- Text Size +


This new feeling, it’s in the way her hair sweeps across her skin, his lips following warmly after it along her shoulders and her neck, startling her from her early-morning window-gazing reverie. His body behind hers, wide and comforting, his shoulders casting shadows in front of them. His voice, rumbling and tumbling down inside of her, “Good morning,” and a smacking kiss on her neck before his footsteps pad away to start the coffee.

This new feeling, it’s in: “What’s your favorite part of me?” Asked quietly, hesitantly, once it’s completely dark and he’s already touched or seen most of her so she’s no longer embarrassed.

His hands traveling down her skin, stopping in places that make her back instinctively arch forward, and a murmured, “I have a couple,” against her stomach.

Laughter and pushing on his shoulders so she can look at him. “No, seriously,” her lips forming a straight, serious line and her eyes holding his own steadily as she feels herself falling dizzyingly further into him.

His hand on her chin, turning her face to the side and his nose pressing gently behind her ear, his lips touching the soft skin there. The action saying, Here. His voice saying, “All of you.”

This new feeling, it’s in those long hours when he’s there, but she can’t touch him. Those humming vibrations through her fingers when she watches the smooth skin of his wrist while he’s writing up an order. That strange, heavy ache in her legs when he gets up to go to the bathroom and she wants to follow him, but doesn’t. His lips against the receiver of a telephone like they were against her shoulder while he slept the night before. This never fading sense of longing even with him right in front of her.

This new feeling, it’s in their terse, harsh whispers in the front seat of his car parked in the cold, dark lot of her complex. Their residual anger for all things past, coming out once again in biting words. The sting she feels somewhere deep in her gut when he turns away from her, a hand covering his mouth. Her, “Please, it’s obvious you think this means less to me than it does to you.” And his, “You know that’s not true. I just feel like I have to hold back sometimes because I don’t want to scare you.” And finally her, “I’m not scared. Not anymore.”



unfold is the author of 102 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked all our fitful failures fit every time we kiss also liked 1918 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans