- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Wow, this one has taken me forever to write, too long. I'm really happy to get this out there. And please know, constructive criticism is looked upon happily by me :)

And the title is a random Brandi Carlile lyric, I had too much trouble thinking of a title.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

    They get a new temp in the office. She’s young, 23 Pam thinks she hears, and her name’s Sarah. She’s taller than Pam, not by much, with light brown hair, she's quiet, kind of dull in all sincerity. But Michael takes a liking to her because of her youth and decides to put a desk back where it was.

    Sarah now sits where Jim did when he returned to Scranton. She’s always finding something to work on, but Pam can see she plays solitaire sometimes. Not often, because Pam can also see she’s pretty awful at it.

    The first week she’s there, Pam befriends her. She learns where Sarah grew up (Florida), why she moved (she always loathed the weather), what she really wants to do with her life (write novels, it then took a few extra days to find out she wanted to write non-fiction novels) and how she came to be a temp (honestly, by accident).

     It’s the second week that she’s been there when Pam finally notices. Sarah wears a ring.

     Pam’s not really sure how to approach it, but she’s too curious not to know. Jim teases her and tells her to mind her own business.

    So it’s at lunch, the two girls in the break room alone, that Pam asks -

    “So, when did you get married?”

    Sarah kind of looks at her wide-eyed for a few seconds before answering seven months.

    Pam shakes her head a little.

    “You’re so young. How did you know that it’d…” she trails off, not really knowing where she was going with the question.

    “I’m…not sure I know what you mean.”

    Pam blushes and ducks her head. She wasn’t trying to sound rude or condescending.

    Sarah takes a moment. It’s not like she never expected someone to ask.

    “I’ve known Aaron for two and a half years. We’ve been dating for nearly as long. A couple months ago, we’re driving to dinner when he says that we should just go for it, that we should get married.”

    Sarah smiles, thinking about it.

    “I tell him he’s nuts and he tells me that it could possibly be one of the biggest mistakes we ever make, although he wasn't sure it would be at all, but it’d be the greatest.” She laughs a little, her shoulders bobbing. “Somehow, he sold me on the idea.”

    Pam grins as the story was being told. She thinks a moment about Roy. And then thinks of something better.

    “Was it a pain to plan?”

    Sarah jerks herself out of her memory. “Oh, the next few days we argued over whose car to take, choosing mine, and drove to city hall. We eloped.”

    Pam nods and says, “No time to waste, huh?” Sarah agrees.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans