- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I have had to write this chapter about 7 times, and I have lost it every time. I don't really like this chapter much because of it, and I think it gets worse every time! :)

He's such a jerk.

That's her first thought when he can only respond "Uh, yeah." when she opens her heart to him. The problem is, she's opened her heart to him for 2 months now, and his reaction is always the same.

"Okay."

"I gotta go."

"Uh, yeah."

She can't take it much longer. She takes a sip of her wine. She should be celebrating with Jim that they're both going to possibly move to New York, that their lives are going to change all because she pushed him to apply for the Corporate position. They had been going fine for a while, but now he's more distant than ever because of his "friend"'s speech at the beach earlier tonight. On the plus side, she learned new information tonight that she wished she never had:

Pam was engaged.

She called off her wedding because of Jim.

 He used the word when he told her.

He ran away from his fears and used her as a buffer.

She was being used.

Karen can't believe how stupid she's been. She downs the rest of her wine glass in a heartbeat, and then does the same with the glass she had set out for Jim.

He wasn't coming. He never would again. She turned on the radio and heard a beautiful soprano voice singing a short song:

Don't wish, don't start. Wishing only wounds the heart. There's a girl I know, he loves her so. I'm not that girl.

Whoever this girl is, she's got it right. She wished for too much and look where it got her. She followed some idiot to Scranton because he sucked at Call of Duty and he made her laugh. Now, he's off dreaming about Pam and wondering where his heart lies. What was wrong with her? She always had her life in line, and now she can't tell which way is up.

 She doesn't want to live this way anymore and realises she won't. She pours herself another glass of wine and downs it.

"Screw him," she thinks. "I hope he's happy now."

Chapter End Notes:
I wanted to end on a Wicked quote and decided to do Defying Gravity, "I hope you're happy," but I had to paraphrase it. :)


i_love_jam is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked I'm Not That Girl also liked 1877 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans