- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If Pam had married Roy...

A million thanks to TooLateKev and Wildberryjam for keeping my writing from being crap. :) 

"Jim!"

"Hey man" Jim stepped onto the porch to hug Ben, "It’s been too long."

"Yeah, it has."

Jim and Ben don't hang out like they used to.  That's because Ben and their older brother Jon both have families, and real lives.  The kind of real lives that Jim had been convinced he would have by now.

"Listen, thanks for coming all the way up here."

"It is not a problem. I wasn't going to leave you high and dry on your birthday."

Thirty-five years old.  He had to call his little brother and sound as pathetic as possible to ensure that he wouldn't spend this birthday alone.

"So you're like, officially old now, aren't you?" Ben teased following Jim to the kitchen.

"If I remember correctly," Jim said reaching into the fridge for two beers, "someone is turning 30 in a month." 

 Ben snatched the beer, "Please don't remind me." They went to the small living room where Jim had been keeping the Xbox warm. Ben sighed and flopped down on the couch.  "So, how are you?"

Jim took a big swig of beer. "I'm doing all right."

And the truth was, he was all right.

After the Stamford branch had closed, Jim had decided to stay in Connecticut.  He'd gotten a sales job with a kitchen supplier and they had paid for him to go to night school and get his MBA.  Now he was in charge of the entire staff of the Fairfield office.  It wasn't a terrible job –  repetitive, boring at times. But the money was good, and he was proud that he was able to make a career for himself.

"Mom came by last weekend and she said she hasn't seen you since Easter." Ben mentioned in the middle of their Halo game.

"Yeah, I know I should go see her. It's just Scranton..."

Ben sighed knowingly.  He remembered all too well Jim's accidental meeting with Pam at the Price Chopper on Easter Sunday.  He came home sulky and mom opened her mouth about how pretty that new baby of hers was.  Then, Jim got drunk. 

Ben changed the subject, "Are you seeing anyone?"

Jim couldn't help but smile, "Um, yeah.  Yeah, there’s a girl."

He met her at the grocery store about a month before.  He was walking toward the store when he saw a little blond boy of about three running from the entrance toward the parking lot as fast as his tiny legs could carry him.Jim scooped him up before he could reach the curb.

A frantic woman appeared in the doorway of the store, her matching blonde hair and terrified expression gave her away as the mother of the future track star in Jim’s arms. 

 He came toward her and he’d expected her to look relieved but her face was still frozen in terror. Jim tried to smile his warmest smile, “Does this belong to you?” he joked.

She finally took a breath, “Thank you, so much.”  She reached for the boy and he climbed into her arms.

Her voice was so small; she was thin, tired looking.  Jim had a sudden urge to make her smile.

He turned the Halpert charm toward the squirming child in her arms, “Hey, what’s your name?” The boy stuck his fingers in his mouth and mumbled something before quickly tucking his head into his mother’s neck.

“His name is James.” She smiled, “and even though he’s fast, he’s very shy.”

“You know James, that’s my name too.  But everyone calls me Jim.”  Little James smiled and Jim turned his attention to his mother, “And what’s your name?”

“My mother named me Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny.”

“Well, it was lovely to meet you Penny.  James, don’t run away from your mommy anymore, because there probably won’t always be a nice guy like me to save you.”  He flashed one more smile at Penny before turning to enter the store.

 He walked slowly, hoping she would say something.  He’d already been a cheese ball and he didn’t want to have to ask her out and be rejected.  He tried not to act to excited when she’d called his name.

“Jim, do you think I could get your number?”  She was blushing like crazy.  It was completely adorable.

“Why, do you need a babysitter?” he joked.  Which he immediately regretted, the last thing he wanted was for her to think he wasn't interested...or that he was a creepy old man.

She stared down at the pavement and practically whispered, “I will if you go out with me this weekend.”

 It was like Penny and Jim needed each other.  James’ father was awful to her.  Jim didn't really know the details and he didn't expect her to share them anytime soon. All he knew is that it was bad, and there was a good reason he wasn't around anymore.  He did know that she was afraid of love, but she was more afraid of being alone.  

Jim hadn’t been happy in years, but when he was with her, spending their evenings watching that same Thomas the Tank Engine DVD with James, he was pretty sure that he could be.

Ben had to go home after one or two games, Jim had won both.  He lived an hour away and his wife expected him home in time to help get the kids to bed.  

Jim hugged his brother, “Thanks a lot for coming, man.”

“Will I be seeing you at Thanksgiving?”

Jim nodded, “Yeah, I’ll be there.”

“You should bring Penny and Jim Jr.," he smiled.

“I’ll think about it.”

“She might have figured out how annoying you are by then,  though.”

“Too late.”

"Where is she by the way?"

"Couldn't get a sitter, I'm gonna see her tomorrow."

“Call mom.”

“Okay Ben, seriously, go!” he laughed.

Ben stopped and looked at his big brother, "But really, I'm glad to see you're doing all right."

Jim was glad too.

Chapter End Notes:

I had intended for Jim to be miserable without Pam, but I just couldn't do it.  He just isn't a miserable kind of guy.

Also, the lovely Penny is derived directly from a character on my second favorite tv show.  If you can guess who it is, I will seriously get you some sort of prize. (Hint: the character's name ISN'T Penny)

Comments and criticism are always appreciated


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans