- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow, I'm finally finished!! I wanted to thank those of you that have stuck with this, or have found it in the last few updates. I appreciate everyone reading and reviewing it means the world to me. This has been an interesting (writing) journey for me. For those of you that visit the MTT boards or have been around in the last year you might understand why. :)

So here it is the last chapter, taking place during Initiation.

 

Chapter 10.

    The day had been as normal as it could be in her world. She had tried everything in her power to get Michael to accomplish some actual work. As much as he acted like a child, he was a good guy and ultimately a pretty good boss. Corporate had asked her to keep an eye on him and mark down everything he did all day. They were watching him; they were preparing for the downsizing and she knew it. It was too bad that this was also the day the pretzel vendor showed up at the business park. Sugar plus Michael was a terrible combination. He slept for most of the afternoon and she didn't think dreaming nor drooling was what corporate was looking for on his task sheet. But the man always has an ace up his sleeve. He had surprised her with a major sale at the end of the day, and she had felt an overwhelming sense of pride when she saw the fax in the basket. He had acted so nonchalant about it too, but he didn't know how important that sale had been. How utterly important it was for his job's sake.

    She was just about to leave when the phone rang. She had forgotten to turn it off so she picked it up and just answered "Dunder Mifflin". The voice on the other line wasn't expecting to hear her and she wasn't prepared for his.

    "Ah, hey." His stomach dropping to his feet.

    "Oh my God." She was embarrassed that that was her initial reaction, but it was true and realistic. She was happy to hear from Jim; she had just wished that he had intended to talk to her in the first place but she would take what she could get.

    They awkwardly said hello and avoided the ever present elephant in the room. Jim felt the overwhelming urge to explain himself and Pam just enjoyed hearing his voice. She explained why she had stayed late and having to log Michael's tasks for the day and they fell easily back into the groove. She asked him what time it was. It was funny because he was only over one state but it felt like a world away. Then, in the perfect way he does, Jim made it all better. He drew her attention away from the obvious, they avoided what they really wanted to say and joked around instead. It was their way and they perfected it so cleverly over the years that it was as easy as breathing.

    He'd lob up a softball and she'd swing hard. They laughed, joked, and shared the banality of their lives. Never delving into truly serious manners, they made it easier for each other to enjoy the conversation. They both forgot that they were still at work. They forgot they were sitting at their desks surrounded with the world of Dunder Mifflin. They shared stories, new stories, where the other wasn't involved. She told him about the Gaydar and how perfectly it had worked. He told her about the faxes he continued to send to Dwight in a never ending prank to screw with his head. They spoke of how different the offices were without the other, but never truly said how much they missed one another. They were both cautious to keep their hearts close to their chests.
   
    Jim explained how different Stamford was. They played team building video games and everyone got so into it. He said in reality, Dwight should've been the one to get the job, he would fit perfectly. There was a co-worker of his named Andy that was the perfect match for Dwight and maybe one day the two would get together. Jim explained how cosmically the two would be a great match. Pam told Jim about the funeral they had held for a dead bird that was in the parking lot. Pam said she gave the best eulogy of her life and only wished that at the next animal's funeral she could be half as good.

    They talked for hours, and eased back into eachother's hearts. They could've sat there all night, reveling in one another's voices but the conversation was awkwardly interrupted by Ryan and Dwight, Pam becoming distracted. Jim suddenly felt the overwhelming sensation of dread when she wasn't answering him. He saw that as the perfect opportunity to hang up. He knew if he didn't sieze it, he would get wrapped up again and he needed to let her go. How he missed her.

    She was surprised that he needed to hang up. She hadn't even imagined he had a life outside of work, or her, but it made sense. It had gotten late and she had already missed her Figurative Drawing class and didn't mind. When they hung up she was surprised at herself for not feeling upset. She had expected when her and Jim finally spoke she would end up in tears, that wasn't the case. She enjoyed catching up. She loved hearing him again and would continue to miss him, but this was the final nail in the old Pam coffin. He had called her Fancy New Beesly and maybe he was right. She was feeling fancy and new lately and she rather enjoyed it.

    The conversation was a perfect way to end their relationship. If she never got the chance to see him again, it would be okay. If he never called again, it would be okay. No matter where her life was headed, at this moment, she didn't care and that was okay.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


dmscranton is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Consequence of Devotion also liked 769 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans