- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm having way too much fun writing this, and I'm glad people are enjoying it!
Back in the car, Pam buckled herself in and Jim handed her the blindfold. "It's protocol. The Committee for Fun Birthdays requires a blindfold during any mode of transportation," he explained, tying it behind her head and fluffing her hair out.

"Thanks for the help," she said, trying to smooth it back down. She heard him slide a CD into the player as he started the car, and she laughed when Green Day filled the car. "God, I haven't heard this in so long," she said, bobbing her head, "This was the first CD I ever bought with my own money."

"I won't ever tell you what mine was," said Jim, "but it might actually rhyme with 'Schmatman Schmeturns'." Pam laughed again, disappointed that she wasn't allowed to see the gleeful smile she was sure played across Jim's face. "Wow, you really were so dorky," she giggled, "We really would have been perfect for each other."

"Ah, yes, I've seen the photos of 1993 Pam," he said, and she felt the car come to a stop. "Speaking of whom, put this on," he continued, and she felt him reach into the backseat and heard him root around in the duffel bag. He dropped something soft in her lap, and she pulled it on.

He got out of the car and opened her door. She had a shrewd idea where they might be, and Jim did not disappoint as he untied the blindfold. She smiled at the sight of her former junior high school, which hadn't changed a bit since she'd been there, right down to the garbage on the sidewalk.

She looked down and saw that she was wearing a plaid flannel shirt, and she laughed aloud when she saw that Jim had pulled on a Pearl Jam t-shirt. He grinned at her. "You look exactly the same as your eighth grade school picture," he said happily.

"Hey, grunge was great, I got to wear my dad's old flannels," she replied, swatting the blindfold at him. "That behavior is acceptable, because we're in junior high," he said, checking his watch.

"Let's go here first," he continued, pointing down the block to a party store. They headed down the sidewalk, and Jim rummaged in his pocket. "This place got busted for selling cigarettes to eighth graders the year after I left," said Pam.

"It's nice to see they're still in business, " replied Jim, handing her three dollars. "This is your slush and candy allowance."

Pam accepted the money as they walked into the dingy interior and faced a wall of candy. "Ooh, this is hard," said Pam, surveying the candy. "That's what she said," said Jim, grinning devilishly. "I don't know what I feel like having," she said.

"That's what she said!"

She shot him a devilish look of her own. "Really, are you twelve?"

"Hey, I'll keep it going til you stop," he said, and she yelled, "That's what she said! Ha!" and Jim blushed, not even realizing that he had walked right into it. "You're good, I'll have to give you that," he said, smiling.

"That's what she said."

He laughed again, and Pam snickered, "I was just about to make a joke involving hard candies and sucking, but even that's too much for me." Jim grabbed her around the neck with his forearm and pulled her into a noogie. Her face smushed into his arm, and he rubbed her hair up to a frizz before she pulled free, laughing. He checked his watch again.

"Let's get our candy before I'm tempted to kiss you," he said, which made her blush. "Unreleased sexual tension is a main cause of noogies in the junior high set, and actually kissing would throw off the data."

Pam smiled to herself as she picked out her candy. Skittles for sugary, M&Ms for chocolate, and a Payday for salty sounded perfect to her. She found Jim at the slush machine, filling two cups. "I mixed every flavor," he said, handing her a cup. "Of course you did," she replied as she paid for her food.

Back outside, Jim sat down on the low brick wall by the parking lot. "I'll trade you a handful of M&Ms for some Sprees," said Pam, immediately coveting Jim's candy. "Okay, but the ratio of M&Ms to Sprees is higher, since there are a lot less Sprees in here," he answered, tossing three Sprees into her palm. She rewarded him with six M&Ms, and they began to eat.

It was hard to talk with so much candy in their mouths, so they sat in silence for a few moments, idly banging their feet against the wall and chewing. It was such a beautiful day, and Pam still couldn't believe what Jim was doing for her. The best part of it all was that it all came so naturally; she didn't feel as though she were pretending to be a kid, she really felt as she had when she was younger. It was all Jim's doing, she thought, he was the one who had a knack for making things perfect.

Jim jumped off the wall after one last look at his watch. "Come on, Candy Monster," he said, smiling at her with blue stained teeth. She snickered at him and threw the last of her Skittles at his chest. They threw out the candy wrappers and empty slush cups and walked back toward the school.

As it was Saturday, the school lawn should have been empty, but as they approached, Pam could see a girl standing by the main sign. "Jim?" she asked, slightly puzzled, "Why is my cousin Morgan here?"

"She's right on schedule, that's perfect. I needed a thirteen-year-old's help. Stay there, please, Pam, and await further instruction," Jim said, quickening his pace over to Morgan. Pam watched as he reached into his pocket for something, which he gave to her.

As Morgan headed toward Pam, Pam saw her aunt Liz's car waiting on the other side of the street, and her aunt Liz and Pam's mom were both inside, giving her the thumbs up and grinning broadly.

"Hey Morgan," she said to her cousin. "Hi Pam," said Morgan, looking a little skeptical. "This is from Jim Halpert." She handed Pam a folded up note; Pam unfolded it and read, "Dear Pam, will you go with me? Please check yes or no and send the note back with Morgan. From Jim H." Morgan wordlessly handed Pam a pencil, and Pam hitched her knee up to rest the paper on her leg. She scratched out the box marked 'yes' and wrote in 'Absolutely I will.'

She folded the note back up and handed it and the pencil back to Morgan who shook her head. "You guys are so weird," she said, but she was smiling, looking slightly embarrassed. "Thanks, Morgan," Pam said as her cousin headed back toward Jim. Pam watched as Jim read the note and was gratified that he smiled so widely.

Morgan hung back a little as Jim walked over to Pam. "Since we're officially boyfriend-girlfriend now, will you come with me? It's very important," he said, motioning toward the door. Jim held it open for Pam, and she looked surprised. "It's unlocked; there's continuing education classes down the hall right now," he explained, "but I don't think we'll be disturbed where we're going."

Morgan followed them inside, and Jim led them across the hall and into the dimly lit gym. Pam saw a CD player on a card table next to a small disco light, and she understood what was happening. "Have a seat," Jim said, indicating the lowest row of bleachers. Pam sat and watched as Morgan crossed over to the table; clicked on the disco light and pressed play on the CD player. 'Love Hurts' poured from the speakers, and Pam smiled in anticipation.

Jim motioned Morgan over, whispered to her, and she crossed over to Pam. "Jim wants to know if you'll dance with him," she asked, and Pam smiled at Jim, who had followed Morgan.

"Thanks for your help, Morgan, you're the best," Jim said, and Morgan headed toward the door, fully smiling now. She shot Pam a happy glance before leaving and shutting the door behind her.

"Will you?" asked Jim, holding his hand out. Pam stood and was surprised that she felt almost shy. This would be their first real time dancing together and somehow the junior high theme fit perfectly. She slid her arms onto his shoulders, cupping his neck slightly. He put his hands on her wait, holding her at a distance, and as they swayed to the music, she looked up at him.

"This is the first song I ever danced to with a boy," she said quietly, and Jim smiled. "I know, I heard rumors," he said softly and she felt his hands squeeze her waist slightly. Pam closed her eyes and moved with the music, amazed that the song still gave her a funny feeling in her stomach.

The song ended and Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' started, and Pam moved a little closer to Jim. "Don't get ahead of yourself," he said anxiously, "I heard you can get pregnant from dancing too close."

"Thanks, Angela," Pam said softly, but it was hard even to joke when Jim was looking at her with such adoration, swaying with her in a darkened room. She had never appreciated just how sensitive touch was, until she was confronted with the situation of wanting to hug Jim, or kiss him, and knowing that she had to wait.

"Last dance of the night," said Jim in the lull after Clapton, and 'Purple Rain' came on. Pam grinned. "How could this not be the last song at any junior high dance?" asked Jim, straightening his arms out, and Pam moved her fingers to the hair at the nape of his neck. "You're getting a little frisky," Jim said, and she smiled mischievously. "I really want to kiss you," she admitted, and he shook his head. "No way. You're lucky I even asked you to dance. I didn't kiss a girl for three more years after this," he said seriously, "You'll be thankful if I only make you wait a few hours."

"You're such a kiss-tease," said Pam, and he grinned. "Well, I guarantee if I would have known you in junior high, I might have gotten to it a little sooner." Pam looked up at him. "Why don't you?" she asked, and his arms were pulling her a little closer, and her eyes closed as he planted a soft kiss on her lips.It was over quickly, but she still felt it when she opened her eyes. "I guess it's okay if we break the rules a little bit," Jim said quietly, and she closed her eyes and they danced silently until Prince faded away.

They broke apart slowly, and Pam smiled shyly. "Whatever magic you're doing, it's working," she said, "I feel like I'm a little kid again." Jim just smiled and held her hand as he led her over to the table. He unplugged the CD player and light and carried them in one arm.

They moved toward the door, blinking in the sunlight that filled the hallway. "I wanted to have Morgan crying in the hallway with one of her friends, but she wouldn't do it," Jim said as they walked back outside. "Poor kid, sent to do your dirty work," Pam said, lacing her fingers through his. "She was a good sport, and guess what? We've graduated junior high," said Jim, smiling, and the two climbed into the car.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I love junior high dances and the way only junior hgh kids 'go together' (why is that?), and listened to far too much crap '80s and '90s power ballads while writing this chapter. And grunge rocks.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans