- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
don't own them at all! Please don't throw lawyers at me. :-))

 GIRL TALK

 

"Hey...so I heard....about you and Pam," Ryan said grinning as he poured himself a cup of coffee. He took a sip. "Man you should taste the stuff at corporate.  Tastes better than Starbucks..."

 

Jim stood up from where he'd been pulling an orange out of the refrigerator and figured he'd respond to the first part of that comment, especially since he wasn't sure how to comment on the second part.  

 

"Yeah -

 

"That's...that's great man, it really is," Ryan said, sitting down at the table in the corner.

 

He sipped at his coffee and shook his head slightly as if both the Scranton coffee and the notion of Jim and Pam dating were both unbelievable.

 

Jim stayed standing against the countertop, and started to peel his orange. He knew he'd regret staying here, but a part of him was so very interested in how Ryan might present what had just happened out in the office...

 

How would he explain his sudden interest in Pam as anything more than a remnant of his lowly Scranton past?

 

"Really..." he was saying again, pouring some sugar into his coffee. "Just great."

 

"Thank you," Jim said smiling at him.

 

"I'm glad, because I mean I know you kind always had a thing for her."

 

Jim frowned, "You did?"

 

"Sure...I mean you were pretty obvious about it."

 

 "Wow....that's...great."

 

"Yeah, I mean no worries...I just - I'm usually pretty observant...I remember little things....like one time Kelly dragged me in on helping Pam mail some of her wedding invitations and I remember thinking that I couldn't believe you were going......I mean it was obvious....even when you were with...what was her name - the red head?"

 

Jim licked his lips again, took a swig of grape soda. Ryan knew her name, but he supplied it anyway.  "Katy?"

 

"Right...Katy...Gosh...how is she these days?"

 

Jim frowned. "No idea."

 

"Hmm...you don't keep in touch, huh?"

 

Jim tried to keep the edge out of his voice, but he probably didn't succeed. "I'm with Pam."

 

"Right....what about...you know - Karen?"

 

Was this guy for real? He was like a frat boy in a power suit.

 

Jim couldn't help himself. "You want to go out with Karen, Ryan?...Be my guest. You're...I mean you're more along the lines of what she really wants anyway."

 

Ryan's eyes got larger, clearly complimented by the intended insult. "What does that mean?"

 

"Oh nothing...just...you know - she wants someone successful...Someone who loves the city....just someone who fits in more with the lifestyle she wants...that's all."

 

Ryan sat down across from him. "Hmm...and Pam doesn't want that?"

 

Jim popped the first slice of orange in his mouth, chewed...What- the- hell.

 

He swallowed. "What?"

 

"Nothing...I just wondered...I mean I wasn't lying earlier, Jim," Ryan began, somehow morphing back into Boss-Ryan mode, instead of Hey-I-Used To Work Here-Ryan mode, "She is very talented. I just wonder what's holding her back...in this office? She could do a lot - be a lot...don't you think?"

 

"Seriously?"

 

"You don't think so?"

 

"Oh no...I think so," Jim said biting his lip. He hadn't meant ‘seriously' as a question as to whether she was a talented artist. He'd said ‘seriously' in response to Ryan's blatant put down of her being with Jim.

 

"I think she could do whatever she wanted....I just think it's interesting, that's all," Jim said sipping his soda. "It just seemed like maybe you were downplaying us...or maybe just...me...?"

 

"What?"

 

Jim shrugged one shoulder. "Pretty sure you know what I mean."

 

"Hmm...Well, maybe she is more comfortable here......It'd just be great though wouldn't it? To see our little Pammy succeed," Ryan said with a grin before leaving the kitchen.

 

Jim watched him as he walked out of the kitchen....and threw the rest of his orange into the trash


LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Girl Talk also liked 1582 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans