- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It's still light out as people start arriving to the auction. Jim and Pam step out of Jim's car, and as Pam turns to close her door, he grabs her hand and pulls her close. After he kisses her, she pulls back and smiles brightly at him.

"What was that for?"

"Just because," he replies, and closes her door for her.

"Oh no. Don't you think you're going to bribe me using kisses and gentlemanly behavior," she teases.

He laughs. "I guess you saw right through me. By the way, you look beautiful tonight."

She swats him on the chest and takes his hand, and they walk toward the warehouse together.

Meanwhile, Dwight has also arrived, exiting his Trans Am and smoothing out his dead grandfather's tux. He looks around the parking lot, apparently hopeful, but his shoulders sag and he sighs when he doesn't see what he is looking for. He does, however, run into Andy, who is wearing a mint green man-cardigan over a bright yellow shirt, unbuttoned down to the third button.

Dwight sneers at him. "Where are you going, the circus?"

"Where are you going, the... circus?" Andy retorts, faltering.

~
Andy: "Man-cardigans are all the rage these days. The ladies love a man in a cardigan. And bright colors. And chest hair. So why not combine them into a bona fide lady-magnet ensemble?"
~

A shadowy figure has entered the parking lot from outside the gate. It is a woman, in big sunglasses, the rest of her face hidden by an enormous hat.

~
Oscar: "Yes, I'm here, and no, I have no idea why. Well, okay, I recently split up with Gil. And this is about as good a place to get a date as any. Even if it's a woman." He shrugs.
~

Inside the warehouse, Pam sits down at a table as Jim goes off to get her a drink. She sees Toby and waves.

"Hey Toby!"

"Oh, hi Pam," he answers, glancing around for Jim. "You here alone?"

"Oh no, Jim just went to get drinks. Do you want to sit with us?" She gestures toward an empty seat.

Toby nods politely, sits down, and then looks down at a piece of paper in his hand. "I'm number 29," he says. "How many guys are in this auction?"

"Thirty or so, I think" Pam replies.

"That's... just... great," he mumbles, as he crumples the paper and shoves it in his pocket.

Jim returns and hands Pam her drink, greeting Toby as he sits down. "I'm number 11," he says, showing her his number. "Guess who's number one?"

Pam mock-thinks. "Let me guess. Michael?"

"You would be wrong!" Jim laughs, taking a sip of his drink.

"What? No, Michael always makes himself number one."

~
Michael: "Yeah, under normal circumstances, I would make sure I got to go first. But somehow, someone at Vance Refrigeration was put in charge of the numbering system, and they said it was 'random.'" He uses air quotes. "So I got number four instead, which isn't so bad, because those first few guys are just appetizers anyway. The real bidders will be looking for the main course."
~

Kelly is sitting at a table with Andy (number 13), nodding as he blabs on about something and she distractedly stirs her seven and seven. Suddenly she sits up and her eyes go wide as she sees Ryan enter the room. She quickly grabs Andy by the shirt and plants a kiss on his lips. When she realizes Ryan didn't see, she lets go abruptly, leaving Andy in somewhat of a daze. But Ryan soon glances in their direction and she grabs Andy again, pleased with herself that this time Ryan noticed.

~
Ryan: "Corporate sent me down here to make sure things didn't get out of hand. So, yeah. Wish me luck on that one."
~

Jim is whispering to Pam and she responds with a giggle. Toby shifts uncomfortably in his seat and then excuses himself to go get a drink, although he's fairly sure that neither Jim nor Pam heard him.

"So... what if I promised you a special treat if you make sure you win me?" Jim asks slyly.

"Does it involve chocolate?" Pam asks.

He thinks for a moment and then nods. "It could." He leans closer and whispers something in her ear.

"Jim!" Pam exclaims with mock indignation. "I do not put out on the first date!"

"Really? I seem to remember differently."

This time she blushes as she laughs. Their flirtation is interrupted, however, by the property manager, Billy Merchant, making an announcement that the auction will start soon, and could everyone take their seats. Michael, however, hovers near the stage, seemingly intent on making his own announcement. Jan suddenly appears and pulls him away, rolling her eyes as she sets him in a chair.

"And so the fun begins," Jim mutters, as Pam grabs his hand and gives it a squeeze.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans