- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the last chapter. So please leave your last comments on this story! :D
______________________________________________________
Chapter 9: The Confetti Hearts and Fading Colors.

“Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam.”

Jim looked up from his computer and watched her answer the phone. He couldn’t remember a time when he didn’t do that, when his days weren’t filled with watching her every move. It was finally nearing 4:55 and Jim shut down his computer. He had something special he was planning for Pam and he was itching to finish it.

When Pam noticed he was getting ready to leave without her she tried hurrying her computer into shutting down, only accomplishing with freezing it.

“I’ll see you later okay?” Jim said, hurrying to grab his jacket.

“My computer just froze. Can you give me a few minutes?”

Jim shook his head and put his bag on the ground to put his coat on. “I have stuff I need to do.” By the way her face changed he swore he must have hit her or something. “I’m just in a hurry, sorry.”

She nodded and wished her damn computer would unfreeze and shut down. “Yeah, I understand. I’ll see you later or whatever.”

As he turned to push the door open he looked back at her. “Oh and Pam, button up it’s cold outside.”

Even though she was irritated she nodded anyways. He could tell he upset her a bit but he needed to ignore that for now. He had bigger things to set in order.

~*~*~

Pam finally got her computer to unfreeze and shut down ten minutes after Jim left. She was irked by the fact that he couldn’t just wait ten lousy minutes for her. Roy had always been that way, doing things now and in a hurry. Except for their wedding, however. It had taken three years of engagement just to realize nothing was going to happen anyway.

She grabbed her jacket from the coat rack and a piece of pink paper fell from one of the pockets. She was confused as to where it fell from since she didn’t remember putting it in there. As she bent over to get it she realized it was a pink envelope rather than a piece of paper and it had little red hearts embroidering the sides.

As she opened it little red confetti hearts spilled from the envelope and she pulled out a piece of paper which said,

Meet me on the roof.

She grinned. She now realized why Jim had told her to button up.

~*~*~

Jim twisted his hands nervously waiting for Pam. For a moment he didn’t think she had gotten his note, until he heard footsteps coming from the stairwell leading to the roof.

She opened the door and almost gasped at what she saw. Twenty or thirty miniature candles were carefully placed around the roof top giving off a romantic glow. Around each of the candles were rose petals and heart confetti covering the ground.

Jim stood to one side watching her reaction and when she turned to him with a few tears making their way down her cheek, he thought he’d done something wrong.

“Don’t like the confetti?” he tried laughing but it just came out dry. The words I can’t from Casino Night suddenly filled his ears and he was worried about his heart getting broken again.

Pam laughed, the tears muffling her voice. “It’s beautiful Jim.”

He let out a sigh, greatly relieved. He turned and took two wine glasses filled with champagne off the fold out table he brought up and handed it to her.

She took it from him and looked around. “When did you do all this?”

He wiped some tears off her face with his gloved hand. “Had some time at lunch, when I told you I wasn’t feeling well.”

“You were gone for some time Jim, you had me worried.”

He kissed her head. “Sorry, but it was worth it wasn’t it?”

“Can I ask you something?” she asked suddenly.

After he nodded she took a breath and asked. “Remember Casino night…?”

Jim just looked at her; he didn’t think he was even breathing anymore. This topic was not a fond one and he wanted to know why she brought it up.

“When you said you wanted to be more? What did you mean?”

He didn’t honestly know what that meant when he had said it. He was just trying to keep her from walking away, to keep her listening to him. So now he had her, basically within arms length. What had he meant?

“I just…I wanted us. I wanted you.” He wanted her everywhere at once. In his arms, his grasp, his eyesight, in his damn heart. He needed her to be there all at once or he felt like he’d fall apart at the seams. “I still do. Because when I don’t, everything fades and I fall apart.”

Pam nodded slowly and understood because that’s all she felt when he wasn’t there. When he was gone, everything seemed to die away or collapse. Colors dripped from their places and fell to the floor, leaving black and white memories in their place.

They had let everything around them turn so black and white. It wasn’t entirely their fault either; it was just the way things worked. But she was tired of not being able to see the sky as blue or the rose petals as red. She was tired of being scared all the time that the black and white would stay even if she was with him.

Pam leaned foreword and kissed him on the lips and Jim tried to maneuver putting his wine glass down before finally dropping it. He pushed his hands around her waist and pulled her towards him and she pulled his head farther down to hers.

As they quickly ran out of breath and pulled apart, Pam looked straight into Jim’s blue eyes. “Maybe more…is just what we needed.”

He smiled softly and she grabbed his hand and turned to lean her back on his chest. He was sturdy and soft and she loved the way she could still smell him even if her back was turned. It was comforting and that’s when she noticed the red petals on the ground. She couldn’t remember a time when red was that vibrant, that passionate or alluring. Even in the dim candle light the colors around her were pulsating.

No more black and white or trying to heal broken hearts. Fate wasn’t turning this around on them this time; it wasn’t going to screw with what they worked for. After all, they were more than they were supposed to be.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to who read the whole thing and loved it. :D


civillove is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked More than we're supposed to be. also liked 1957 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans