- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I've been sitting on this one for a while, unsure of what to do with it.  I think I've done as much as I can with it so I'm throwing it on here finally.  Hope you enjoy! 
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: I own none of it!

Lyrics in italics are from Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism.  A song that never fails to make me think of Jim and Pam. 

Many thanks to angryhaiku for the Super Beta Skills

 

His skin softly spells the words of a song she thought she'd long forgotten.  The words form between her fingertips as she types and she's no longer typing the memo for Michael. 

 

I need you so much closer..

 

She remembers the day, in a different lifetime.  He offered her a song from his iPod, and that night she couldn't sleep.  She knew he was trying to tell her something.  She always knew these things.  It took her four days to stitch her resolve back together.  And she hasn't listened to the song since. 

 

Somehow the words were in her ears again.  But it was different this time.  This time, it was worse.  This time, the words were hers

The rhythm of my footsteps crossing flatlands to your door have been silenced forever more.
The distance is quite simply much too far for me to row, it seems farther than ever before
Oh no…
 I need you so much closer.. 

When the phone rings she startles alive and she knows what she has to do.

So come on..come on.. 

She gets up from her chair, the echo from the phone bouncing through the room.  She can hardly steer herself to his desk when the ringing stops and everything is silent but the words. 

 

So come on..Come on.. 

 

He's rifling through papers filled with words but say nothing at all.  He pretends he understands them until she stands beside him and the words disappear and the pages are blank.  She asks for his iPod.

 

"You have got to hear this song, trust me."  His words, spoken from her lips. 

 

"Ok sure, I'd love-" He stops when he realizes she isn't adding a new song for him to listen to, she's scrolling through his playlists.  He opens his mouth to ask a question but the words pile together and can't quite make it out of his mouth. 

 

He's listening to the song, a song he's listened to countless times.  It drummed in his ears for years.  It was his song. 

 

She's returned to her desk.  He turns to look at her; in her eyes he sees the same tragedy that emanated from his own reflection for years.  It still does, though he doesn't admit it.

 

I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
When the water filled every hole.
And thousands upon thousands made an ocean,
Making islands where no island should go.
Oh no...  

 

When her eyes plead into his, his heart is stunned awake and he knows what he has to do.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans