- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not all that original...not all that unique...

Still it begged to be written.  So now - it is. :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

 She can see her, twisting the phone cord in her fingers.  It's what she used to do when she was in high school.  In an effort to keep her off the phone her father had resisted buying one that was cordless.  He figured that even if they bought the longest cord imaginable she'd still have to stay stuck on the first floor of the house.  Maybe with that obstacle she'd hang up faster.

She's mimicking her daughter as she hears her answer.

"I don't know Mom.  He's my best friend."

"Well.  That might tell you something."

"Yeah.  He's great."

She can almost hear Pam's mind spinning.

"What are you thinking honey?  Do you think you might be feeling the same way about him?"

There's a hesitation…ever so slight before Pam's voice comes across the line.

"Yeah.  I think I am."

And then, there's a definite shift in her voice when she adds.

"Um.  I have to go."

"What??"  Was she kidding?  She could not leave her hanging like this.  "Honey.  Call me right back."  She says quickly.

"I will."

She hears the receiver click and is about to hang up herself.  But then she hears a voice, one that is as familiar as her own.

It's ironic that a woman who answers the phone for a living would inadvertently engage the speaker phone as she replaces the handset in the cradle.

"Listen.  Jim."

And then?  She hears nothing.

Well.  Not exactly nothing. 

There's the quiet yet unmistakeable sound of mingling breath and…soft, almost tentative kisses.  Her cheeks flush in embarrassment as realization washes over her. 

She feels the tightening in her chest abate a bit.  A weight lifts off her shoulders.

She's been secretly hoping something like this would happen.

"Oh my God.  JIM."

There's a quick, nervous laugh.  "Yeah." 

Disbelief fills her daughter's voice.  "You…"

"Yeah."

"I'm…"

"I know."

"And you…"

"Pam.  I didn't mean to do that." 

There's a heavy sigh. 

"OK.  Not true.  I always meant to do that.  I've been meaning to do that for three years."

There's a sniffle and a rustle of silk.  The voice she knows so well suddenly sounds like it's further away.

"Jim…"

"I'm not sorry.  No matter what - I'm not going to be sorry."  She hears him take another deep breath, even as she holds hers.

"I've always wondered…"  Her daughter's voice is dreamy.  "I mean.  I was curious what it'd be like if you actually tried to stop me..."

"You were?"

"Yeah.  But…I mean.  It's too late isn't it?  I mean - Roy…my parents."

Two hours away, her blood begins to simmer.  Pamela Beesly.  Don't you dare use me as an excuse.  She's so desperate for her to hear her thoughts she nearly says them aloud.

His reply is laced with sorrow.  "Yeah.  I know." 

His voice gets louder.  She hears the wheels of a chair squeak. 

"Look.  Pam.  I just thought I'd give it a shot.  If you want to marry him I'll…"

There's another swish of silk and then the unmistakeable sound of lips meeting…

…over and over and over again.

She smiles widely - thinking she should hang up but at the same time, completely desperate to hear how this all ends.

The voices come in a hushed whisper now. 

She can hear the smile in his voice.  "Stop stalling.  Just say it already."

"I…" 

Say it Pam.  She wills her silently.  Go ahead, sweetie.  Just say it.

"I think…"

"Closer."

"I think I might…"

"Go on." There's a low husky chuckle.  "Almost there."

"…be in love with you too."

There's that muffled sound again, and she can swear she hears her daughter giggle.

Smiling widely, she moves to hang up the phone.    

Just before she succeeds she lets out an unbelievably loud sneeze.

Pam's eyes fly open wide as she hears the unmistakeable sound.

"Oh my God."  She whispers as she clutches Jim's sweater in her fist.  "I must have hit the speaker…my mother…"

Jim pulls her closer and lets out a loud laugh. 

"Bless you Mrs. Beesly."

She laughs loudly as she replies. 

"You too."  Completely satisfied, she finally hangs up the phone.



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Phone Etiquette... also liked 2314 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans