- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Was supposed to be a longer more complicated story but I've abandoned that idea and will just be keeping this as a oneshot. Probably more effective that way. 'Everlong' is a song by the Foo Fighters (great song btw).

This is my first Office fic. And yes, the idea has probably been done, better, a gazillion times, but...I can't help myself. Thanks for the reviews guys =).
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Time stood still.

Or at least, Jim thought it had.

In the moments it took for everything around him to grind to a stop, his senses had counteractively worked itself into a frenzied overload, making him sharply aware of many things he didn’t even realize he could be aware of. Like the thin sheen of sweat that was forming at the back of his head, curling the baby hairs at the nape of his neck. Or the cold, clamminess that had set into his large hands, making him wonder if they’d ever felt warmth at all. And the barely there tremors that were the only evidence he was still capable of movement.

He was acutely aware that the collar of his wilting, white oxford shirt suddenly felt five sizes too small, and even though the top two buttons were unbuttoned, it had taken on a suffocating life of its own. Just as sudden, he felt the wool of his sweater scratching against his skin through the thin material of his button-up shirt, chafing when it certainly could not chafe. And was it just him, or was his breathing, erratic and winded, sound like a freight train was about to barrel down his brain?

But even more than these things, he was aware of Pam. Oh, was he ever aware of Pam. Her presence wrapped around him, heavy, like a thick blanket. Everything about her tonight struck him as Pam times infinity. His eyes briefly fluttered closed as he let himself sink into the sensations she drowned him in.

Her hair, sweetly smelling of peaches and soap, wafted beneath his nose in waves.

Her lips, covered with a light coat of gloss, an understated peachy pink that glowed and screamed at him to touch.

Her body, wrapped in that sheath of purpley-pink silk, dotted with small beaded flowers made him dizzy, watching the colors shift and fade with each shift of her delicate hip.

Her eyes, which pierced a straight course into his heart and unwrapped it for all to see, left him feeling bare and unprotected.

God.

And then time wasn’t so still anymore, as he gazed at her, somewhat protected from view in the darkness of the office foyer, next to the Michael’s office window. She was leaning against his desk, her head tilted down and close to the phone receiver, her hands tangling nervously in the cord.

Here’s what he knew.

He knew that he had laid his heart on the line. There was really no other way to describe his emphatic declaration of “I’m in love with you.”

He knew that Pam had reacted in the worse way possible. Her quiet “I can’t” would probably whisper in the hollows of his mind for a while, like an echo ringing endlessly in a cave.

He knew that his heart had definitely broken – there was no other explanation for the searing pain that had struck his chest and nearly knocked the breath out of his words after she gazed at him, almost pitying as she tried to offer empty phrases she probably thought were consoling.

He knew that he probably should just leave now, turn around and go home and get ready for a new life in Stamford, Connecticut where he could remove himself from everything that was Pam and finally be free.

Here’s what he didn’t know.

He didn’t know why all he had spent the last three and a half years of his life pining after a woman who was engaged, committed, and in love with another man.

He didn’t know why he was standing in the dark offices of Dunder Mifflin, watching Pam (which, the lighter side of his brain couldn’t help but process, was a little stalker creepy).

He didn’t know why all could think about was Pam’s lips and eyes and hair when she had in not so subtle words pushed his feelings off the table.

He didn’t know why his body moved forward of its own volition – he knew it certainly wasn’t him in control because as he stared dumbfounded at his feet, he was pretty sure he hadn’t transmitted that particular directive to his brain (his heart was screaming for him to turn around and run away already).

He looked up and saw Pam’s confused gaze shoot up and meet his.

Time stood still again.


fadedblue is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Everlong also liked 108 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans