- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So again...I have no idea where this fits timewise.  I'm assuming the Dundies have happened...but I'm iffy with the rest of S2.  Kindly suspend your disbelief. 

Merci beaucoup!!  Until we meet again....

The Party's Over

(Meredith slurps on her straw loudly.)

I'm always happy when Happy Hour actually begins during work.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The party is winding down.  The heat is getting to everyone and it's nearly four o'clock.

Stanley is snoozing in the shade.

Toby heads downstairs to call corporate and alert them that due to building maintenance issues the office needs to close early. 

It's actually true - since all of the fiddling with the thermostat has now brought the indoor temperature to a chilly 56 degrees.

Meredith sits in the same spot for so long that she now has a sunburn in the design of the chair she had napped in.  Alternating stripes of pink and white adorn her cheeks.

A shrill whistle fills the air, waking Stanley with a start.  "Everyone out of the water!" 

Phyllis steps gracefully to leave the pool as Pam leans back against the side and takes another swig of her mockarita.

Jim swipes water out of his eyes.  "Are you proud of yourself?"

"Immensely."  She smiles widely and takes yet another sip.

She looks so cute he can't hold back a smile.

"Did you not hear me?"  Dwight splashes between them and blows the whistle again.

"I heard you Dwight."  Jim replies.  "I'm also ignoring you."

"Out of the pool."  He orders again.

"Why?"  Pam asks defiantly.

"As appointed lifeguard of this facility…"  Dwight begins.

"Facility being…an inflatable pool I bought at Target."  Jim inserts nodding at Pam.

She snorts and kicks his knee with her foot - which - he just now realizes, has toes painted bubblegum pink.

"That is irrelevant."  Dwight folds his arms across his chest and glowers down at him.

"As is your so-called authority."  Jim counters.

"JIM."  Dwight's patience is now visibly thin.  "It is unhealthy for…"  His voice lowers to a low whisper.  "females to sit in the water for lengthy periods of time."  He whirls around and glares at Pam.  "Do you know the statistics for urinary tract infections in this county?"

Pam sputters as she spits out her drink.

"OH. MY. GOD."  She drops her cup and her eyes bug out of her head.

That was enough for Jim.  "Ohhhhkay."  He says with a sigh as he stands and holds his hand out to Pam.  Grasping hers tightly, he carefully steps over the side.  He can tell she's incredibly unsteady on her feet.  Without giving himself time to think about it he grabs her waist and lifts her out of the pool.  She sways into him as he sets her down.

"Thanks."  She murmurs as she stares up at him.

"You're more than welcome."  He leans close to her ear and whispers back.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Kelly smiles and giggles a bit.)

This was soooooooo fun and all and I'm soooooooo glad I Ryan got a look at my new suit.  I swear he took a double take. Actually - I'm totally sure of it.

(She sighs)

I just hope Club Med has hotter lifeguards than we had here today.  Someone really should tell Dwight that board shorts are what's hot.

Speedos!?  Soooooooo unnecessary. 

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Creed regards the burger in his hand)

Tastes like chicken.

(He shrugs and takes another bite)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Oscar smiles…or at least he appears to.)

Events like this are always a morale booster. 

It's amazing how much damage we can repair when Michael is out of the picture. 

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Pam watches as Jim carefully drains the pool.  She laughs as they both stamp the extra air out of it until it's completely deflated.  She folds the chairs as he wheels the grill to it's hiding spot in the corner.  It could come in handy later this summer.

She can't remember when she's had such a good time.  Then again, if she really stops to think about it she'd realize that she always has the most fun ever when she's with Jim.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Phyllis takes a sweater she keeps in her bottom desk drawer and fashions it into a type of turban.

(She grins widely.)

Jim and Pam did such a wonderful job organizing today.  Everyone had such a good time.

(She winks)

If you ask me those two make quite a pair.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Pam giggles as she watches Jim climb down off the roof.  She stands at the top shakily and he begins to get nervous. 

"Easy, Beesly."  He calls up to her.  "I'm in no shape to drive you to the hospital if you break your leg."

"HA!"  She laughs loudly as he helps her down.  She stumbles as she steps off the last rung of the ladder.  Without warning she turns around in his arms and gives him a smacking kiss on the lips.

He stands there shocked as she laughs again and moves behind him, jumping up on his back, clearly intending for him to give her a piggyback ride.  She curls her arms around his neck and rests her head against his shoulder. 

The feel of her body pressed so closely to his is threatening his sanity.

She smacks her hand on the side of his arm.  "Home James."  She orders and laughs again.

"Your wish - my command."  He says with a half smile, wondering if she knows how much he really means it.

As everyone makes their way back inside, Creed kneels next to the cooler and fills his suit jacket with the remains of Dwight's offerings.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Jim's cheeks are flushed pink.  He looks perplexed and slightly giddy as he gives a bit of a shrug)

OK.  It's official.  There is definitely a direct correlation between margaritas and Pam kissing me.

(He smiles slightly and ducks his head before becoming self conscious.)

Honestly?  I think she's just an affectionate drunk.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The frosty air conditioning has everyone rushing to get back into their office attire.  One by one everyone takes their leave.

Jim whistles as he walks back toward his desk.  He swears he can hear the sound of teeth chattering.

He leans over Pam's desk and is rewarded with a tantalizing view of her butt in the air.  She wiggles a bit and he sucks in a breath.

"Lose something?"  He finally manages.

"I can't find my skirt."  She crawls back to rest on her heels.  She looks up at him with a pout.

He bites back a smile.  "Your mother would be so proud to hear that."

She glares at him and then sighs staring down at her soggy clothes.  "I guess I'll just go home like this." 

Her hair falls in damp ringlets around her shoulders and he loses his concentration for a second as he watches her.

She shivers and he's roused from his reverie.

"I think I can help you out."  He says as he pulls open a desk drawer.  He grabs a spare tee shirt and nods towards the restrooms.  "Follow me."

She recognizes the shirt immediately.  "Jim.  I can't wear that shirt."  She gives him a look.  "I'd rather freeze to death."

He gives her a look.  "C'mon.  Do you think I'd do that to you?"  He slips his tie from his collar and hands it to her.  His fingers fly over the buttons of his shirt and he shrugs it off casually, like it's no big deal for him to be standing bare-chested in front of her.  Pam catches her bottom lip between her teeth and stops breathing for a moment.

He looks much more...well...built than she ever imagined.

She shakes her head vigorously.  Not that she's really imagined him shirtless or anything...

Oblivious to her reaction, he hands her his shirt with a smile.  "It'll fit you like a dress."  He says with a chuckle.

She blinks furiously as she moves to the Ladies Room.  "Um.  Yeah.  Probably." 

As he watches her go he pulls the other shirt over his head.   Michael had them made up as part of one of his brilliant marketing schemes.

Somehow no one really believed that "Dunder-Mifflin Paper.  We'll wipe the competition" would ever really catch on - nor that it would exactly be the image corporate was looking for.

Jim smiles as he catches sight of Pam, who emerges with his shirt skimming her knees, and his tie cinching her waist.  She looks so delicate and tiny he loses his breath again. 

"What do you think?" She asks nervously.  She is acutely aware that he'd just been wearing this shirt himself.  His scent envelopes her - a mixture of clean laundry, spicy deodorant soap and simply…Jim.

She decides then and there to conveniently "forget" to give this shirt back to him.

"Very nice."  He grins as she does a little turn.  He nods towards the door.  "Ready to go?"

She really wasn't but she also knew that all good things must come to an end.  She wonders if Roy will ask her why she's wearing Jim's shirt.  She decides he probably won't even notice.

"Sure."  She replies with a sigh.

They stop at their desks to grab their belongings.  Pam stuffs her water logged clothes in a shopping bag that she swings casually by her side as they wait for the elevator.

Jim keeps his eyes on the lighted numbers, desperately trying to forget that she's standing beside him dressed in his clothes.  It's an image he's daydreamed about for years.  Of course that daydream included her wearing such an outfit after she'd left his bed but he figures that's a little too much for today.

She's happy.  There's really not much more that matters.

He doesn't hear her call his name.  Pam finally elbows Jim in the ribs to get his attention.

"Hmmm?  I'm sorry - what?"

"This was a great idea Jim.  Today was really fun."  She says as she smiles up at him.

"It was wasn't it?"  He replies, smiling back.

She nods and adds - her voice full of sincerity.  "You're really wasting your talent here." 

Jim contemplates for a second.  He's pretty confident that his greatest talent is making her smile.  

The elevator doors open and he leans against them to make sure they don't close before she exits safely.

"I'm not so sure about that."  He whispers too low for her to hear as she walks past him.  

 



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked The Dunder-Mifflin Country Club also liked 1656 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans