- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Most of this story will be from Jim's perspective, but this chapter is from Pam's point of view.

Also, I own neither Office characters nor any memorabilia sans my S1, 2 and 3 DVDs.

"Hey Pam, what activity did you sign up to coordinate, and when?  It'd be cool if we could set ours at the same time so we can hang out afterwards."

Pam stuttered.  She'd tried to duck out of this one.  She actually didn't even plan on going to the Fun Night at all.  Social festivities weren't really her thing, and it probably would have just been a bunch of kids buzzing on Pepsi and cotton candy making a mess of the place.  She'd been coming here for three years now and it was great to get the experience and connections to local people of importance but the one time she went to Fun Night, she ended up with a lap full of popcorn and a soda on her head, curtesy of the kid in the Ferris wheel cart above her.  "Oh, um, I don't know, Beth.  I really didn't want to go anyway, so I didn't sign up."

"C'mon Pam, you *have* to go!  Think of all the cute boys that are gonna be there!  Last year Stacy went and there was this guy Eric and he was so cute and he ended up asking if he could call her and they talked and it turned out they lived near each other!  So they met up and he totally kissed her and they go for walks and hold hands and they're so adorable and they're going to get married and make such cute babies..."

"Okay, alright Beth," Pam finally conceded.  I can't imagine I'll ever meet someone so talkative and annoying ever again, she thought.  "So where do I have to go to sign up?"

"Counselor Taylor's office.  Come on, let's go!"  She grabbed Pam by the hand and dragged her out the door before she knew what hit her.  Stepping inside the building, she eyed the list on the door cautiously.  She had to laugh..."Pin the tail on the donkey?  What are we...4 years old?" Beth laughed and scanned the list as well, her eyes widening as she noticed the final submission and the name beside it.  "Oh my God, Pam!" she exclaimed, her hand resting on Pam's shoulder as she stifled both shock and laughter.  "Who put your name next to this one?     

"What?!?!"

"Pam-you get to be at the KISSING BOOTH!!"  By now, Beth was losing it and Pam's face was red from sheer embarrassment.  "You didn't sneak in to sign up on me beforehand, did you?" she giggled.

"No!"

"Hey Pam, what's up?" she heard from behind her as her friends Jackie and Tiffany came through the door.

"Tiff, what the HELL?!?" she exclaimed, trying to keep calm enough not to hit her.  Tiff was always the prankster...Saran wrap on the toilet, various condiments in the shower head, whatever she could find...this had to be her doing. 

"Whoa, what's going on?"  Tiffany raised her hands in the air signaling her innocence.  "What did you get yourself into Pam?"

"More like what did YOU get ME into?"  She shoved her playfully, but inside she was still raging.

Jackie had already glanced at the sheet and knew what was going on.  "So, kissing booth, huh?  About time you got yourself some action, Beesly.  Good choice.  Tiff and I are selling hotdogs at the concession stand from 7-8...stop by when you're done swallowing the spit of every guy in the camp."

"Shut up."  Pam swatted her shoulder and the sudden wave of panic seemed to have dissipated, leaving her with a level calm.  "So which of you two did this?"  She pulled off her best squinted eye technique, mocking the interrogators she'd seen on TV. 

"Not me," Jackie said quickly.

"Me either," followed Tiffany.

"Yeah, sure." 

"I swear!" Tiff repeated, this time with more conviction, but the laugh behind it did little to make it seem believable.

"Uh huh.  So how do I get out of this now?  The damn festival is tomorrow, and this is written in ink!"  The worry was beginning to come back to Pam's face.  On the fence about coming at all, now her name had been written on the paper for who knows how long and everyone probably thought she was the camp slut.  Grr-reat.  Truth be told, there was more to it....Pam was heading into high school next year and she was beginning to believe she was the only girl she knew who'd never been kissed.  Sure, she'd had some boys walk her to class, to the bus or even hold her hand after school, but it never went further than that.  She'd begun to think maybe she had bad breath or ugly teeth or maybe she just wasn't very exciting.  How was she supposed to kiss 100 guys when she hadn't even kissed one before?  They'd laugh her out of the booth.

"Well, Pam...looks like you're stuck, unless you want to talk to Counselor Taylor tomorrow and try to wriggle out of it.  I know Katie two years ago had someone put her name down and she went to Counselor Taylor and he rejected it and made her rake up all the trash afterward too, or at least that's what I heard from Sean, who said that..."

"Huh, well, guys, I've gotta go," she quickly blurted and made her way out the door before she got to hear 3 years' worth of gossip.  Tomorrow is going to suck, she thought as she laid her head to her pillow, praying that all this was a bad dream and she'd wake up and find herself doing something normal like the photo booth or even the ice cream stand.  Why does this stuff always happen to me?    

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading.  The next chapter will be Fun Night...will Pam get to kiss anyone we know?  Will she catch any communicable diseases?  Will there be lawsuits?


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans