- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I’m bored and easily amused. I don’t own The Office or anything else. Seriously. Don’t sue. Pretty please.

This takes place pre-series.

Thanks to McGigi for the beta. Because, yeah. She is awesome like that. Any mistakes are mine.

It was February 13th and Jim still didn’t know what he was getting Pam for Valentine’s Day.

“Why don’t they make a card that says ‘Hey, I am pretty sure I’m in love with you even though you are just my engaged co-worker’?” Jim mumbled to himself as he scanned the cards all lined up all with hearts and messages of love and friendship.

Finally, one card caught his eye – it showed someone in a jail cell. “To my partner in crime,” he read, flipping it open. “At least we have conjugal visits… god, why is this so hard!”

“Having trouble, my boy?”

Jim turned to face the old man a few feet away.

“Yeah, I guess. Just trying to find a card for a friend.”

“Sounds like she’s more than that.”

“Nah. I mean, just, she’s just a good friend.”

“Can’t go wrong with flowers, son. Don’t waste your money on a card.” This earned him a glare from the nearby workers.

“Nah, she’s engaged. It’s wrong to give her flowers…” Jim’s voice trailed off as he thought about that idea.

“Tell you what, my boy. A few stores down is a florist. Go in; tell them you want a striped carnation. Tell ‘em that Lou sent ya. Trust me.” With that, the man walked off.

Jim stared at the cards for a few more minutes, and then gave up. “Who knows, maybe a flower isn’t such a bad thing. Roy probably won’t even get her any,” he thought as he searched for the florist. “Ah, McCarthy Flowers, this must be it.”

As he entered, a bell rang, and a worker quickly appeared at the desk. “May I help you?”

“Um, yeah. A guy named Lou, well, he told me to get a striped carnation? I don’t know…”

“Ah, Lou. He’s a good guy. Do you just want one or a bouquet?”

“Um, a small bouquet, I guess.”

“Okay, if you want to wait, I’ll have it ready in just a few minutes.”

“Sounds good.” Jim wandered around the shop, looking at the various plants and flowers.

“Okay, sir. Here is your bouquet – twelve dollars.” Jim dug out the cash before taking the bouquet. “And, one piece of advice – tell her.”

“What?”

“Striped carnations. They symbolize regret for a love that can’t be shared. Don’t keep regretting it. Tell her.”

As Jim walked out of the store, he thought, “Maybe flowers were the right choice after all.”

Chapter End Notes:

(I have never been to a florist in my life… so forgive anything wrong with that).

This story was inspired by Wikipedia, which I don’t know if it is true or anything (“Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information”), but apparently, striped carnations really do symbolize a regret that a love cannot be shared.

Ya know what, share the love, leave a review. :)



EmilyHalpert is the author of 44 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Striped Carnations also liked 1535 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans