- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know. Long time no see. I had so many versions of this chapter, and this was my favorite. But now, its time to put this story to bed. I loved my Halpert boys. **Sigh**
  The snow had fallen in a thick white blanket on the ground, and light flakes still bounced around outside. It made Scranton look like a winter wonderland, a beautiful place that was devoid of everything else mundane. The thick coat of white was on the trees and the ground, untainted by the daily grind, at least until morning. As white flakes danced in the wind outside the office window, where Ben watched them in fascination. His dad had forced the entire family to come to the annual Dunder-Mifflin Christmas Party this year. His mom protested, begging him to feign appendicitis or something, but he wouldn't.

"Come on, Pam. If I don't go Michael will come here. He's divorcing Jan, and he's feeling lonely. It's either we go there or he comes here and he won't leave once he gets a whiff our Christmas cookies. He'll force his way in. Do you want that? In our home? On your conscience?!"

Pam furrowed her brow. "Don't put this on me. You had a whole year to make up some excuse..."

"Well...I'm sorry. I'm getting older Pam, and I can't think as quickly or efficiently as I used to," Jim replied back, his face equally stoned. This year was even worse apparently, than any other Christmas parties for Dunder-Mifflin. "Besides, this is the 25th Anniversary Christmas Episode."

"Is that supposed to sway me?"

"Okay, let's look at it rationally. Michael and the camera guys in our home, intruding on our personal space. Or...and get this...we go to the office, drink bad punch, do a talking head and leave in an hour and we get to enjoy our own family, in the privacy of our home. Without. Michael. Again, without-"

"Okay. I get it! It's like asking someone do you want to be kicked in the groin or the face," Pam said solemnly.

"Excellent and graphic analogy," his Dad snorted, before burying his head into his open palms in frustration. He also whispered, "And so true."

Ben didn't see a problem. It was just a stupid Christmas party. He's been to a few of Dunder-Mifflin's festivities and let's just say, they were always interesting. Besides he would miss this soon enough. It was his senior year and he'd soon be out of Scranton and off to one of the colleges of his choice. Whichever was the farthest and the one with the highest girl to guy ratio. Little Benjamin Halpert was growing up, becoming a man, as his mother kept saying randomly whenever she remembered he was leaving soon. She also runs her hands through his hair and gets teary eyed when she says it. She's so weird...

He sipped his punch and stared back out to the night sky, before hearing an "Ahem..." behind him. Ben turned to see Jon sitting in a chair in the corner of the conference room, drumming his fingers, smiling.

"Merry Christmas, little brother."

"Ughhh..." Ben grunted, and rolled his eyes, turning his back to his brother. "I thought you would have made enough friends that you wouldn't be home for break this year."

"You were wrong. Friends are overrated anyway and...Mom didn't want me in that apartment with no decorations, and seeing that annoyed look on your face makes me happy..." Jon replied simply, grinning even wider. "Besides, ya know you missed me."

"How can I miss you when you are always home?" Ben shot back. "Besides, why aren't you out there mingling with your godfather Michael? How did you even get here?"

"DJ, his father threatened him to show up or he'll cut him from his will," his big brother said, furrowing his brow. "And Dad debunked that godfather theory several times during my life. And I'm in here with you because Mr. Schrute is out there and he's reading DJ the riot act for him letting his hair grow past his ears and he usually blames me right after. I'd rather not be involved in that."

"Where are my parents?" Ben rolled his eyes. "I haven't seen them since I dipped out and hid in the bathroom until the coast was clear."

"Mom's talking to Ms. Meredith, or trying to wake her up. I'm not quite sure which. Dad is hanging out with Kevin. And...the camera crew is waiting for you to do a talking head," Jon smirked.

"I don't want to do this talking head thingy yet. Stall me for a minute. Tell me what you got mom and dad for Christmas..."

"So you can steal my ideas and use them as your own? Hell no," Jon grumbled, sitting back and folding his arms. He looked so much like his dad now it was scary. Except he kept his hair cut a bit shorted, but it still fell near his face. He was even trying to grow a patch of decent facial hair, in a way to say he was past eighteen, but not quite twenty-one. He certainly had that pretty boy college emo thing happening.

Ben turned towards him, "Whatever. Just so you know, I got you some Spiderman underwear, so your girlfriends will appreciate the gesture. And I got Mom a necklace and Dad...well three tickets to a 76ers game, courtesy of Uncle Jon. Grandma Beesly's coming down. Nana Halpert and aunt Larissa's family.  And Uncle Jon and his evil spawns are coming in the morning, so..."

"Ah. How can one afford all those things working at Bosco's Pharmacy? Making...what's that? Pennies an hour?"

Ben shook his head. "I'm making like seven, so suck it..."

"Touché!" Jon said, holding up his cup. "So tell me, little bro...what schools are you looking at attending? Or is it straight to prison for you first?"

"I'm looking out of state, like University of Hawaii...for the chicks, of course."

"University of Alaska sounds good too and it's far. Cold though...but that can always be used as an excuse...for some things."

Ben laughed, and waved a middle finger at Jon. "Yeah, I checked the chick to dude ratio, and nah...too much work.  I was thinking about Brown...Dad was happy when I mentioned Brown University."

"Brown?! Wow, that's a good school. I've been to like...a few parties there," Jon was quiet for a moment before adding, "I need to talk to Dad about that too..."

"Brown? Ah, come on Jon, I don't want you transferring to Brown, cockblocking and-" Ben started to protest.

Jon shook his head, cutting his brother off.  "No, dillweed. I um...I was thinking of transferring back home...to Marywood or something."

"Seriously?" Ben asked, tilting his head, looking at his brother for the first real time. Jon was biting his thumb just like his dad did sometimes when he was in deep thought. That gesture, albeit small, amazed Ben at what they each took from their parents. Ben himself was like their mother with the curly reddish-brown hair, a cursed height that paled in comparison to his paternal side, and the perky nose, unlike Jon who inherited their father's nose. The boys were so similar but so much different.

"Yeah...I mean, I've been taking some liberal arts classes as electives and...I'm really into how the brain works. Or in your case, why it doesn't. I can change my major. Plus...DM has been laying people off, and DJ's always getting emails from his dad about him having to start up a deer jerky business to make ends meet. It would down costs if I just move back ho-"

Ben scowled."Hell no. You leave, you stay gone. Got it, Jon- boy?"

Jon frowned and mouthed "Jon boy?"

"You apply for a loan or something. You work a job. But you do not come home and torture me my senior year," Ben lectured.

Jon frowned. "You can't tell me what to do."

"No seriously, doesn't your school have that major? Just stay there. DJ's there! Yeah, you and DJ are ‘besties forever' right?!"

"This is to help mom and dad."

Ben looked a bit melancholy at the revelation; he turned back to his window, his winter wonderland. Tomorrow, the snow would be dirty from cars; it'll look wet and nasty. "No, I guess...you're right. I mean, Dad's been trying not to act stressed but I can tell something's going on. But it doesn't mean you should come home, though. Exhaust all options to never come home...got it?"

"Gosh, you're such a caring and thoughtful brother. Here, take one of these," Jon said, putting up his middle finger.

"HEY! Stop that! We do not flip off people during Christmas!" Pam yelped as she came into the conference room.

"Who's being flipped off?" Jim asked, coming in right behind her. "Not on Christmas guys. Jesus' birthday, and all."

"Sorry mom," the boys said in unison.

Pam smiled, straightening out her red sweater. "So...the producer is waiting to talk to you guys."

"Why are they so interested in us? Or this? Or you guys?!" Ben wondered, as his mom's smile dropped. "It's just...we're kind of boring people. No way could this stuff be important."

"Wow, that's...harsh, don't you think?" Jim muttered as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

Ben shook his head. "No...I just mean...I know you guys had that show but seriously, how many people actually saw it? It was a billion years ago, right?"

"Actually," Jon spoke up. "In my class on American television and film, 'The Office' was quite popular and the subject of many internet sites and had a pretty big viewing audience. Imagine me, sitting there and having to hear how awesome ‘Jim and Pam' were...as I vomited into my book bag."

Jim smirked. "You wouldn't exist if that wasn't true, now would you?"

"That's disgusting," Jon gagged and Jim playfully smacked him upside his head.

Just then Becca, the PA popped into the conference room, smiling brightly at the Halpert clan. "Oh! Great! I found you. Are you guys ready to do some interviews?"

The Halperts all looked at her wide eyed before glancing nervously at each other.

Ben's Talking Head:

"Wow, that's a bright camera light..." Ben winced as it trained on him. The lady was nice, kind of hot in a way, for an older lady. He wondered if she dates younger men. He's barely listening to her; her chest is actually an interesting focal point. The camera man notices and winked at him, and Ben gets uncomfortable. He's seen breasts before; he's not mesmerized or anything.

She asked him about his parents, and how it feels to be their second born son, like it was a privilege or an honor bestowed upon him, like prince hood or something.

"I mean...they're my parents. They're alright...as far a parents go. I could have worse; I could have Mr. Schrute as my dad. Or Mrs. Kapoor Bernard as my mom. She's crazy. All of her daughters are complete stalkers," he shivered at the thought. "Wow. Thank god. But I guess fate dealt me a good hand and gave me to them. Dad's pretty laid back and mom's...my friends are always commenting on her and sometimes I have to kick their ass. Ya know. But yeah, I mean we're not the Brady Bunch or anything. We aren't going to form a band or something weird like that."

She began to talk again, and he tried to focus on the camera, and his throat felt constricted in the button down shirt he has on, so he unbuttoned the top button. She asked him has he ever watched the show.

"Why would I do that? God, it sounds boring. ‘The Office'...really, what does that even mean? Who thought up that riveting title? No...ESPN. Or G4. Sometimes I watch TLC...but that's just if I'm bored."

He doesn't know if that's what they want to hear but this is who he was. Smart ass teenaged Benjamin Halpert, second born son of the so-called ‘awesome' Jim and Pam, who still has a whole world out there to look forward to. He's kind of smug, slightly annoying, and his hair and eyes are his mom's. But that's him and this talking head stuff isn't his cup a tea because he's not a pretty boy charmer like Jon.

When she asked him does he think his parents still have a spark now that they are married with kids, he grimaced like only a Halpert could.

"Dude, they're my parents. I mean...would you be able to answer that about your parents?" Ben looked repulse. "Would you want to answer something like that? That's just gross. Seriously..."

 Jons's Talking Head:

"Jonathan Matthew Halpert..."

He stated his name confidently, and Becca, the interviewer, blushed a bit. She was older (a little too old for him), in her late twenties, and she smelled like cigarette smoke, but he was only being flirty because he could. Not that he hasn't dated older women. Last month he totally dated a senior in at Penn, which is pretty damn good for a sophomore. It's the Halpert charm, his uncle Jon would say, passed down to every Halpert man, well everyone except Jim. Apparently Jim's charm got mixed in with actual sensitivity and he had to make it work for him, his uncle would joke. Jon sat back in the chair, the light was on him, and he listened as she began to question him.

"Do I see the irony of DJ and I being best friends? Oh totally. Always have. I remember coming home and telling Dad that I had a new best friend and his name is DJ and I wanted him at my birthday party. I was like...seven? Eight, maybe. And I remember Mr. Schrute turning beet red, pun definitely intended, when he showed up to Chucky Cheese and it was for my birthday party. Dad just stood in shock, while Chucky was singing ‘Welcome to Cheeseland' or something. It was like the scene of a horror movie. Good times...good times..."

Behind him in the break room Kevin was doing a rendition of "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw, and it was a bit distracting.

"Do I think my parents would have gotten together even if they hadn't been on the show? I honestly don't know. But thank god they did, or you wouldn't be having the pleasure of my company. I mean..." he shifted in his seat, thinking seriously about the question. "I think my parents probably would have loved each other even if they met outside of here. It's so weird because they are probably the two most fated people I know. And I'm not talking about the Romeo and Juliet love, because I think they killed themselves at the end and that's kind of an overreaction...but it's like...they just fit. They're the ‘lid to each other's pot' is what my gram says all the time. I look at my mom and dad, and I can just see they love each other and always will. It's a good feeling...to know you come from that."

Jim's Talking Head:


Jim was smiling ear to ear, his lanky arms folded, nodding, "Yeah, those are my boys. Jon and Ben. They're pretty amazing. I'm proud of both of them," then his face began to drop, "Why? Did they do something? Did anyone get hurt? Is anything on fire?"

He was used to these interviews, but time had left him rusty. Every five years they pop back up for a reunion episode or something, but they had mostly left everyone alone. He was happy to be able to have his family out of that spotlight, that microscope. Twenty years ago, he wouldn't have thought those cameras were important, he didn't think they would last six months in the office, but they did and they caught everything. Even things he tried to hide, from them and everyone else.

The interviewer was younger, someone new. Most of the producers from then were older and he kind of missed them. He was used to them.

"Um yeah, it's sad because Stanley passed away from a heart attack three years ago. Toby's retired last year, Michael got a moon bounce and clowns. It was fun, the party, even though Toby had already been gone a month before that. And Phyllis moved away with Bob Vance to Phoenix..." he looked confused as the interview asked her questions.

"Michael said....wow; no Creed is not ‘dead'. I think when he said Creed's no longer ‘with us' he meant Creed is in a retirement home. Or no...he really might think he's dead. I have to go investigate that one."

He lived a good life, a full one. He had no idea what these twenty years would have been if he hadn't worked at Dunder-Mifflin. There he met the love of his life, lost her, and then got her back. There he worked hard to support her while she went to art school, and there he was when his first child was brought into the world.

"Ryan's...Ryan's still in that Indonesian Prison for drug trafficking, but Kelly, who writes him often, says he might get out in a few years. So...write your local congressman please," Jim said seriously.

Life was funny. He was so much older now, so much wiser. He could think back to a hundred ways he could have approached all these things differently. He thought back to how these very cameras caught him kissing Pam in the low lit room on a spring afternoon, when she was engaged to another man. He could have done that differently, but why? It turned out just the way it was supposed to, with her as his wife and the mother of his children.

"Pranking Dwight...I don't necessarily prank him anymore...he's gotten pretty keen to my tricks. I mean, now and again I'll get him, like last week when I locked him out of his own computer for the whole day. I know I'm too old for all of that. But he's never too smart not to fall for it," Jim smiled.

 

Pam's Talking Head

"Merry Christmas to you too!" she waved at the camera. "It's been awhile since I've done this, I'm so not used to the camera anymore."

The interviewer was a young girl and she seemed to be a bit enamored with Jim, but Pam didn't mind. Jim was a funny and charming guy, and no doubt in her mind he could still attract women. But he didn't. He was all hers and hers alone. She kind of missed not having the camera there. They had been her go to guys for so many things. If Michael was doing something ridiculous they were right there. If Andy was being a douche bag, they were zooming right on it. If Angela quirked an eyebrow, the camera got it. She was sad when she left Dunder-Mifflin. But she decided to teach art for a living, and it was better for Jim and Jon (Ben hadn't been born yet). She loved her new job and still does to this day.

"The boys can be a handful but they are the best thing that ever happened to us. Jon's just like Jim. He is Jim, actually. He's funny and he's got this way about him, just like his dad. And Ben, Ben is the baby. He's just...he's so smart and he gets that sarcasm from me. They both...they're just great kids and I thank god everyday for them..." she said smiling, before soberly asking, "Why? Did they do something? Set something on fire?"

She owed a lot to this place. If she never worked here, if she never met these people, no doubt her life might have turned out a bit differently. She thought of a ten year relationship, to a man who she loved but no longer was in love with. She thought of all the lessons about herself she learned. How she knew she definitely did not want to be a receptionist. How she gained good friends with Angela, Kelly and Phyllis. How all these people touched her life in some kind of way. Especially Jim.

"I guess I should thank you, the show I mean. I feel like this show and this office did so much for me. Sometimes I hated it. Sometimes I wanted to tell Steve exactly where to shove that camera. Then there were says when I just...I had no one to talk to and you guys were it. And then it was times where I felt self conscious because you were there, drawing attention to things I didn't want you to draw attention to. But in the end...it turned out the way it was supposed to. I have a loving, amazing husband. I have two beautiful children. And I learned about me. So...that's why I want to say, thank you. No really..." she wiped a tear from her cheek as the raw emotions hit her. "Thank you."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Here's some pictures of what I think Jon looks like: Jon

Ben: Ben

Bye everyone!



Binxbaby is the author of 21 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 33 members. Members who liked Welcome to the Halperts also liked 2484 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans