- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I built this fic around the last sentence, so think of that what you will. Also thanks for the beta comiskey from LJ. You always catch the little things and make my stuff so much better!
Thursday Michael announces that, tomorrow, everyone is required to dress like they would in high school and Pam sighs slightly before glancing at Jim who gives her a grin.

Angela, Stanley, and, surprisingly, Kevin all protest, but she’s not really paying attention to them anymore because she knows the only reason he’s doing this is because Phyllis accidentally mentioned that she was invited to some semi-formal weird high school reunion and he wasn’t.

Jim walks up to her desk, pulling out a sticky note of all the things he had in high school she’s sure he never wore and she laughs along with him. She mentions a special trip to Kohl’s for a pair of the dorky jeans he has listed and he gives her a look clearly saying yes, let’s go or maybe perfect opportunity to prank Dwight. Sometimes it’s hard to tell, even with a face that conveys so much emotion in the simplest looks.

*****


He walks her to her car after work holding doors and waiting with a smile. It feels normal until he reaches out and gently touches her scarf, (almost) murmurs he’s been thinking about getting one for himself.

Jim leaves before he can say anything else.

*****


They don’t go to Kohl’s together.

Pam does go home, to Roy, and life, and normal and opens her closet. Roots through cardigans and blouses and finds a turtleneck she really loves to wear when no one’s around.

Roy doesn’t comment, just watches a game, the game, but she tells him Michael’s making them dress like high-schoolers anyway.

*****


Dwight is there when she arrives and, yes, he is wearing an anime t-shirt that he immediately explains isn’t the actual shirt he wore however he outgrew that one and this is from the same manufacturer.

Pam smiles because Jim owes her five dollars.

*****


Everyone else pretty much took it as a casual Friday because the next six who pass are all wearing jeans. Not that she isn’t, but her turtleneck has flecks of paint staining it and she’s proud.

*****


Angela looks normal when she curtly says hello and Pam is vaguely disappointed until Jim walks in and she tries not to notice his scarf. He takes her in with a lost smile and watches her for moments too long before speaking. She can’t bring herself to mind.

Pam points out the shirt and he fishes out his wallet and he really doesn’t look away.

*****


He’s dressed in jeans and a green sweater that brings out his eyes and Converse, classic black high-tops, that he’s left stretched in her direction all day, which means he’s faced her for three hours and she still hasn’t gotten any work done.

*****


Michael’s meltdown happens after a lunch involving talk of stereotypes and Jim’s stories. Finally, he sobs a little in his office, calls both she and Jim in several times, alone and together, sees how silly the whole thing was, and promises to have his own party later. When is never specified, but the look on Jim’s face more than makes up for the fact that they’ll probably have to spend hours after work with Michael.

*****


They leave together at 5:12 and she stares at his scarf the whole elevator ride. She can feel him staring back at her, but she thinks maybe she needs to burn the darker stripes into her mind.

She doesn’t hesitate at her car when she reaches out and grabs the material, letting it run through her hand as she lets go. Jim scuffs at the ground and she tells him she loves it.

*****


Monday Creed shows up to work in bell bottoms, carrying a duffle bag and nobody asks why.


dreamingwriter is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans