- Text Size +

“How do I look, Mom?” Pam twirled around in her light pink prom dress.

“Gorgeous. Now stay still so I can take some pictures.”

            “Mommmm!”

            “It’s my daughter’s first prom, I am going to take pictures whether she likes it or not.” 

            “Roy will be here any second. I don’t need you snapping pictures like there is no tomorrow when he shows up.”

            “Oh, sweetie. He will understand. Okay, now, walk down the stairs; I want to take a picture of you like that. Nick! Come see your daughter.”

            Pam walked slowly down the stairs – more for her benefit than her mothers. She was wearing heels, and was afraid she would trip. Pam knew she looked beautiful. Her hair was done in loose curls that tumbled down her back. Roy was bringing her a corsage that she had helped him pick out the day before. Pam couldn’t believe the transformation, she felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. She knew tonight would be special – it was prom after all.

            Just then, the doorbell rang. Roy stood there in his rented tux, holding the corsage awkwardly.

            “Hey Pam. You look real pretty. I, um, I brought this for you.” He held out the corsage.

            “Oh. Okay, thanks.” Pam hesitated for a second, expecting him to help pin it on, but did it herself when she realized he wasn’t going to.

            After what felt like an hour of picture time, (her mom kept squealing, “Oh you two look so cute!”) Pam and Roy left for the prom.

            The prom was everything that Pam expected and more. She felt amazing, and couldn’t help but picture her wedding with Roy as they danced on the floor. She felt as if the world was at her fingertips and she couldn’t wait to spend the rest of her life with him at her side.

            Near midnight, Roy started asking if she was ready to leave, “Come on, Chris has some beer in his truck, let’s go.”

            Pam sighed and said goodbye to her friends. She didn’t like beer, but it was prom night.

            By one thirty, Roy had knocked back more than a few beers, but Pam was still sipping on her first one. They were sitting on the tailgate of Roy’s truck, and Roy started to come onto her.

            “Come on, Pammy. It’s prom night,” he said, giving her a sloppy kiss.

            “Don’t call me Pammy, Roy. I told you I didn’t like that.”

            “Aww, Pammy. Don’t be so uptight. Now just take off your dress.”

            “No, Roy. You’re drunk. And I told you not to call me Pammy.”

            “Come on, you know I’m just kidding around.”

            Pam could tell that Roy wasn’t going to last much longer – the alcohol was getting to him. She had wanted this night to be special, but he had ruined it by getting drunk. If she could just keep him off of her for a few more minutes, he would pass out.

            True to form, Roy was out just a few minutes later. The last thing he said that night was, “Come on Pammy. I’ll show you a good time.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans