- Text Size +

"I don't know if asking Dwight to be the lifeguard was the best idea."  Pam sighs as she helps Jim set up chairs poolside.  "I mean, honestly?  I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to rid myself of that image."  She shudders a bit.

Jim tends to agree, but knows there was no way around it.  Without Dwight's buy in - the whole concept would come crumbling down.  Jim whistles as he drags the garden hose to the pool and begins to fill it.

Unable to stand the heat a moment longer Pam snaps the rubber band she'd fastened to her wrist.  She stretches and pulls her hair back off her face.  A sliver of her stomach becomes visible as she twists her curls into a messy ponytail.

Seeing her in shorts, with her blouse knotted neatly at the waist was difficult enough but this?  Water splashes on Jim's feet and he jumps back.  He'd been so preoccupied watching her that he'd missed the pool completely.

She doesn't notice, or if she does she doesn't say anything.  It's easy to pretend when sunglasses shade your eyes.  She smiles up at him as she plops into a chair, rifling through a box she's pulled into her lap.

"Oooo!  Margarita mix?"  She says with a giggle. 

"Mockarita, Pam."  Jim scolds her.  "Notice there is no tequila.  We are on the clock you know."

xoxoxoxo

(Oscar looks slightly irritated, if not offended.)

Last month Michael organized a Cinco de Mayo party. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him that "my people" did not invent mayonnaise.

xoxoxoxo

Suddenly a life preserver comes flying up and onto the roof.  Pam and Jim hear grunting and then see a large cooler appear, quickly followed by Dwight.  

Pam bites her lip and keeps her eyes level; scared she'll go blind if she takes another look at his attire. 

"What you got there?"  She asks, afraid of the answer.

"Provisions." He says as he stands next to the cooler, hands on his hips.  "It's been a good gaming year.  There was an influx at the farm this spring.  I have enough woodchuck patties for everyone.  Although."  He looks at Pam thoughtfully.  "We might have to supplement with a few beaver burgers..."  He trails off.

Pam's eyes fly open wide and her stomach rolls.  She gives Jim a look that says "He did NOT just say beaver burgers…"

He shakes his head, and holds up a hand, silently letting her know there's no need for worry.  "Thanks Dwight." He smiles as he watches Dwight drop the cooler next to the grill.

One by one they all make the climb to the roof. 

Phyllis appears, wearing an enormous straw hat to shade her face from the sun. 

xoxoxoxo

(Phyllis looks giddy.)

Bobby would have stopped by but on days like today he's in high demand.   I love swimming.    Synchronized is my favorite. 

(She leans forward and whispers.)

I actually won a medal once upon a time.

xoxoxoxo

Angela stalks over to Dwight looking beyond agitated. 

Meredith sinks into a chair immediately, and sips on a Big Gulp she'd just refilled in the break room. 

Kevin is inexplicably wearing a business suit and a snorkel mask.

Oscar has changed into a pastel Hawaiian shirt. 

Toby puts on his sunglasses and rolls up his pant legs.  He surveys the rooftop as the garden hose trickles water over his bare feet.

Ryan is absent, but no one really notices - besides Kelly.  He's taking full advantage of the empty office.  He's holed up in the conference room, studying.  For once, it's as quiet as the library.

xoxoxoxoxo

(Kelly giggles as she fastens a flower in her hair.)

Ryan is sooooooooooo smart.  He's totally got like…Matt Damon's brain from Good Will Hunting, but he looks more like Ben Affleck. 

Except shorter. 

And without the funny accent.

xoxoxoxoxo

Stanley lags behind, huffing and puffing as he makes his way to the roof top.

"Whose idea was this?"  He grumbles as he lumbers over to sit next to Meredith in the cabana.

The pool is finally filled and the grill lit.  Pam stands next to Jim holding a tray full of hamburgers and hot dogs.  She gives him a once over, her gaze moving up and down.  The last time she saw him dressed like this was the day he'd played basketball.  Once again she found herself making mental comparisons.

She blinks and tries to focus on the task at hand. 

"Please tell me you will not let Dwight anywhere near this grill."  She begs.

He smiles back at her.   "I'm conducting an experiment.  I'm thinking beaver burgers taste better when cooked on asphalt."

She peers over his shoulder makes a horrible face.  "Just when I thought it couldn't get more disgusting…"

He laughs loudly.  "Completely understandable, Beesly. When you start with Dwight in a Speedo…the bar's set pretty low."

xoxoxoxo

(A now contented Stanley is calmly working on a crossword puzzle.)

The best thing I can say about today is that Michael isn’t here to ask me if it's really this hot in Africa.

xoxoxoxo

"ATTENTION.  Any one who has just eaten is forbidden to come near the water for a full thirty minutes."  Dwight commands as he paces poolside.

The party is in full swing now.  Jim and Pam sit side by side on lawn chairs, dangling their feet in the pool.  

Phyllis wades through, holding her skirt up above her knees as she chuckles.

"It's a two foot pool Dwight."  Jim says drolly.  "Not to mention that that - is in fact - a myth.  You can swim right after you eat.

Pam takes a sip of her drink and giggles.

"Where did you hear that?"  Dwight asks accusingly.

"The question really should be why haven't you heard that?"  Jim admonishes him as he shakes his head.  "Were you sick that day in lifeguard school? 

"It's not lifeguard school.  Its six weeks of intense physical training.  Question. Have you ever carried a 200 pound dummy through raging water?"  Dwight challenges.

Jim looks at the pool and wonders if Pam splashed really hard it would qualify as raging.  He decides it's too hot to attempt carrying Dwight across the pool to prove a point.

"Can't say that I have."  He replies.

"I didn't think so."  Dwight grumbles and folds his arms across his chest.  He sits on the ledge and takes a bite of his burger.

xoxoxoxoxo

(Kevin gives the camera a look of terror)

I am so not eating that beaver.

xoxoxoxoxo

Shuddering as he watches Dwight eat, Jim leans back in his chair, his foot knocking against Pam's under the water. 

"Sorry."  He says as he straightens his legs and swallows a gulp of his mockarita.  The little drink umbrella she'd fashioned out of cardstock and a binder clip hits him in the nose. 

She's thought of everything.  He smiles.  Her creativity never ceases to amaze him.

"It's OK.  It's not as if you can help it, Jim."  She's still giggling and he feels a bit light headed looking at her.  "Your feet are HUGE!"  She comments, a little too loudly.

Jim gazes over at her and the he thinks the heat must be getting to him.  He regards the drink in his hand.  Suddenly he could swear these mockaritas aren't quite as mock as he originally thought.

Meredith stands to the side, shaking the margarita mix container with excessive force before refilling her cup.  She settles back into her chair and sips through the straw.

Pam's still giggling.  "Well.  You know what they say about big feet." 

"No.  I really don't."  Jim deadpans. 

She shrugs and gives him a smile.  "They say men with big feet also have…"

He holds his breath.

"…big shoes."   She finishes, giggling again.

Not buying her answer completely, he smiles back at her.  "It would stand to reason."  He agrees.

"Need a refill?"  She asks as she moves to stand.  She wobbles and her foot slips on the plastic liner of the pool.

Jim rushes to steady her and his feet tangle with hers, sending them both crashing in the water.

Both come up sputtering and laughing uncontrollably. 

Dwight's suddenly behind Jim, hooking his hands under his arms and trying to drag him over the side. 

"Dwight."  Jim swats him away.  "Get your hands off of me."

Pam wrings out the hem of her shirt as she sits in the water.  The way her clothes are now molded to her have Jim struggling to concentrate. 

It takes great effort but he stands and offers his hand. 

Pam gazes up at him approvingly.  He looks quite muscular in thin wet cotton. 

Pam takes his hand tightly and leverages herself.  With one yank she pulls him back down into the water where he lands with a gigantic splash. 

Water crashes all over Angela, leaving her intensely furious. 

Oblivious, Jim makes another attempt to get up which results in putting Pam into hysterics as she watches him take poor Phyllis down with him.

He's red faced as he surfaces.  "I'm sorry."  He sputters as he looks over at her guiltily. 

Phyllis takes it in stride, and begins to do the backstroke.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans