- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I was saving this storyline for later for something else I was doing but I decided to have it on its own.

Unfortunately, this will probably be my last fanfic for a while. :( Hopefully, I'll have time to finish out Dundies Redux before the end of August.

 

Jim couldn't help but glance at the clock on the wall for the sixth time in the past thirteen minutes. 5:08. And people were still working. Jim shook his head and checked his e-mail one more time.

Every once in a while, Michael took one of his magnetic darts and threw it at the whiteboard calendar in the accounting area. If the dart landed on a Friday, that Friday would be "Casual Friday." Because of this insane ways of doing things, "Casual Friday" didn't happen very often but when it did happen, everyone was happy. Even Stanley.

This Friday was one of those rare occasions. Michael left exactly at five. He mentioned something about Jan and a new bed that she bought, which took everyone except for Kevin only a couple of seconds to figure out the veiled meaning behind Michael's statement. It wasn't until Kevin left around 5:14 that he started giggling. Jim smiled to himself and thought, "That took him shorter than usual."

When 5:33 rolled around, it was only Jim and Pam left. After Pam shut down her computer and placed the phone on voicemail, she looked up at Jim who was still at his desk. "I can't believe it's been almost a year since that date," she thought. It was awkward at the beginning, as one could imagine. But as time went on, their relationship grew stronger and stronger. Pam still was the "new" Pam and even that had a positive effect on Jim. He didn't completely return to "slacker Jim" but he didn't return to "corporate Jim" either. It took him a while, but he managed to find a good balance of the two.

Most importantly, the two of them discussed goals beyond Dunder-Mifflin. Neither one of them planned on staying in Scranton their entire lives and especially not working as a receptionist and an assistant regional manager of a mid-size Northeast paper supply company. Pam wanted to continue with her art and Jim wanted to finish college to get better job opportunities. Of course, these plans were with each other. The topic of moving in together and marriage and whatnot had been brought up, but other than the response of "that's would be nice," nothing had ever come out of those conversations.

"You ready to go, Beesly?" Pam stared at Jim. "Earth to Pam." She smiled and nodded.

Jim got up from his chair. As he turned to grab his bag, Pam subconsciously tilted her head to look at his backside.

"Are you checking me out?" Jim asked with a grin.

Pam blushed as she replied, "No. I was, um, just seeing if those were new jeans or not."

Jim raised his eyebrow. "Oh, really?" He walked closer to reception and added, "Well, are they?"

Pam rounded the desk slowly. "Maybe." She smiled as she wrapped her arms around him. "I'll just have to check the tag later."

Jim gave her a quick peck on her forehead. "Do you really think I'm that easy?"

"I know that you're that easy," she responded with grin. She pulled away and grabbed her purse. "By the way, where are we going tonight?"

"Um, yeah, about that. I was wondering if we could just stay in tonight. I was planning for us to go bowling but I heard Andy mention something about his LOST bowling league team in a tournament tonight and I figured-"

"Yeah. We're staying in," Pam interrupted with a smile.

Jim nodded. "Glad we're on the same page. But before we leave, I have a few more questions about tonight."

Pam rolled her eyes. As much as she loved Jim, he had a way of over-planning their dates. His excuse was that he wanted everything to be perfect, even if it was a simple date at one of their places. She sighed. "Okay. Let's hear them."

"Well, I already asked you one question with the staying in thing. Um, second question... I know that you absolutely love Hawaiian pizza but can we please get something else this time?"

"But it's so good, Jim!"

"And, according to Dwight, so is sex with Angela!"

Pam made a face. "Now, why exactly are you talking to Dwight about his sex life with Angela?"

Jim leaned against the reception desk. "Do you seriously think that that's a two-way conversation?"

"I really hope not." Pam smiled. "Anyways, can we take away the mental image of Dwight and Angela..."

"Please don't finish that sentence," Jim slowly said as he looked up at the ceiling. Granted the four of them have had several double dates, the thought of Dwight and Angela doing certain things made Jim's stomach queasy. "And, you know what, Beesly, just for the accusation that I would be discuss sex with Dwight, I think I deserve a meat lover's pizza for dinner tonight."

Pam crossed her arms. "Fine. And only because of the accusation not because Hawaiian pizza isn't good."

"Fair enough. Next question, and I said this with all the love in my heart for you... could we not watch a chick flick?"

Pam looked at him sternly. "And what exactly are you implying? That all the movies that we've seen are chick flicks?"

"No..." Jim answered slowly. "It's just, you know, recently they've been heading in that, um, genre."

"Let me guess... you want to watch a horror movie, right? So, that I would be so scared that I would just curl up in your arms the entire time. I see your motives, Jim, and I'm not falling for it. Not one bit."

"Wow... you really think way too highly of yourself, Beesly." Jim grinned. "Actually, I was thinking of a Bourne marathon, since I finally got The Bourne Ultimatum this weekend."

She looked at the ground. "Oh. Yeah. I like those movies. And Matt Damon. So, um, yeah. We can watch those." She looked up at Jim, only to playfully smack him in the arm. "Stop laughing at me!"

"I'm not laughing at you!" He held up his hands in defense.

"Well, wipe that grin off your face then."

"But you make me smile, Pam."

"Shut up. Next question."

"Can we go to your place since I've been assembling and rearranging furniture and it's a huge mess at the moment? I mean, it's bad. I tripped over one of the coffee table legs this morning and almost landed on a screwdriver."

"Jim!" Pam smacked him again on his arm. "You could have hurt yourself! Or worse!"

"Well, luckily, Dwight's no longer allowed to handle medical emergencies in the county, so having him perform any-"

"Jim, I'm serious." Pam looked at him with concern. "You really could have hurt yourself. And I don't want... you know... "

"Pam." Jim grabbed her hand and stroked it gently. "I didn't mean to make you worried. How about this? Tomorrow, you and I go to my place and finish everything so that my living room is no longer an obstacle course."

Pam pulled herself closer to Jim. "We can do that."

Jim smiled. "Okay, good. And, by the way, my evil plan worked."

Pam stuck out her tongue at him. "You're mean."

"Yes. Yes, I am." Jim gave Pam a kiss on the forehead and headed towards the door. "Now, let's hit the road, Beesly. It's already 6 and the Bourne Trilogy is going to be about six hours long."

"You have no more questions for me?"

Jim pondered for a little bit. "No, I think that's it." He put down his bag and counted off on his fingers. "Staying in, pizza, movie, place..." He looked at Pam with a smile. "Nope, that's it."

Pam nodded. "Okay, let's go."

"Wait. There is one more question..." He moved closer to Pam. "And it's a big one." Pam tried not to smile. Jim shook his head. "You've worked with Michael too long."

"Way too long." Pam smacked her head as Jim chuckled.

"Getting back to my question... first thing's first. Promise me that you won't hate me."

"Oh, great." Pam waved her hand to the side. "I see what you were doing. You were giving me all those little questions so that you get drop this one on me. I can see right through you, Jim."

"Maybe, but you haven't promised yet," he said with a smile.

Pam sighed. "Fine. I promise that I won't hate you."

"Good. Now, promise that you won't smack me like you've been doing."

"Oh, I can't wait to hear this question." She shook her head as she crossed her arms. "What trouble did you get yourself into? Or are you going to get into?"

Jim smiled some more. "Just promise me that you won't smack me."

"Are you going to ask me to help with a prank on Dwight? And Angela? I mean, that's the only thing that I can think of-"

"Pam!" Jim grabbed her by the shoulders. "Just make me the promise and then I'll ask you the question. You're making this way too big a deal!"

"Well, you said that this was going to be a big question!"

Jim sighed. "Ugh... fine, fine. However, you haven't promised me that you won't smack me."

Pam held up her hand. "Girl Scout's honor."

"Please. You were never a Girl Scout."

"Yes, I was! I'll show you my sash with my patches on it when we get to my place." She tilted her head. "That's if we ever get past all these questions."

Jim shook his head. "You're so impatient." He shrugged and started turn away "You know what? Fine, forget the last question. I know your answer, anyways."

"Jim..." Pam pulled his arm so that he would face her again. "I promise that I won't hate and that I won't smack. So, tell me now ask me this question that you've been apparently dying to ask me."

Jim took both of Pam's hands in his own. He ran his thumb over the soft skin. Her hands were so small compared to her. He looked into her hazel eyes and smiled. "Can we go on a camping trip next weekend with Dwight, Angela, and Mose?"

Pam's jaw dropped. "You're joking? Oh my God, Jim, you can't be serious! We could barely get through dinner at the beet farm with the three of them and you want to spend an entire weekend in the wilderness with-Dear Lord, can you imagine Dwight and Mose trying to be trackers or hunters or whatever? And Angela! She'll probably complain the entire time. The entire time, Jim! For my sanity's sake, I hope that... that..." Pam stopped talking as Jim kneeled before her.

He smiled. "I was joking about the camping thing. It wasn't my question."

 



sorano916 is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Questions on Casual Friday also liked 2101 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans