- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Angela crossed her arms and stretched her legs. She looked at the ceiling then back down to the floor. She grew bored of the pattern on the floor and looked over at Jim. He was sitting in the same position as she was, but his head was resting on the wall and his eyes were closed.

Angela bit her bottom lip. She needed to talk to someone. What she wanted was to talk to Pam because Pam was very good at pretending that she didn't know who they were really talking about. Pam also had a lot of problems, so Angela was sure that she wasn't introducing anything new to Pam. Pam was sort of like the first mouse in the maze that had already managed to find the cheese.

She examined Jim closely. She still wasn't sure what to think of him - Dwight said he was sort of an idiot, but now Angela felt like Dwight was an idiot, so she was reasonably conflicted. All the debauchery aside, Jim seemed like an okay person. He was good to Pam, which Pam deserved - not that Angela would ever say that out loud. She wanted to, sometimes. Sometimes she wanted to go for coffee with Pam again and ask her advice - real advice, with real names and everything, not just "my friend has a friend." But she wouldn't, couldn't.

"I'm not a bad person," she said with a sigh. She hadn't really meant to say it out loud, but she wasn't really sorry it happened.

Jim opened his eyes slowly and turned to look at her. He was expecting to see the usual hard, judgmental expression on her face, but was surprised to find tenderness hidden in her eyes. "Hmm?"

"It's just... I mean, a friend of mine - she's not a bad person," Angela said. She stared down into her lap. "I have a friend who had... a... friend and this friend did something to my friend, something that she can't easily forgive. It's a trust issue... for them, I mean."

"It's tough to be in... that friend's position, I'm sure," Jim told her carefully. He didn't want to scare her off the conversation, even if he had no idea how to go about it. "I'm not sure you know the effect it really has on... this friend. What happened was something that... well, I'm sure that this friend thought he was doing your friend a favor. The friend was only trying to help, to make things better for... your friend. Love isn't about being perfect - it's knowing that someone is still going to be there for you when you make a mistake."

Angela looked down into her lap and mumbled, "Maybe you won't go to hell after all."

Jim smirked and shook his head.

* * * * *

Pam was playing solitaire the old-fashioned way (with no tth-tth-tth sound, sadly) when Kevin came out of the break room.

"There is no food in there or the kitchen," he announced. He held a wad of one dollar bills tightly in his fist. "I wanted some chips."

"How is there no food?" Oscar asked. "Those vending machines were full."

"They're all empty," Kevin said. "And most of the soda is sold out."

Oscar got up from his desk and went in to the break room. For a lack of anything better to do, Pam, Toby, and Kevin followed him in.

All the vending machines were indeed empty, except for an apple in the vending machine that dispensed fresh foods.

"How is this possible?" Pam asked.

Toby was pressing buttons on the soda machine. Most of them were reading Sold Out. "I don't know."

"I am starving," Kevin complained again. He rested his forehead on one of the empty machines.

Pam felt a little guilty about the wasted Pop Tarts that were covered in snow on the roof, but didn't mention it. She shrugged. "Maybe Michael knows something about it. He was the first one in today. Maybe nobody came to fill them today."

The four of them went to Michael's office and Oscar knocked on the door.

After a few minutes, Michael opened the door. He had a smudge of chocolate on the corner of his mouth and chip crumbs were dribbled down the front of his shirt. He smiled. "What's up, amigo?"

"The vending machines are empty," Oscar said. "We're all getting hungry and that's the only food we have here right now."

"Weeeeiiiiiiird," Michael said. "Well, there is an apple in there, so, you can split it, or..."

"How do you know about the apple?" Pam asked.

"All right, see you later," Michael said.

He tried to slam the door but Oscar pushed against it. They struggled for a few minutes before Michael was thrown back and Oscar pushed the door open. The four of them walked into the office. Michael had one candle lit, but that was enough light for them to see all they needed.

Spread on Michael's desk and on the floor were various vending machine items. He had soda stacked along the wall.

"He's hoarding food!" Oscar exclaimed.

"No! Get out!" Michael exclaimed. "I brought all this from home! Jan made it!"

Kevin picked up a package of Ding Dongs from Michael's desk.

Michael frowned. "She... made... those..."

"You can't hoard food," Toby said and sighed.

"It's every man for himself," Michael said. "Sorry, Pam. You're not a man, you don't get anything."

Dwight burst into Michael's office. "What is going on here?"

"Michael's hoarding food," Pam told him, even though she was pretty sure Dwight was in on the plan.

"We'll be out of here in a few hours," Oscar said. "What made you think this was a good idea?"

"I thought I was going to die," Michael said. "Vampires."

He grimaced. "But now I just have a stomachache."

Everyone shook their heads and gathered the food in their arms then left Michael's office. They deposited the food on Jim's desk so everyone could access it. Kevin unwrapped a candy bar happily.

"Well, now that we can get out, I think I'm gonna see if I can go get the power back on," Pam said.

"I'll go with you," Toby said. He looked surprised by his own voice.

Pam shrugged. "Yeah, okay. I'll get a flashlight."

After Pam retrieved the flashlight from a kit behind her desk, she and Toby left the office and made their way down the hall to the fuse box.

Pam felt uncomfortable with the silence. "So, at least we don't have to deal with Michael right now. I can't believe him sometimes."

"Yeah, that's another reason to do this."

"I hope it gets the elevator working," Pam said as they reached the fuse box. "I'd hate for Jim and Angela to be stuck in there for the rest of the night."

She opened the fuse box and shone the light on the switches. "I wonder which one it is..."

"Uh... can I ask you something?" He sounded uncomfortable. "Or, uh, get your advice or opinion, or...?"

"Sure," Pam replied. She continued to look over the switches. "Shoot."

"I was, uh, wondering..." Toby faltered. "It's just that I..."

When he didn't finish his sentence, Pam turned and looked at him. "Something wrong?"

"No," he answered slowly. "I guess it's just... weird to say. But, um, I have this... crush, I guess you might say, on someone, but she's in a relationship. I want to tell her, but I don't want it to be weird because we're together a lot."

Pam nodded to show she was taking the information in. She looked back to the fuse box and began examining the switches again, running her fingers over the tiny labels. "Well, I think it depends on how strongly you feel."

She smirked to herself. "Is it Phyllis? Or anyone I know?"

Toby was silent. He reached his hand up to the fuse box, his fingers brushing purposefully across the back of Pam's hand as he reached for one of the switches. He said quietly, "I think it's this one."

He flipped the switch and lights blinked on. Toby's hand fell to his side.

Pam slowly closed the fuse box. She looked up at Toby, her brow furrowed.

"I think," she said slowly, "that... this woman probably thinks you're a good friend and wouldn't want to ruin that friendship. And I think that she's with who she's with because she's in love with him. But that's just my... guess..."

Toby nodded slowly. "Right. Yeah. Of course."

Pam offered a small, sad smile. She switched off the flashlight and walked back to the office.

Toby sighed and leaned against the wall, the back of his head resting on the cool surface of the fuse box's metal door.

Chapter End Notes:
Well, I'm getting my wisdom teeth out today (in half an hour!) so whenever I can function well enough to operate my computer, I will post the last chapter. Yep, only one chapter left to go!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans