- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
On Monday morning, Toby knocked on Michael's office door.

"What is it, Toby? Can't you see I am busy?"

Toby looked at Michael's bare desk, sighed, and presented him with a stack of papers. "You need to sign these," he said. "The final transfer papers for Karen and Ryan - " Michael snorted. He had not taken news of Ryan's promotion well. " - and this relationship disclosure form for..."

"What?" Michael jolted his head up. "Relationship disclosure? For who? Let me see!" He snatched the form from Toby and looked it over. "Jim and Pam? No. Way." He laughed. "Those crazy kids. I always knew they would get together eventually."

"Yeah, didn't we all," mumbled Toby as he reached for the door and prepared to leave. "Just bring me the papers when you're done with them." He paused for a moment before he opened the door and turned back to Michael. "By the way, Michael, Pam and Jim don't want anyone to know about this so they would appreciate your discretion."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just get out of here," Michael said, dismissing Toby with a wave. Toby obliged. He hated Mondays.

Jim and Pam hated Mondays too. They had spent the rest of Thursday and all of Friday carefully avoiding each other at work, so as not to be found out by any more of their co-workers. Sure, they IM'd each other all day but they never spoke and made very little eye contact, and it nearly killed them. They made up for it over the weekend, which was spent almost entirely in bed, but now it was Monday, and since their magical weekend had ended too soon, they were both feeling a little down.

3holepunchjim: hey, what are you doing?

beeswax0421: sudoku, why do you ask?

3holepunchjim: I miss you

beeswax0421: what do you mean, i am like five feet away? ;)

3holepunchjim: you know what I mean, dork. Maybe we should go to lunch?

beeswax0421: no, it would be too obvious.

3holepunchjim: well then maybe we should plan an accidental encounter in the supply closet.

Pam giggled out loud, and tried with all her might not to look directly at Jim. He held back a grin and got up with the intention of going to the men's room, but he heard Michael call his name.

"Yes?" he said, poking his head in Michael's office.

"Come in," Michael said, and added with an air of secrecy, "but close the door."

Jim did as directed and sat down. Michael was smiling, and whispered, "Why didn't you tell me about, you know, you and Pam?"

"Oh, God, not again," Jim groaned, and started to get up.

"No, no! Don't leave. I need all the juicy details."

"Michael, I'm not going to discuss it..."

"Oh come on!" Michael protested. "You were just with Karen like a week ago - "

"Ten days," Jim corrected.

"And now you're with Pam and I'm the first to know?"

Ah, Michael, Jim thought, always wanting to be the first to know. "Actually, you're not the first to know, and I am still not talking about it."

"Toby doesn't count," Michael insisted.

Jim looked at him, and replied, "Seriously, Michael, Pam and I aren't telling people for a reason. I just broke up with Karen and I don't want to hurt her more than I already have..."

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Michael asked, perplexed. "That's kind of a jerky thing to do isn't it? Dump your girlfriend and immediately go after someone else like the next day."

Same day, Jim thought, but there was no way he would ever say that out loud to Michael. "Um, yeah, which is exactly why I don't want to - "

"Weird, I never pegged you for an asshole," Michael shrugged.

Jim had no response so he just stood up and headed toward the door.

"Don't worry, your secret is totally safe with me," Michael called after him, with no regard for the fact that everyone could now hear him.

3holepunchjim: Michael knows.

beeswax0421: no! you're joking right. please tell me you're joking!

3holepunchjim: alas, I am not.

beeswax0421: nooooooo

3holepunchjim: I guess Toby must've told him, he probably had to sign the paper.

beeswax0421: everyone will know, jim. EVERYONE.

3holepunchjim: I know. maybe we should just accept it.

beeswax0421: what? I thought you didn't want her to find out.

3holepunchjim: I know, but I am already an asshole, so what difference does it make?

He got up from his desk and headed to the bathroom. Pam watched him go, frowning, no longer caring if anyone noticed her looking at him.

He did feel like an asshole, and for some reason's Michael's words stung more than they usually would have. He thought maybe he should just tell Karen the truth. Who knows, maybe she already knew anyway. It seemed like everyone else did. He stayed in the bathroom for a few minutes, dousing his face with water and staring at his reflection in the mirror. Stupid haircut, he mused. Stupid asshole haircut.

When he went back to his desk he noticed Pam was not at hers. He looked at his computer monitor and found she had sent him a one-line email: Supply closet. 10:30. Be there.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans