- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Reminder: These chapters are seperate unless otherwise noted.  Assume that previous episodes have occured as they did in the show.

...and no, I don't own any of this.

Jim considered his options.  If he went back to Scranton, he would be in contact with Pam again.  It might be painful, but... it was also something that he knew needed to be dealt with.  He had to be professional about this.  He couldn't just give up on an opportunity like being #2 in Scranton just because he was still pining over the receptionist.  He had to make a choice.

"What're you gonna do?" Karen asked, breaking him of his daze.

"Huh?  Oh, um, I don't know.  I mean, it's a guaranteed job, right?  And... I already know the people there, so it's kinda..."  He shrugged.  "I know how to deal with them," he chuckled, though he wasn't sure he knew how to deal with one person in particular.  Her blow had hit a bit harder than Michael or Dwight ever could.  There was serious internal damage in that relationship, and it would take time to heal.  But he still had to face it.  "I think I might take it."

"I'm still undecided," Karen told him, shaking her head.  "I mean, like you said, it's a guaranteed job, but... I have roots here, you know?  I won't know anyone there--except the people who transfer, of course."

Jim shrugged.  "Well, it's not so bad, but... it'll take some getting used to."

Karen nodded.  "Yeah.  I think I'll check and see if anything's available in New York, and if not, I'll just go to Scranton.  I've been here too long to just leave and try to start over somewhere else, you know?"

"Yeah," Jim replied, nodding absently.  He let out a sigh, realizing all that he would do in preparation for the move.  He had physical responsibilities, such as packing, and he had legal responsibilities, like telling his landlord that he was leaving.  But he also had emotional responsibilities: preparing his heart to weather hurricane Pam again.  Talking to her on the phone a few weeks back wasn't bad--it almost seemed like old times.  But seeing her day to day and knowing that she didn't want him--that she saw nothing between them--that was painful.  He couldn't relive that night of the casino event over and over.  He had to face his fears.

 

***

 

Pam was excited when she arrived at work.  She had just finished shopping for the party that Michael had planned, and despite all of the insanity that would surely ensue at a Scott Party, Pam was optimistic about the day.

She met a few of the new people and greeted them warmly.  One of them, a woman named Karen, seemed very nice.  She even complimented her sweater.  Pam thought she seemed nice, but she was also very professional-looking.   She hoped that Karen would make a nice addition to the office, and maybe help to bring a little professionalism to it--but not too much.  With Jim coming back, Pam was sure that the pranks would resume.

It wasn't long before Jim entered with one of the new people.  Michael went up and greeted him, and Pam fixed her hair quickly, waiting for Michael to go away.  While Michael was preoccupied with showing Martin to his desk, Pam rushed towards Jim.

"Hi, I'm Jim.  I'm new here," he said. 

Pam threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly.  It was so comforting to breathe in his scent again.  It was him.  He was really here.  "Oh my god!  It's really you!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, I was just doing a little joke there about how we'd never met," Jim said.  Yeah, cover everything up with a joke.  Typical Halpert.  Nice going, jackass.

"Yeah, I know.  I don't care," she replied.

"Awesome.  Good to be back.  The place looks really good."

"It's really good to see you!" Pam enthused. 

"You too."

 

***

 

Later in the day, Pam found Jim in the break room getting a grape soda.

"Hey," she said, putting her coins into the machine and pressing the Coke button.

"Hey, you."  He popped the top on his soda and looked at Pam.

"So when do I get to hear everything? Are you still getting unpacked or... you want to grab a coffee or something after work?"

Jim bit his lip.  "You know what?  I'm still getting unpacked, so--"

"Oh, right.  Um, well, you know, maybe another time?"

"No, I mean, well, maybe--"

"Oh...kay," Michael said, coming into the break room.  "Didn't mean to interrupt anything."

"Oh, you're not interrupting," Jim assured him.

"Alright," Michael said, taking his leave.

"Um, so..." Pam began.

"You know what?" Jim said.  "Uh, why don't you just come over and I'll order a pizza, and... you can watch me unpack and we can... catch up?"

Pam beamed.  "Yeah," she said.  "That sounds great.  Um, six?  Seven?"

"Six-thirty," Jim said with a grin.  Pam chuckled and nodded.  "Great, well, I gotta... make a call, so... I'll see you tonight."

"Yeah, see you tonight."

 

***

 

Jim had walked Pam out to her car.  He watched her get in as he walked back towards his own car.  At that time, his cell phone rang.  "Hey, Filipelli," he answered.

"Hey, Halpert.  Listen, I could really use a drink tonight.  Wanna come?  Andy and Martin and going, too."

"Um," Jim began.  "Not tonight.  I've... got plans.  You know, catching up with some old Scranton friends... unpacking..."

"Oh."  Karen sounded a little disappointed.  Jim had sensed that she maybe liked him a little, but he had tried his hardest not to encourage it.  Karen was nice, but... until he got things settled with Pam, until everything was understood, he wasn't willing to invest anything into another woman.  Besides, he still was not over Pam.  As nice as Karen was, she wasn't Pam.  And as much fun as it may seem to start dating again, he knew that whoever he dated would just be a distraction--someone to keep his mind off of Pam--like Katy had been.  He didn't want that anymore.  He only wanted Pam.

"Maybe another time, huh?" Jim suggested, though he knew he would probably find an excuse for the next time she asked.

"Uh, yeah.  Sure.  Well, see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."  Jim hung up the phone and tossed it onto his passenger seat.  Smiling to himself, he drove towards his new apartment, eager to get ready for his dinner guest.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
COMMENTS!!!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans