- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Just a little idea I had about what New Year's Eve might be like at the Scranton Branch.
Author's Chapter Notes:
No beta because of the time constraint. But, I'd like to think that WildBerryJam and EmilyHalpert would have loved to beta this. Lord knows it needs it. So, bear with me.

 

At 11:59, everyone shuffled quickly to their special someone.

“It’s 11:59, people. Only sixty seconds ‘til the New Year begins!” the announcer said merrily on the television.

Andy made a mad dash towards Angela, who rolled her eyes at him. Dwight lifted an eyebrow as he took a moment from monitoring the activity of the punchbowl to monitoring them.

Kelly giddily ran to Daryl, who nearly spilt his drink as she dove towards him.

Meredith sat down next to Toby, who stood quickly and made his way to the other side of the room.

Kevin giggled frantically as Jan and Michael stood frigidly next to one another. When Michael’s hand grasped hers with an arthritis type grip, Kevin lost all control and snorted, causing Meredith’s gaze to focus on him.

Phyllis lovingly rubbed Bob’s arm as they sat quietly to the side of the conference room, watching the television.

As he was ladling punch into two cups, Jim looked over his shoulder as the television announcer loudly boomed across the room again.

“We’ve got about thirty seconds until the ball begins to descend downward here in New York City’s Time Square. Hurry up and get to that loved one before it’s too late!”

Andy wrapped an arm around Angela. Her glacial stare found his hand resting on her shoulder and just so happened to catch Dwight’s affixed eyes from behind them.

Meredith found Kevin’s side and kept her face turned to his. When he looked down to see her standing there, she shook her head and frantically bounced her eyes to find another’s.

Phyllis leaned closer to Bob to whisper something in his ear. A smile spread across his face almost instantly.

Pam played with her necklace as she stood near the back of the room, watching on as Jim continued to pour some punch into another cup for Meredith, who was creepily fluttering her eyes at him.

Toby shook his head in defeat and finally just walked out of the conference room.

Michael gasped and sunk into a stance that had Jan rolling her eyes. It looked as if he was going to jump up like a Jack in the Box when the clock struck midnight.

Oscar sat lazily and lonely in a chair by the window. He stared at the television unmoved. He jumped when a hand rested softly on his shoulder…

“Alright folks. The New Year will begin when the ball has finished it’s climb down! The countdown begins….” the obnoxious voice said again.

Kelly squealed with joy as she latched on to Daryl even tighter. Angela rolled her eyes in disgust in their general direction.

Michael cleared his throat. “Get ready!” he screamed.

Jim finally made his way over to Pam’s side, where he handed her a cup and they both took sips.

“…Now!” echoed the announcer, as the sound of the crowd roared with the incessant beeping of a timer.

Most began chanting with the clock.

Ten.

Daryl leaned away even further from Kelly.

Nine.

Kevin took a step towards the dessert table, picking up one of Angela’s famous brownies.

Eight.

Phyllis leaned her head down on Bob’s broad shoulder.

Seven.

Michael bounced like a puppy at the image of the big, bright ball, as it fell with every tick of the clock.

Six.

Andy stood and screamed, with his hands in the air. “Happy New Year!”

Five.

Everyone looked at him annoyed. “My clock says it’s midnight…” he mumbled, looking at his watch and sitting back down next to Angela. Dwight snickered from behind them.

Four.

Oscar furrowed his brow as he shrugged Meredith’s hand off of his shoulder.

Three.

Andy leaned in closer to Angela, with his lips puckered, as she moved away slowly.

Two.

Dwight coughed loudly.

One!

“Happy New Year!” everyone screamed. Most of everyone, anyways. The sound of Au Lang Syne filled the room.

People cheered, Michael bounced up shouting, Jan dropped her head and crossed her arms over her chest, noise makers were clanging and whistling, and Kevin shoved an extra brownie in his pocket.

Kelly grabbed Daryl’s face and pushed her lips to his as he squirmed beneath her grasp.

Meredith looked down at her spiked drink and tipped it upward into her mouth. Oscar watched on in disgust.

Phyllis placed a kiss to Bob’s lips and they giggled like school kids.

Pam looked up and smiled at Jim who was looking down at her with a grin as well.

Andy leaned in the rest of the way just to feel the cotton of Angela’s sleeve as she stood to leave the room. He got up and went after her.

Jim leaned down and whispered into Pam’s ear. “I’m looking forward to a great year with you.” She smiled back.

 

Michael looked around in confusion. “Where’s Stanley? Anyone seen him?” he asked.

Oscar spoke up. “He went home hours ago Michael. He has a family.”

Michael huffed in disagreement.

“So do I,” Kevin said, with his mouth full.

Kelly barged in. “Toby left too!”

Michael made a face of disgust. “So?”

 

Across the room, Jim and Pam were still looking at each other intently. “I love you,” Pam said softly.

“Love you too,” Jim replied, leaning down the rest of the way to place his lips on hers.

 

“Angela!” Andy shouted from outside the conference room. Dwight let out a delightful grin.

And finally, just as the clock stopped ringing in the New Year, Jim and Pam locked lips for their first New Year’s kiss.

“Have a Great ‘08, everyone!” the announcer said as the camera’s panned to the uproariously excited crowd in Times Square.

Michael gapped at the sound. “That’s my line!” he bellowed.

Everyone in the conference room looked towards Michael with blank expressions.

A happy New Year indeed.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Leave some lovin'.

Happy New Year's, MTTers! Here's to the next year. The Great '08!



BeckySue is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked What Are You Doing New Years Eve? also liked 1089 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans