- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't own Jim and Pam. Although sometimes, I wish I do.

"Can I Michael? Please? Please?"

"No, Dwight. If I wanted you to be my Assistant Manager, I would say something. Did I say something that would compel you to think a promotion was in your future?"

"Not...exactly. But..."

"NO, Dwight. Just...just go away. Pam, did you get that?"

"Uh...yes. I got it."

It was another one of these days, the long houred days in which Pam was ripped from her cushy spot answering phone calls and talking to Jim all day, to record these dumb meetings between Dwight and Michael, to be sent to Toby to put on records, which would then go to corporate. It was simply an annoyance. Imagine the most boring thing in the world. Times that by 20. That's what sitting in for these meetings felt like. And they never even amount to anything, because Dwight is never promoted. Dwight asking for a promotion is his impossible dream; he reaches as far just so he can to get two things he wants; a higher position (so he could fire Jim) and the respect of Michael. Sort of like Pam.

But not the job and Michael's respect part. She would never want that. What she would want is Jim. It's similar to Dwight's impossible dream. She can never get him, although she wants him bad. The only difference between her and Dwight, though, is that she knows she'll never be able to have him, but Dwight is that one go-getter you have in your life that'll stop at nothing until he gets his reward. Pam is aware she'll never have that prize, but clings on to that fantasty for as long as she can. She is married to Roy, after all.

Pam has never wanted anything more since she and Roy courted eachother. But that was in high school, when Pam didn't know Jim. Pam shudders to think what would have become of her, had she not began work at Dunder-Mifflin, Scranton. Maybe she would be a plain-jane housewife. Cleaning the house morning after morning, watching after kids, and perhaps being able to catch her soaps. But Jim wouldn't be a factor in that life, and at this point, Pam wouldn't be able to imagine life without him.

It isn't as easy as to just leave Roy for Jim. Pam works with Roy, and an Office romance would be hard to keep. That said, Angela would think about the two and how innapropriate it is to have such relations. But of course, her and Dwight are a different story, as Angela thinks. But if she were to have Jim to call her boyfriend, she wouldn't even mind what people would say.

Too bad Roy works in the same building as her. Roy has no special skills, as a product of all of those wasted years in college. Working at that warehouse is a steady gig, and Roy would not leave it, as he's amazingly close to the place. It wouldn't be logical to just leave. It also wouldn't be logical for Pam to leave Roy. He's a great constant in her life, sure, because she's guarunteed a person to call hers, and she'll never be alone. But Roy leaves something to be desired. Namely, a person who Pam can call hers, and never be partially embarrassed about.

"Excellent! Ex-cell-en-te. Big nacho supremo."

Why the fuck did I get this job, Pam thinks to herself. "Am I done, Michael?""Yes. You may go, Pam. Pam-alam-a-ding-dong."

Pam rushes out of the room as quick as she can, to run away from Michael, and back to her desk. The office is awfully quiet today, and Pam is sharp to acknowledge that. She desperatlely want to talk to Jim, but with all of the quiet, it might be better to just not say anything at all. Pam's headache started a few hours ago, when she unwillingly anticipated that meeting she just wormed herself out of. But work is still work, she thinks, and returns laboring at her computer.

Pam hesitantly clicks her way to her inbox, hoping to see a pleasant "love you, sweetheart" email from Roy, as his quite uncommon cold began earlier in the week, allowing him a reprieve from his low workload in the warehouse. No such message. But she did have mail from somebody else.

"That meeting looked way boring. Let's talk at lunch."

Pam smiled at the person who sent her that email, but they could not see, because sales had to be made. In the blink of an eye, Pam swilveled her chair, as she heard a fax coming in behind her.

In that instant, Jim smiled to an unknowing Pam, warming his heart a bit as his phone rang.

"Dunder-Mifflin, this is Jim."



Frank is the author of 0 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans