- Text Size +
Pam's grip on the door handle tightened. Maybe she was still in the dream. Somehow the dream had morphed from Conan and bobble-head Dwight, into an unexpected visitor at 2am. Maybe not.

Jim looked more then a little disheveled as he stood outside her door, his hands deep in his pockets.

'Hey.' he said.

'It's Jim. Um, I mean, hey.' Pam did a mental head slap. It's Jim? Good grief.

Jim shuffled awkwardly, and seemed to be searching for what to say.
'So, um...listen I know it's late and all. But i've walked back and forth from my car to your door about 10 times, and frankly if I go back out again, I think someone's going to call the police.' He smiled in his lopsided way, knowing how lame his attempt at humor sounded.

'Wait...you've been doing what?'
'Pam...' He paused and took a deep breath, finally meeting her eyes. 'I just really need to talk to you.'

She was beyond confused. What the hell was going on? Jim had basically been ignoring her since coming back to Scranton. Brushing off most of her attempts to rekindle their previous close friendship. And now he shows up here in the middle of the night desperate to talk to her?

She stood back, and let him pass into her living room. Suddenly feeling self conscious in her tank top and pajama bottoms, she instinctively grabbed for a sweater that was hanging by the door. She made her way back to the couch, and switched the tv off, highly aware of his gaze on her.

'So, what's up?' she said, trying to sound more cheerful then nervous.

Jim was silently walking around her living room, looking at pictures, touching various things. She watched him, and he seemed to be struggling with something.

'Jim? Is everything ok?'

'Can I ask you a question?' he said, turning towards her. 'Why did you call off the wedding?'

She didn't know what she had been expecting, but it definitely wasn't that. She was stunned for a moment, and felt the heat rising to her cheeks. She was silent for a moment, trying to get her bearings.

'There were...a lot of reasons.'

'Those reasons...' he paused and his voice lowered as he continued. 'Were any of them because of what happened that night?'

Pam froze, and she felt the color drain from her face.

*


Pam was silent for a what seemed like forever, and then muttered. 'I...I'm not sure I know what your talking about.' she stammered. She knew how ridiculous it sounded as soon as it came out of her mouth, but she went with it anyway.

Jim sat across from her, clasping his hands in front of him, and leaning forward.
'Pam...please.'

She stood up, and wrapped her arms around herself.

'Jim, what the hell is going on?'

Standing, he moved closer to her. She backed away.

'Pam...wait.'

'Why now? Why are you doing this now?' her anger surprised even herself. He was silent, and she shook her head in frustration. 'Is this some kind of ego thing for you?'

'Ego thing? What? No...' He responded.

'You come back to town acting like a completely different person, like you...you can't distance yourself enough from me. And then I have to deal with seeing you with Karen every day...knowing how badly I screwed up. All because I was too stupid to go for what I really wanted, instead of what I felt safe with.' The tears were falling now, but she didn't care. She wanted to take all the words back...to roll them back inside her brain, but it was too late. She had managed to humiliate herself once again. She forced herself to look into his eyes, the look of shock plain on his face.

'Why now?' She repeated. He didn't respond, so she turned her back to him.

'I saw you. I saw you leave with Roy.' he said, his voice barely above a whisper.

She spun around and looked at him. 'And I've seen you with Karen. Everyday.'

'I broke up with her.' he said quietly as she walked towards the front door. She stopped, but didn't turn back. She shook her head once again, and didn't know what she was supposed to say to that.

'Do you ever feel, ' he said after a few seconds 'like history is repeating?'

She sighed, and started to turn back towards him 'What is that even supposed to mean...'. Her breath caught in her throat because he was right there...inches from her. Without another word, and without hesitation his arms were pulling her to him, and his mouth covered hers. Her body immediately tensed and seemed to seize up at the sudden jolt of sensations. His kiss was gentle, but firm, his lips pressing against hers, and haltingly his tongue pressing further. She felt her body slowly melting into his, and gave in, running her hands up his chest, and letting one hand travel up across his neck, and brushing through his hair. He shifted and pressed her into the cold wood of the door, and his hands moved up, cupping her face. Their lips parted for an instant, and she put her hand to his chest, stopping him from closing in again. They stood there, looking at each other. Neither of them able to find the words.

**

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans