- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The ramifications of Dwight and Pam's little talk.  Semi-spoilers for Traveling Salesmen.  I went a little crazy with this one.  Call it unrealistic, but... it's fanfic, so get over it.  Just enjoy the hilarity.

I didn't create any of this... except Yakusho's bar...

 

Jim sighed, not looking forward to the sales call with Dwight.  He started the engine, and Dwight requested a song change.  Jim rolled his eyes and complied.  Dwight was rambling on about Battlestar Gallactica, and Jim was pretty much ignoring him.

However, walking out after making that sale, Jim was feeling oddly good.  He and Karen hadn't had any late night talks in a few days, and he had just made a sale with a good customer.  He was surprised what a good team he and Dwight actually made.  How could someone who annoyed him to no end possibly be this easy to work with outside of the office?  Sure, he had his quirks, but Dwight really was just a guy--just like him--who was trying to make something of himself.  Maybe Karen was right--maybe he didn't anlways need to pull pranks.  Maybe he should try to act more like an adult.

"Hey, Dwight," Jim said as he pushed the button for his car's alarm.  "Good work today."

Dwight was taken aback.  Never had he heard any such compliment or encouragement from Jim Halpert.  What was he to say in return?  "Why, thank you Jim.  That was very cordial of you to acknowledge my accomplishments."

Jim smiled.  "Yeah, well, you know..."  Jim shrugged.

"Jim, you know what I do after I make a good sale?"

Jim lifted his eyes in thought.  "Buy yourself a new bobblehead?"

"No," Dwight said in a low tone, almost to himself.  "But that is an idea... it would certainly be a good incentive..."  Dwight shook his head, bringing himself back to his original thought.  "No, I go to Yakusho's bar and have a saki to reward myself as well as to remind myself of the disipline of the samurai."

Jim nodded and opened his car door.  Dwight got in behind him.

"Jim," Dwight said in a serious tone.  "Would you like to celebrate with me?"

Jim shrugged.  Going for a drink with Dwight...  It wasn't on his top ten list of exciting things to do, but... he really didn't want to go back to the office.  He avoided the place whenever possible.  "Sure."

Dwight gave Jim extremely acurate directions to Yakusho's.  He parked the car in the small lot and the two salesmen got out.  Dwight walked quickly to the door and Jim followed.  Upon entering, Dwight put his hands together and bowed to the bartender.  "Yakusho," he said reverently.  "I would like two saki, please."

"Made another sale, huh?" the man said, taking two small ceramic cups from the shelf behind him.

"Yes," Dwight concurred, taking a seat at the bar.  "And this is a co-worker of mine who went on the sales call with me.  This is Jim Halpert.  I normally don't trust him, but since he helped me with the sale today, I decided to let him join me."

"Hi," Jim greeted, taking a seat.

Dwight had four sakis, and Jim had only had one.  After the first, he asked for some water and watched as Dwight reminded him more and more of when he had gotten that concussion.  He was actually relaxed, and even a little nice.  He began to slur, and Jim told the bartender to cut him off. 

"Hey, Dwight, how about some coffee?"

"Coffee?" Dwight echoed.  "What for?  I'm not drunk!"

Jim simply nodded his head, wondering what to do with drunk Dwight.  Jim sighed and ordered the coffee.  Dwight almost fell off of his chair.  "Easy, there," Jim said, putting a hand on his back.

"Thanks, Jim," Dwight slurred.  "You know, I may hate you in the office, but outside of work, you're not such a bad guy."

Dwight was definitely drunk.

"You're a good salesman..." he continued.  "You may dress like a moron, but at least you're mostly hygenic.  And you're good with the ladies... I mean, I thought I would be an attractive mate with all the skills I have, but..." Dwight paused to shake his head.  "I only have one girlfriend--you have two."

"I... only have one girlfriend, Dwight."

"Oh, right," Dwight said.  "But you do have two women in love with you, so... that should count for something, right?"

Jim furrowed his brows.  "Ok, you are definitely drunk."

"At least you have options.  Karen is so smart and... and... sophisitacted," Dwight rambled on.  "But Pam is a lot nicer...  And I think she would be better at bearing children..."

Jim chuckled and shook his head.  "Dwight, what one earth are you talking about?"

Dwight looked at Jim with a wrinkled forehead.  "The two women in love with you--Karen and Pam."

"Karen and I are... I mean, we're not... we've only been together for like, two months.  And what are you saying about Pam?  She's not in love with me."

Dwight nodded emphatically.  "That's why she called off her wedding."

"Dwight, where did you get this information?  I think you're making things up."

"Pam told me," Dwight confided.  "At the party... when Michael came back.  She was crying because she had encouraged you and Karen to resolve your argument, and--"

"Wait, Pam confided in YOU?" Jim asked, knowing that now he really was making things up.  Pam would never confide in Dwight.  Jim shook his head and stood.  "C'mon, Dwight--let's get you back to the office where you can sober up.  Are you gonna need a ride home?"

Dwight shook his head.  "I'm fine!" he insisted.

"No you're not," Jim argued.  "Let's go."  Jim took Dwight's arm and put it around his shoulder to half-carry him out the door.  Jim shook his head as he put Dwight in the back seat.  What if Pam did say something to Dwight?  What reason would Dwight have to make something up like that?  Then again, it was Dwight...  But if he had a second chance with Pam...  Jim sighed as he started his car.  He would find out the truth--even if it cost him everything.

Chapter End Notes:

One more part to this scenario... :)

COMMENTS


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans