- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Pam comes home after CN.

Thanks to Cousin Mose for being a great quick beta. 

updated: 07/18/08

Chapter 2

    Pam silently slid in through her front door, and gently closed it behind her. The dark small living room engulfing her frail delicate frame. She leaned her body against the solid door and clutched her purse between her thin cold fingers. Exhaling loudly she closed her eyes, her bottom lip quivering. She nodded silently to herself, in the empty darkness, as she decided to wait to speak to Roy until morning. She realized that if she spoke to him that night it wouldn’t be a pretty ending. She wanted this break up to be more than amicable because of their history together. She also hoped that in the morning the puffiness around her eyes would subside.

    Slowly, she pulled herself away from the door and headed into their small bathroom. Feeling her way down the hall, her thin fingers running along the wall reaching for the door frame. When she stepped into the chilly bathroom, she didn't turn the light on but stood in front of the sink, pulling the medicine cabinet door open. She reached her hand in behind the mirror and pulled out a small, round bottle.

    Her head was pounding from the tears she shed earlier. She was positive the dreams and nightmares that would appear to her that evening would not allow her a wink of sleep. She poured two sleeping pills into her palm from the tiny bottle, and placed it back into the medicine cabinet. Popping the two pills on her tongue and leaning down to the faucet she filled her mouth with a gulp of water. Then tossing her head back to allow the water and the two white pills, to slip down her throat easily. This movement was almost routine for Pam now, always desperate for a quiet nights rest.

    She began taking the sleeping pills on a regular basis once Roy decided to set a wedding date. She was anxious, for years, to finally start this chapter in their lives but the fact that it was actually going to happen frightened her. There were so many nights where she laid in bed awake, staring up at the ceiling for hours. The pills became the only thing that could calm her constantly moving mind. She was taking them every night now.

    Stepping back out into the vast darkness, she skimmed her fingers along the wall back out to the living room. She brushed against the couch and sat down pulling the soft cashmere blanket down from the back, wrapping herself up in it. Her body tilted sideways and she placed her head down on the soft throw pillow, curling her legs up underneath her.

    Instead of trying to fumble her way to the bedroom and possibly waking up Roy, she decided to sleep in the living room on the couch, in her dress. If Roy asked her in the morning why she didn't change she would just tell him she didn't want to wake him; the real reason she would keep to herself.

    She wanted to place her hands over her stomach and continue to feel Jim's warmth upon the fabric. Hopelessly wanting to be close to him tonight; she needed to know he was still there for her, even if he wasn't physically there. She eventually fell asleep, the effects of the sleeping pills washing over her and allowing her a moment of peace. She dreamt of him, and of Roy. Some were sad, some were happy but all ended the same... she was alone.


    The next morning Pam woke up before Roy did. The sun peeking through the blinds shining across his face. She stood over him watching him sleep, one last time. She didn't want to wake him, so she quietly picked up a standard pencil skirt and a button down top from within the laundry basket. Then she pulled a couple items out of her dresser and then left the room.

    She stepped into the bathroom, and slowly shut the door behind her, tossing her clothes down on the floor. Standing in the middle of the room and lowering her face down, she closed her eyes. Tears began pouring down her cheeks, and she lifted her hands up to her face pressing her fingers deep into her eyes, trying to stop the tears.

    She threw her arms down at her sides, giving up and moved slowly to the shower. Turning the faucet on, she ran her fingers gently under the flowing water, washing away the tears. The room filled with steam and she finally stripped the periwinkle dress off of her body and delicately draped it over the sink, running her now damp fingers across the fabric. Her face changing from calm to hurt. Struggling to hold back the gasping sob building within her throat, she turned quickly away from the shiny dress and stepped into the shower.

    At first she let the warm water wash over her back, hoping it would wash away the tension built up in her shoulders. Then she tilted her head back, letting the water wash out the soft delicate curls she had worked so hard on the night before. They were matted and disheveled, and the water was now washing the memory of them away. With her hair fully damp, and her fingers massaging her scalp she began to remember, began to day dream of the past. Water and tears now mixing against her cheeks.

    So many smiles, so much laughter, so much happiness, all gone. She lifted her hands back up to her face and covered the soft skin imagining what work will be like now between them. How will they manage the facade? How will they survive?

    Suddenly the horrible feeling of guilt began to creep up her legs, digging into her gut as she remembered the man sleeping on the other side of the bathroom wall.

    Roy.

    What will she say to him? How can she do this? She's about to lose both of the men who have meant so much to her. She's not in love with Roy any longer but she cares about him.

    She quietly turned the water off and leaned her hand against the cool tile, curling her fingers absentmindedly against it, shaking her head in silence. She slowly lifted her leg and pressed the shower curtain away stepping out onto the bathmat. Pulling her towel off of the rack she pressed it against her face. Her shoulders started to shake, as she cried harder into the plush cotton.

    "This isn't how it's supposed to be, this isn't how it's supposed to be...this isn't..." Her voice muffled by the soft fabric covering her face.

    She inhaled deeply and pulled the towel away from her face, wrapping it lightly around her body. She turned toward the mirror and stared back at the blank face staring at her, eyeing the appearance. This woman was empty, this woman was colorless, this woman wasn't Pam.

    Reaching over to her small portable CD player, and flicking it on. The quiet whir of the CD player filled the enclosed space. She pressed her finger gently on the 'Next' button heading to track six. The room instantly filled with a gentle xylophone, tinkling out a clean bright rhythm.

    She let the song play, silent tears falling with each note, while she finished getting dressed and put together.

****
(Song "You Could Be Happy", by Snow Patrol)
Chapter End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans