- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N: A big jump in time. I told you these didn’t go in any order. At first I was just going to keep them all the same childhood thing, but then, getting depressed made me realize how many special father daughter moments there are when you grow up. Hence, this chapter. And I will totally admit, some of these chapters that take place when she is older (I have at least two more planned) do take on a slightly sadder tone. Just warning you.

            Jim carried the last box into the room. “Sheesh, Claire. Did you pack enough stuff?”

            “I need all of this! I am at college now.”

            “So, college girls need their teddy bears?” Jim teased, picking up the bear lying on top of the boxes.

            “Dad!” Claire embarrassedly grabbed the bear and stuffed it in a box. “There are guys around. I don’t want them to see Clunkers!”

            “Okay, Claires…” Jim pauses, looking around the room. “I guess that’s it. I have to start heading home.”

            “Now?” Claire’s voice was sad, even though she was trying to remain strong.

            “It’s a five hour drive,” Jim’s voice was breaking. “I mean, you could have gone to college in Scranton, but no, you had to go to big, fancy art school in New York.” Jim’s joke fell flat as he saw his daughter’s face. “It’ll be okay, Care Bear. I promise. You will do great, and we will visit you so much you will see us more now than you did at home.” Jim pulls her in close for a hug. “I promise, Claire. I promise.” Jim kisses the top of her head before leaving. “Bye, Claires.”

Chapter End Notes:

Okay, so not sure with distances to big fancy art schools. And there was actually going to be a bit more to this scene, but I decided to end it there.

Anyways, I will admit I got teary eyed while writing this, for a different reason than Jim and Claire. But still.

Also, small Friends reference. Bonus points if you catch it. I think it is insanely obvious.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans