’s with—OH MY GOD!” she squealed, jumping up and down. She leaned in to quietly deliver her next observation. “Oh my God, you guys are going to make the prettiest babies!” The rest of the office looked up and Pam’s eyes grew large.

 

“Um, yeah, Kelly, how about we go talk about what’s got you upset—in the break room?” Jim put a hand on her back and guided her gently back towards the annex. He turned behind to look at Pam as she walked quickly behind them. His eyebrows raised in surprise. She clapped her hand over her mouth to stop herself from laughing.

 

As the trio passed by them, Kevin looked up from he and Oscar’s marathon game of Hateball and nodded approvingly towards Jim. ”Niiiiiiiiiice.”



downtown is the author of 12 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked The Assignment also liked 2596 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans