- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Set post-The Job, around the flashback scene in Fun Run. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

from Karen Filippelli < kafil1078@gmail.com >
to JT < sweetums56442@gmail.com >
date May 21, 2007 10:21 PM
subject buckle up, it's another long one

Hey, sorry I missed your call yesterday. I really wanted to talk to you. Stupid time difference. :(

So yeah, I have a lot to tell you. As you know, I was dreading going back to work this morning and seeing him. I felt sick to my stomach on the way in, and in the parking lot I thought I may actually throw up. But I forced myself to enter the building anyway. Pam was at her desk, on the phone. She avoided making eye contact with me. Jim was late and wasn't there yet.

He came in a little while later. I could tell he wanted to talk to me but was too nervous to approach me, so I decided to issue a pre-emptive strike and corner him in the kitchen. I told him that just because we had broken up it didn't mean I was going anywhere, because I had worked hard for this job and I wasn't about to throw it away over some guy. Oh, and if he wanted to fuck the receptionist go right ahead but just do me a favor and don't throw it in my face every chance he gets. That's when I realized I was kind of yelling and most of the office heard me, but at that point I didn't really care.

He tried to apologize for hurting me, but what was I supposed to say? "Oh sure Jim, it's fine, don't worry about it." He kind of slunk away out of the kitchen, and I went in the bathroom and cried for 20 minutes before I composed myself. I was not about to let these people see me like that.

Luckily, God or karma or something then intervened. I got a call from David Wallace, the CFO. At first it was like another kick in the head, when he said that the corporate position I had interviewed for was given to someone else. But he quickly added that he would like to offer me the regional manager position in Utica! I didn't even have to think twice about it; I accepted on the spot. There is no sense hanging around this godforsaken hellhole anymore.

So I am moving to Utica! I start the week after next. I am going to use some vacation time this week, and they give me a week off to move. Yep, that's it, I am outta here. I have to break my lease, which is going to cost me an extra month's rent, but it's worth it. Wallace said that he will tell Michael that I'm leaving, so I wouldn't have to deal with that. Thank God.

I wanted to wait until everyone left for the night so I could pack up my desk, so I hung out in the breakroom until almost 5:30. It was really quiet and I figured everyone had left. But when I went back into the office, Pam was still there. She had her coat on and was about to walk out the door when she saw me. I really know I shouldn't have said anything to her, but I just couldn't help myself. I sarcastically congratulated her on "winning." She got really flustered and said, "It's not like that." It's not like what?

I asked her outright if she and Jim were together now. She tried to avoid answering, but the truth came out. Yes, they are together. It's only been what, three days? I wouldn't be surprised if he had run home from dumping me and jumped right into bed with her the same day.

She ended up just leaving, and I cleaned out my desk. On the way home I drove by Jim's place and her car was there.

The good news is that I don't have to go back, ever. I'm done. I will spend this week packing and then over the weekend I will go up to Utica to find a place to live. I feel really good about getting a fresh start. I know I wouldn't survive having to still work at this place and see him everyday, especially knowing that he's with her now.

I think once I get myself moved and start the new job, everything will be okay. But right now I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest. :(

I'll talk to you soon. I miss you.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans