- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please comment whether you love or don't :D all's appriciated!
PLEASE NOTE: the *** are when Pam or Jim are having Flashbacks!!!
Chapter 4: The Cake Covered Sleeves.

The party came and went and it sucked naturally. After all it was Angela’s birthday party and birthdays usually weren’t too exciting at Dunder Mifflin. Dwight stood on top of a table and tried to sing from there and Pam shook her head. The heights Dwight would go for her. As Michael kept trying to get Dwight off the table top she glanced over at Jim.

He was standing against her counter, probably not on purpose, and was talking to Toby. As she refilled her cup she thought back to how many times he’d actually done that, leaned against her counter and all. None of it was casual like he had tried to play it off as.

***
“Some might even say we had our first date last night.”
***
She remembered him saying that. She thought it was cute and tried to play it off as such.
***
“Oh really?”
He nodded his head. “Really.”
***
Pam shook her head taking a sip from her cup. The conversation had been totally awkward because she really had been on a date with him now that she thinks about it. She got so upset because she knew he was right.
***
“I have some faxes to get out.”
***
She couldn’t figure out whether she was more upset or embarrassed that he might have caught on how she felt.
***
“Oh, come on. Pam, I'm...”
***

God she had been so embarrassed. She should have told him though, right there and then. Maybe if she would have this situation would have never happened.

She’d give anything to have a conversation like that with him again.

~*~*~

Jim just really couldn’t wait till everyone left. He didn’t understand why he was so irritable all of a sudden. But then he looked up and saw Pam glancing at him. Couldn’t she just knock it off for his sake? He wondered why he couldn’t feel her eyes on him. He used to be able too, because that’s when his stomach used to flutter and his hands would sweat.

***
He pushed the shopping cart and stopped suddenly to grab fabric softer. He plopped it in the cart and instantly felt her eyes on him. It was like a chemical reaction really. Anytime she smiled or looked at him his heart jumped all the way into his throat. It was hard feeling to miss.
“What?”
“You use fabric softener?” she asked still smiling.
“Yeah. You don't?”
***
Jim shook his head trying to clear away those thoughts. No need to think about the past if it can’t happen again in the future.

He walked past her with all his strength moving his legs. He would have given anything to stop. He would have given anything for her to make him feel that way again.

~*~*~

“Great party everyone. Really! Goodnight.” Michael jeered as everyone tried to shove past him to the elevator.

But before Jim and Pam could get through he stopped them. “Um what are two doing? Aren’t you clean up crew?”

“What? No Michael we got the cups and plates.” Jim said.

“On Dwight’s list you were on clean up duty. So don’t worry its Friday, no work tomorrow. Take as long as you need to tidy up.” And with that he turned and headed out the door.

Pam dropped her bag on the couch near the counter and put her coat back on the coat rack. “Doesn’t maintenance usually clean up?”

Jim looked at his watch. “I think they already left. It’s nearing two A.M” He looked around the office. “This place is a mess.”

“I can clean up if you want to go home.” She offered. It would probably be better if they weren’t around each other more than they had to be.

He turned around and she could tell he was considering it but he finally shook his head. “No I’m—I’m not going to leave you with this huge mess.”

Pam almost smiled but she didn’t. “I’ll get the cups and plates.”

“I’ll get the decorations.”

It took them about an hour to get everything into garbage bags. And just as Jim was tying up the last one Pam let out a groan.

“I think my keys fell out in one of the bags.”

Jim rolled his eyes not amused. “You’re kidding me.”

She shook her head feeling in her pockets. He waited for her to check through her bags and coat before he opened up one of them and set it lean on the refrigerator.

“Leave it to you to drop you’re keys in a garbage bag full of cake and cups.” He bent down and tried searching through it without getting stuff on his sleeves.

“Oh sorry I’ll try to be more perfect and non-mistake making like you.” She said catching the edge in his voice.

“Don’t start this now alright Pam? How old are you, four?”

“If I’m four, you’re two.”

And damnit he smiled. She must have saw him too because she stopped shifting through the bags for a moment. He quickly turned his face back into a scowl and turned to open another bag.

It really was no use any more. No matter how mad he convinced himself he was at her, his heart told him differently.

~*~*~

“Found them!” She announced.

He nodded and tied up the bags once again. By this time they’re sleeves were both covered with cake and tons of icing.

Jim stood and pushed the bags to the corner and turned to look at her. She basically was covered with icing. He wanted to smile and tell her just how ridiculous she looked. And then add mentally that she could be covered in green mud and she would still look beautiful. But he knew he shouldn’t, he really couldn’t do that anymore. Although there was this one splotch on her face he couldn’t help but stare at.

“You have icing on you’re…” he motioned with his hand to his cheek and she tried wiping it off with her sleeve, adding more.

“Got it?” She asked.

This time he did smile. “Why do you always have to be such a mess Beesley?”

She looked up suddenly and her breath nearly stopped in its tracks. She wanted to point out the sudden slip of tongue. Did he even notice he used the nickname? She was afraid to acknowledge it because if she did he might stop looking at her that way. Just the way he used too. She looked at him for a moment and recognized her Jim there. The one that didn’t include hollow stares and crude comments.

“Yep that’s me. Always a mess.” Wow and now her words sucked. She hoped her cheeks didn’t fill with crimson when she said it. That would just add to the dramatic irony popping up all over the place.

Jim moved towards the sink and turned on the tap, waiting for it to get warmer. He grabbed a wash rag on the counter and held it under the water.

“Look at me.” He instructed.

She did and he held her chin still with one of his hands. He really had balls to be doing this right now. He had some damn nerve to be touching her, even if it was just her chin, after being an ass to her the last three days. But he did anyway, even if he did suspect Pam would slap him any minute.

As he rubbed the icing off her face with the cloth she wondered if he could feel how hot her skin was getting when he touched her. How many goose bumps rose to their peeks when he was near.

“Ok you’re good.” He put the cloth back in the sink and let the water run off some left over icing on his hands.

“Thanks.” She said quickly and turned to go back out of the kitchen. She was real good at walking away when things got too important for her to handle.

“Oh and Pam?”

She sighed and turned in just enough time to get water splashed on her.

“Hey!” she exclaimed.

He smiled widely. “Try not to be such a mess next time; I’m not your kindergarden teacher.”

“No you know what you are?” she asked, making her way closer to the sink.

“An ass…” she splashed a huge wave of water at him and it hit him square in the chest. He looked down at his shirt, which was nicely see through-ish by the way, and went after her.

“You’re so dead Beesley.”

She squealed as she tried ditching him but as she turned he picked her up in his arms and turned her quickly. She laughed enjoying the long waited contact with him. She was tired of missing this, missing him.

And before Pam knew what was going on they were kissing. She thinks she was in mid-sentence when it happened too. But she honestly couldn’t remember if she tried, everything melted away as soon as his lips connected with hers.

He stopped suddenly still holding her up in his arms. “I-I’m sorry.” Jim stammered.

“Really?” She asked.

He was going to respond but she did it for him. “Because I’m not.”

He smiled widely as she leaned in to kiss him again.
Chapter End Notes:
thanx to all who have been reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans