- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place around Local Ad.
Inspiration for this came from this interview with Angela Kinsey, where she talks about how Dwight and Angela got togther.
http://popgurls.com/article_show.php3?id=667
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


She stood, admiring their work. The Christmas lights were the final touch. Although the plan was to recreate the atmosphere that had led to Dwight and Angela's first kiss, she found herself remembering how that night, she had felt her cheeks redden when she had caught herself watching him as he sung a karaoke duet with Michael. How after 2 beers, she had kind of wanted to kiss him, even though she knew she wouldn't.

The idea had come to her at Poor Richard's, after everyone watched the ad that Michael stayed up all night editing on his computer.

"Seriously? That is how it happened?"

"Yes.", she had said her eyes wide, motioning for him to lower his voice. "She told me while we were waiting in the bathroom line. I don't think it was Ginger Ale that she was drinking either."

Poor Richard's was loud, it was doubtful that anyone would overhear, but he had leaned in close anyway. He liked the way her thigh felt against his thigh.

"It's just . . . I never thought I would be a part of history like this." he had said as he inhaled the scent of her hair. "It's kind of gross in a way".

She threw her head back and laughed her hand on his knee. She suddenly realized how much she was enjoying the constant planning to rekindle Dwight and Angela's relationship. It made her feel good in a way that she could not explain. If pressed, she would probably say something about having a soft spot for Dwight since he had tried to console her the day she had cried over Jim and Karen. But, maybe it was something more, something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Wait, I just had the best idea ever.", she had said, as he drank the last of his beer and smiled into the glass, knowing that he would go along with whatever she was cooking up.

They had paused while Kevin squeezed past them, a bottle of beer clutched in each hand.

"Michael says he can do that thing where you throw something and knock an apple off someone's head. We are calling dibs on who is not going to take Dwight to the emergency room."

"Should we . . ."

"Absolutely not."

"Right. Ok, here's my idea. We recreate that night. Remind them of their first kiss. It may just be enough to break her down."

“Very romantic Beesley, though I’m not sure it will be enough to melt the ice queen’s heart.”

He had thought about their first kiss. Well, really, their third first kiss. How inexplicably it had been more awkward than the former ones, but how her lips had tasted just the way he remembered. The way she had shyly pushed her bangs behind her ear and looked at him expectantly, and the way in which in that one spectacular moment, he had been absolutely certain that telling her he was in love with her all those months ago, had been the most important decision he had ever made.

"Do you think we could get Phyllis to sing White Snake again?" he had said.

"Yes!” she had said emphatically, already breaking, erupting into the laugh that was just so . . . her. Unwound, inviting, the sound of home, and the past.

"Cause, I think that would really set the mood." he had said trying hard to sound serious.

After five straight days of cajoling, and promising her that it was just a small, refined gathering, and that she desperately needed help planning it, she had finally persuaded Angela to come. She hadn't been sure Angela would actually show up, but she had, and now Jim was tickling her elbow and making faces in Angela's direction.

"Your mission was so much easier." she whispered as she made her way towards Angela. She had not yet figured out how she would handle things when Angela realized Dwight had also been invited, as had most of the rest of the Office . . . except for Andy.

Angela's arms were crossed, never a good sign. Pam took a deep breath, and joined her, her leg bumping against the edge of Jim's couch. Dwight was sneaking glances, but Angela only stared stonily ahead.

"I thought this was only going to be a small gathering. Everyone is here."

Pam bit her lip, trying to come up with a way to keep her from leaving.

"What do you think of Andy?" Angela said surprising her.

"Like as boyfriend material?"

"Pam, is that all you ever think about?"

"I uh . . . "

Angela did not wait for the rest of Pam's response. "No. I mean as a man. He is trustworthy right? Maybe a little strange, but a gentleman still . . ."

"I um, I guess. But what about Kurt?" Pam whispered. "He and Noelle seemed perfect for each other . . .”

Angela pulled back. "That is none of your business."

"Your right, I shouldn't . . . I mean I am totally the wrong person to give advice about relationships. It just seemed like fate brought Kurt and Noelle together. It's a shame that they have drifted apart."

Pam hid a smile at that. She wasn't sure if fate was what brought them together, but it was a shame to see Dwight so sad, and painful for everyone, to be around Angela who had become all sharp angles and withering glances.

Angela's pony tail swung sharply as she narrowed in on Pam. "Is that what you think? Now that your with Jim? Grow up Pam. Fate is just a matter of proximity and circumstance. You shouldn't let yourself be deluded by romantic notions."

Pam gulped, and then took a sip of her beer, unsure what to say next. She met Jim's eyes across the room, silently sending out an SOS. Things were not going the way she had hoped.

"Hey Angela. Glad you came.” Jim said arching a mischievous eyebrow in Pam’s direction. “I was wondering, since you have a lot of experience with party planning, if you could help organize the karaoke. Things got a little crazy last time."

"Of course." Angela said curtly, pushing past Phyllis who was going through the karaoke song book.

“Thank you. That was going badly.”

“Well, I am better at this kind of stuff. Don't feel bad, it's just a thing I have always been able to do.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes. And, I just happened to have asked Dwight to help me get the Karaoke machine hooked up. So . . .”

Jim looked over the top of her head. Dwight stood up as Angela approached the area where he was plugging in the Karaoke machine.

"Check it out."

Pam looked over in time to see Dwight, fearful, yet hopeful say hello to Angela.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for the awesome reviews. Sorry, I am so behind at responding :( This one took me longer to write than I thought it would, I rewrote it a dozen times. Hopefully the next one will go down smoother.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans