- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: If I owned anything related to The Office, I certainly wouldn't be writing fan fiction. As it is, I don't own and I do write.

This is where the story really begins ;o)

*I started this chapter with the last sentence from the last chapter - just a reminder of where we left off...

As he knocked and heard Jan welcome him inside, he thought to himself, If all the women here are like Grace, I might not make it through the day.

_________ 

But he did make it through the day. And over the next few weeks, Hunter realized that there was no one quite like Grace.

 

Jan was gone. After less than two months working for her, she was gone. The day after Jan was fired, David Wallace called a meeting to discuss “further employment changes at Dunder Mifflin”.

Hunter nervously walked into the intimidating conference room. Surely he was going to be fired. After all, he was Jan’s personal assistant, and Jan was no longer there.

His anxiety vanished when he saw her. She was sitting in the back row, leaning over the chair next to her, and Hunter knew she was trying to inconspicuously save him a seat.

 

It had only been six weeks since he met Grace, but she had quickly become one of his closest friends. She listened when he talked, whether it was about his band or his family. When she would tell him about her life, her friends or her photography classes, he could not have been more attentive or interested. She had the greatest sense of humor and the most contagious laugh.

And that was only the beginning. To him, she was perfect. And today, at the end of the workday (that is, if he still had a job), he was going to make his move - he had the perfect plan. He was going to officially ask her out on a date.

 

Hunter walked to the back where she was awkwardly positioned between the two seats.

“Is this seat taken?”, he playfully asked through his developing smile.

Her eyes bore into his as she replied, “Just hurry up and sit down before I change my mind.”

He happily obeyed and took his seat as David walked into the room. His nerves returned and the thought of losing his job slowly crept back.

Grace seemed to have read his mind. “You have nothing to worry about. You were the perfect assistant to Jan, and he would be crazy to get rid of you.”

Hunter felt his heart flutter, but, as usual, Grace’s words had the power to calm and soothe him. It was the best he had felt all day, and when the meeting started, Hunter felt confident that today would be a good day.

 

Twenty minutes later, Hunter walked into his office, which was more like a tiny alcove connected to Jan’s former office. He was not fired, but he was told who would be replacing Jan: some former temp from the Scranton branch, Ryan Howard. Apparently, he had only worked for Dunder Mifflin for three years and was barely older than Hunter. But Wallace thought he was ambitious and dedicated and could help turn the company around. Ryan would be starting his new job on Monday.

Hunter didn’t have time to think about his new boss. It was almost four o’clock already; if he was going to go ahead with his creative - albeit somewhat elaborate - plan, he had to act fast.

 

 

He had spent the entire previous night thinking (almost obsessing) about the perfect way to ask out the love of his life. He wanted it to be meaningful and special. Grace wasn’t like normal girls; when it came to her, anything less than perfect would be unacceptable.

After hours of laying on his bed listening to music, it came to him. It may be a little juvenile, but it was sweet and personal, and he knew Grace would love it.

 

 

It was now past four. He had spent more than ten minutes sitting at his desk, staring at the burned CD in his hands. It had all his favorite love songs on it, everything from Journey to Elton John. He even added an NSYNC song at the last minute.

The last track on the CD was a song he wrote when he first started his band. He had never played it for anyone. It was kind of cheesy and too personal to share with his band mates, but it described his feelings for Grace perfectly.

There was also a note he wrote that morning as a supplement to the music. Just in case she didn’t get the message. He decided against telling her he loved her, even though he was sure he did. He simply asked for a date.

Last night it had seemed like such a good idea. But now, holding the CD in his hand, sitting only a few rooms away from Grace, Hunter was having second thoughts. Maybe it was too much too soon. Maybe he should simply go up to her reception desk and ask her to dinner. Maybe he should just wait a few more weeks until they got to know each other better.

No, he had to do this. He glanced at the clock. Four thirty.

He would just go up to her, give her the note/CD, and tell her to read/listen when she got home. The worst thing that could happen would be that Grace would say no. Then at least he would know that she didn’t feel the same way. They could stay friends, and he could move on with his life. Before he had time to change his mind again, Hunter walked out of his office carrying the CD and letter.

 

Grace wasn’t at her desk. She wasn’t in the lobby at all. Hunter took a seat and let out a sigh. Maybe she was in the bathroom. The light jacket she brought was still there, so he knew she didn’t leave yet.

Five minutes later he heard her unmistakable laugh filter through the room, and she walked through the doors. She wasn’t alone. Walking a step behind her was a tall, light-haired man who looked slightly familiar to Hunter.

Grace noticed Hunter waiting for her and her face lit up. He knew she cared for him and that she was really happy to work with him. But he didn’t know if she wanted more.

“Hey, Hunter! I was worried you might have left already. This is Ray. He works in the warehouse next door.”

Hunter’s eyes shifted over to the man. The two greeted each other and pleasantly shook hands.

“Ray and I were going to go to Chili’s for a drink. Will you please come with us?”

Hunter felt his mouth go dry. Of course he couldn’t go. He wanted to suggest that they go to Chili’s without Ray. But he just shook his head.

“Sorry, I can’t. I really need to get home. I just was waiting for you in case you wanted to walk out together.”

That sounded pathetic. I’m here waiting to walk a few yards with her while she’s making plans with another guy. I am pathetic.

Grace’s voice interrupted his depressing thoughts.

“What’s that?” Hunter’s gaze followed her fingers to his own hands. He had completely forgotten about his formerly-perfect plan.

“Oh, nothing. I found an old CD when I was cleaning my desk.”

“You’ve been here for how many weeks and you’re already finding lost treasures?” He couldn’t handle her usually adorable teasing. Not now.

“Yeah, really. Well, I should go. See you on Monday.” He turned to leave before he remembered the third party. “Nice to meet you, Ray.”

If Ray said anything back, Hunter didn’t hear it. His heart was pounding in his ears as he returned to his office.

Four forty-five. Technically the day wasn’t over until five. But it was Friday, and usually everyone left a little early. Grace and Ray certainly didn’t have a problem breaking company rules.

Hunter pulled his bag over his shoulder and took the back way out, just in case they were still in the lobby. It wasn’t until he got into his car that he realized he was still clutching the CD and the now-crinkled letter.

 

He shoved the note into the glove compartment and pushed the CD into his CD player, letting the words of Billy Joel drown out his deafening heartbeat.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for reading! I have some interesting things in store for our couple, and another favorite couple will be making an appearance...

Reviews are always responded to and greatly appreciated!

 



MoreLikeSwaying is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Hunter also liked 503 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans