- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Theoretically, this should be the last chapter. But there are some loose ends that need to be tied up, so stay tuned for an epilogue.  And perhaps the title will need to be adjusted accordingly.  ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"Question: where is Jim Halpert?"

Dwight was standing in Michael's office, holding a file folder in his hand. A client of Jim's had called with a problem with an order, and needed it resolved immediately. Jim, however, was nowhere to be found, and it was only 10:45 so he couldn't have gone to lunch already. He had already been missing for approximately 15 minutes and was not in the men's room, the men's room stall, the breakroom, the kitchen or in his car. Dwight had made sure to check them all. He hadn't checked the ladies' room yet but that was only because he was pretty sure Meredith was in there.

"How the hell should I know, Dwight? Why don't you ask Pam?" He snickered a tiny bit.

"Pam is not at her desk either," Dwight replied.

Michael looked out toward the reception desk and nodded. "Ah, so she's not. Maybe you should check the supply closet!" At that he erupted into a full-blown giggle fit at the thought.

Dwight stared at him blankly, said, "Okay," and walked out the door, heading to the hallway behind the conference room where the supply closet was located.

Michael shook his head and muttered to himself, "Idiot." Dwight never got any of his jokes.

Dwight swung open the door to the supply closet and found that Michael had been right. Both Jim and Pam were present. However, they were quite surprised to see Dwight and immediately looked guilty... of something. He was sure they were plotting another prank against him.

"Dwight! Hey, how's it going?" Jim said, nervously, running a hand through his hair. "I was just... getting some Wite-Out." He randomly picked up some Scotch Tape and showed it to Dwight.

Dwight just glared. "I'm not an idiot, Jim," he snarled. "You two are obviously up to something." That is when he noticed that Jim's shirt was untucked, his hair disheveled, and his tie askew. Pam was in a similar state - her hair was a mess, her barrette half hanging off the back of her head, and her shoes were off. In fact, they both looked as if they had been in a plane crash. What kind of prank would account for them pretending to be in a plane crash? Dwight wasn't sure.

Jim and Pam just looked at each other, and then they both slightly smiled into each other's eyes. And that's when he knew. It wasn't a prank after all.

"Hey... were you two... engaging in inappropriate workplace activities in there?" he asked with disgust.

They looked at each other again, and Jim turned back to Dwight. "Nothing that you haven't already done with Angela, probably in this same place," he returned, a small smirk appearing on his face.

Dwight was taken aback. How could Jim know? Nobody knew! He was so surprised that he didn't notice that Pam was also taken aback. She grabbed Jim's arm. "You know?"

He looked down at her. "You know?"

She nodded rapidly. "How long have you known?"

"A couple of months. You?"

"Oh, like a year and a half. I was dying to tell you but - "

"Stop!" Dwight yelled. "This is not about me and Angela," he said, lowering his voice as he looked around.

"Oh, it's not?" Jim replied. "'Cause I kind of thought..."

"Yeah, me too," said Pam, nodding and choking back a giggle.

"Okay, okay! I will let it go. This time. But if it happens again I will go to Michael and report this unprofessional behavior," Dwight said sternly.

"Oh, okay," Jim said. "Um, just of curiosity, who told you we were here?"

"Michael."

"Alright then," he smiled, and turned back to Pam as he tucked in his shirt. "I think it's time to get back to work, wouldn't you agree, Pam?"

"Most definitely," she said, leaning on his arm as she slipped on her shoes. "See you later, Dwight."

Dwight just stood there as they walked past him. How had they found out his secret? And worse, who else knew? Paranoia gripped him as he walked back to send a succinct email to Angela letting her know that there was a "Code Orange" that had to be dealt with.

Meanwhile, Jim and Pam had returned to their desks at different times so as not to arouse suspicion, and then set to work on their own damage control.

beeswax0421: OMG!

3holepunchjim: I know! caught by Dwight of all people!

beeswax0421: not only that, but we just HAD SEX IN THE SUPPLY CLOSET.


Jim laughed out loud, and then tried to cover it with a cough.

3holepunchjim: I guess I can scratch that off my list as a fantasy fulfilled.

beeswax0421: really?

3holepunchjim: oh yeah. that's been on the list for years. and years.


Pam snorted, and tried to disguise it with a fake sneeze.

beeswax0421: so now what are we going to do? kelly, kevin, dwight, michael, toby... who else can possibly find out?

3holepunchjim: maybe I should just tell her.

beeswax0421: oh, come on, we only have a few more days. we don't want to make things more uncomfortable for her than they already are.

3holepunchjim: I know. I just... want to be able to be open about this.

beeswax0421: just a few more days, then we can do it right on your desk instead of sneaking off to the supply closet. ;)

He looked up and smiled at her. She was right. They just had to make it until Friday. But it was going to be a long week.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans