- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The last chapter! And kind of a short one at that.
This one is written from both of their perspectives, so I hope you don't get confused. It's also pretty crammed with fluff, but that's how I like my JAM served, thank you very much.
Also, thanks to banana slings for encouraging me to even WRITE this chapter. You did help, despite what you might think. :)
Enjoy!
Disclamer: I don't own anything, but I'm adding things to my Christmas list. ;)





Their plates had long been cleared off the table, but they stayed and continued to crack jokes and talk about their day. They didn't talk about what was happening, nor did they have the “relationship status” talk. Neither of them needed to talk about what they both knew they had all along. It felt comfortable, and they liked that.

Pam had her elbows on the table and she was playing with her straw. She looked at the waitress as she walked by, and then looked back at Jim.

“That waitress keeps giving us dirty looks. I think she might want us to leave.”

Jim squinted towards her.

“So...you DON'T think it's because I'm smart, handsome, and funny...and taken?”

She grinned and then shot him a look as if to say, “Seriously?”

He laughed and began to stand up.

“Okay, maybe it's because she wants us to leave...”

“Thank you.”

He walked over to her side of the table and offered his hand to her.

“Let's get out of here.”

They walked to the door and Jim looked down at Pam.

“Where to, Beesly. It's your call.”

“Wait. You mean to tell me we AREN'T going to pick up Dwight? Jim...you promised him. Now he'll be stuck at home..er..farm with nobody to talk to but his beets. And here I am thinking you're a good guy. I misjudged you, Halpert.”

He turned his corners of his mouth down, raised his eyebrows, and shrugged. Pam let out a small laugh. Jim wondered if he would ever tire of hearing that sound. He looked down at their locked fingers and something told him that he could never grow tired of anything she did. However, her unbreakable Sudoku record (now 16:23, he found out at dinner) was a little irritating. She must have cheated.

They got about five feet from Jim's car, when she stopped walking. Nearly tripping over his own feet from the sudden stop, he turned to look at her.

“You okay?”
“Let's just...walk.”
“I was trying to, but you apparently wanted to stop.”
“No, let's take a walk. I have somewhere I want to take you.”

She started walking backwards, dragging him along with her. Feeling as he had no choice, he joined her at her side.

“Alright, we're walking.”

They walked for about fifteen minutes until they reached some railroad tracks. Pam couldn't remember a time in her life where the tracks had actually been used. She would come here with her friends growing up to talk, play games, or sometimes she would come by herself to sit and think. There were two sets of rusty old tracks that came together at an intersection, and then departed their different ways and continued on for miles. She let go of Jim's hand and walked over to where the tracks met. She sat down, hugged her knees to her chest, and rested her chin on them. Jim stayed where he was, his hands in his pockets, and gazed at the woman he had always loved. He slowly made his way to her, a faint smile on his face. How could this really be happening? If it was a dream, he prayed with everything that he had that he would never wake up.

He reached the spot where she was sitting and silently lowered himself to sit beside her. He slipped his arm around her waist and pulled her a little closer to him. She lowered her head to his sholder. No words were spoken because neither of them wanted to ruin this moment. Jim glanced down at Pam and moved a piece of hair from her eyes. She lifted her head and smiled when their eyes met. Jim put his free hand on the side of her face and brushed his thumb across her cheek once. He moved his head in closer rested his forehead on hers. He quickly opened his eyes to look at her, then delicately put his lips on hers. Her hand raised from her lap and she placed it on the back of his neck, the tips of her fingers laced through his hair. She returned his gesture, and there on the tracks where she had so many memories of her past, they shared what both of them like to think of as their real first kiss.

After they had finally broken apart, Pam slipped back into Jim's arms—her head on his chest. They stayed like that until she fell asleep comfortably in his arms, and all he could do is hold her.

16:23...he thought to himself.

She's full of it.

He laughed quietly and kissed the top of her head like he had earlier that night in the parking lot. Upon hearing his deep laughter in his chest, Pam awoke for a few seconds. She smiled, and closed her eyes again.

She would never get tired of hearing that sound.
Chapter End Notes:
And there it is! Thanks for everyone's kind reviews. More, please? :)


WanderingWatchtower is the author of 23 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Laughter also liked 2728 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans