- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is not meant as an infringement to anything NBC or The Office. Just a fan, showing her admiration.

Thank you Sweetpea for being the awesomest betas of all the betas.

A HAPPY TUNE

 

Pam giggled, turning her face to his bare chest.

 

He shifted slowly out of that place of half-asleep. Where he still felt the weight of her body atop his, his skin still held the tingly recollection of her touch.

 

Jim's voice was deep and gravelly, "That's a new reaction post-sex, Beesly..."

 

"I'm sorry....it's just..." Pam couldn't get the words out for all her laughter.

 

He blinked a few times. "Wow. I didn't think I had that fragile of an ego...but I gotta say, I'm feeling a little inadequate right now, Pam...so...thank you."

 

She pressed a kiss to his ribs. "I........you were doing that thing again....with the..." she laughed again.

 

"Seriously? Oh that? Yeah that's funny."

 

Pulling away completely, Pam buried her head in her pillow.

 

"Oh my God...Beesly, don't hyperventilate...Are you...what?" Jim said, reaching up to turn on the lamp on his nightstand. He noticed for the first time, that she was completely red.

"The thing...the thing....where you hum a little tune after we have sex...I just figured out what it is."

 

"Stop...what are you talking about?"

 

"You hum a song..."

 

"No," Jim said shaking his head. "I do not hum a song, Pam."

 

"I finally figured out what the tune is - all this time..."

 

"Oh wow. That's interesting - seeing as I don't hum anything."

 

"No...you do...It's Back in Black...by AC/DC."

 

"Shut up. I do not."

 

She lost it then. She was literally going to hyperventilate.

 

Jim sat up in bed. "Are you finished?"

 

There were words somewhere...buried between the giggle fit. "Jim...why would I make up that you hum AC/DC after we have sex?"

 

"Oh. Because you like to make up stories Pam...and this...is a made up story."

 

"If I was making this up, I'd say that you were humming something sweet...something like..." she started giggling mid sentence, covering her mouth with a trembling hand. "Something like...It's a Small World, or - "

 

Jim's eyebrows shot upwards. "Seriously?"

 

"Not like that!" She exclaimed, realizing the implication of the song title.

 

"Pam, I wasn't humming anyway -

 

"You were! I heard it!" Pam said, finishing through grit teeth.

 

"I don't even know the words to that song."

 

"That's why you were humming it...just the guitar riff...you keep going back to that part...until you fall asleep."

 

"That's ridiculous."

"Jim...It's one of the best songs in rock n' roll history according to VH1...Don't be ashamed."

 

"Oh, I'm not Pam. I'm just...never having sex with you again...that's all."

 

"No....you will," Pam said softly, smiling as she lay a hand on his chest. She rubbed slowly. "But it's ok...I'll let you pretend you really mean that....besides, maybe it wasn't you? I mean it was a guitar riff....maybe it was Philly Jim I was having sex with and not Scranton Jim."

 

"I can not believe you."

 

"What about you?" Pam asked grinning. "I'm supposed to be ok with you thinking about a band full of guys after we have sex?"

 

"That's not what I was thinking -

 

"What's the significance of that song, Jim?" She asked, with a voice that was quiet and stoic. "Tell me about it ...Tell me about how you used to touch yourself when you heard it."

 

"God...so immature, right now."

 

"If you'd hum something operatic maybe I'd be more mature."

 

"That song...." He paused mid-sentence. "Forget it."

 

"No! What?" Pam said propping her chin on his chest. He was blushing, she was giddy. "What? You have to tell me now! I'm sorry, Jim!"

 

He licked his lips nervously. "I think I hum that song when I'm like...happy. Like...really happy."

 

Pam smiled softly. "Yeah?"

 

"Yeah," Jim sighed. "One time....Dwight told me that that wasn't the way the song went....We were like on the way back to the office after my first big sale...and I never thought about it again, until the day of the New York interview...When I asked you out.....Steve - the camera guy that day? He filmed some stuff right after I asked you out...you know...like me walking out to the parking lot...he turned off the camera when I got in the car and said.... ‘AC/DC fan huh? Rock on'."

 

Pam nodded slowly, doing a horrible job at suppressing a smile. "I'm right up there with making a big sale, huh?"

 

Jim pulled his lips to one side, squinted. "Close second."

 

"I hate you." Pam said turning her back to him.

 

"Oh what are you doing, Pam?...Come here," Jim said smiling as he pulled her close, his hands on her shoulders.

 

Pam felt his laughter vibrate through her when their skin touched and thought about how completely delicious he was.

 

"I'm never having sex with you again...I mean just so you know," she said turning to him. But even as she said it, she leaned up, pressing a kiss to his lips.

 

"Oh...see...Pam, that's a mixed message. Be careful."

 

"Message?" She said, pouting in confusion as she reached below the sheets, grabbing hold of....well, it was just the first thing her hand came in contact with. Completely on accident of course.

 

"Pam...I don't think you understand how ‘no sex' works."

 

"Sometimes I'm stupid," she said with a shrug. "Maybe it would help me if you hummed something. I'm kind of an auditory learner."

 

"Maybe it would help if you hummed something."

 

"That's appalling Jim...but ok."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 63 members. Members who liked They Say You Never Really Know Someone... also liked 3103 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans