- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Jim sat at his desk trying, pretending to work but actually he was IM'ing back and forth with Pam, who had explained in further detail what had happened with Kelly.  Now they were both joking about it and Jim was fighting hard to suppress a giggle.

He didn't even notice Kevin standing behind him, until he heard him say his name.  Jim quickly closed the IM window and turned in his chair to look up at Kevin.  "What's up, Kev?" he asked nonchalantly.

"Um, I have that list you requested," Kevin answered in a hushed tone.

"List?"  Jim had no idea what he was talking about.

"You know, Karen versus - "

"Okay!"  Jim jumped up suddenly as he felt both Karen's and Pam's eyes on them.  "Let's talk about this... not... here."  He led Kevin into the kitchen.

"So here's the list," Kevin said, handing him a piece of notebook paper.

"Um, thanks, but I don't think I need it anymore.  You do know that Karen and I broke up, right?"  Jim looked through the window where he saw Karen staring daggers at him.

"Yeah," Kevin replied, "but I thought you might still want it.  You know, just in case." 

"In case of what?"

"In case, you know, you might go back to Pam."

Jim stared at him for a moment, and then said, "And how exactly would that help me?"

"Well, you might need reminding of her good qualities," Kevin answered, "and they're all right here."  He pointed to the list.

Jim chuckled.  "Thanks, Kev."  He looked down at the list and skimmed over it.  Most of it was superficial, like Pam's bigger breasts and Karen's pantsuits.  But item number twelve under Pam's name made Jim smile - "Walked over hot coals.  (Karen wouldn't do that - ice queen?)"

Jim put the list in his pocket as he walked back to his desk.  Pam was looking at him with interest.  As soon as he sat down he heard the faint ping of an IM coming from his computer.

beeswax0421:  so what was that about?

3holepunchjim:  whatever do you mean?

beeswax0421:  what did Kevin want?

3holepunchjim:  i'll show you after work.  you're just going to have to wait and see.  ;)


With that he looked up and gave her a small smile.  She raised her eyebrows and glared at him, then quickly looked down at her desk before anyone noticed her looking at him.  She hated the secrecy but reminded herself it was just for another week.

Later on in the afternoon Jim went to get a soda out of the vending machine.  Kevin was there slowly looking over the snack machine, trying to decide what to get.  He looked over and noticed Jim, who was now opening his soda and taking a sip.

"So Jim," he said, "Karen and Pam.  Which one do you think is better... in bed?"  He giggled.  Jim snorted soda out his nose.

"Oh, Jim totally knows the answer to that one!" came a voice from the doorway.  Kelly quickly put her hands over her mouth.  "Oops," she said as she backed away and left the room.

Jim stood there, soda in hand, grimacing.

"Dude," Kevin said.

Jim opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"Dude!"

"Shhh!  Kevin, please, just... I don't want to..."  Jim looked around, making sure no one else was about to enter the room.

"Dude!"

"Okay, okay, enough with the 'dude.'  Pam and I are just... dating, but we don't want anyone to know yet."

"How long?"

"Excuse me?"

"How long have you been 'just dating'?" Kevin repeated, with air quotes, then he giggled again.

"A week, maybe?"  Jim did not want to have this conversation with, well, anyone.

Kevin nodded, and then said, "Hey, didn't you just break up with Karen a week ago?"  Then his eyes got wide.  "Dude, did you do them both in one day?"

Jim stared at him.  "Um, no, of course not..."

"You totally did!  That's every guy's fantasy!  Dude!"

"Okay.  I am, uh, kind of done talking about this.  Just please, keep this to yourself, okay?  Please?"

"Dude!"

Jim looked at him blankly, and walked to the door.

"Hey Jim," Kevin called after him.

He turned around but didn't say anything.

"You were right."

"About what?" Jim asked.

Kevin was smirking.  "You didn't need the list after all." 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans