- Text Size +
The news from corporate had gotten passed around by the time the workday got rolling; Karen had called Dave Wallace and asked for a transfer. There had been an immediate opening for a managerial position in upstate New York available, and since Dave had just interviewed her - she was hired on the spot.

Pam was getting a wicked sort of amusement from her bird’s-eye view, watching Jim squirm and his neck turn red as various co-workers would offer their sympathies with sympathetic head-nods or shoulder pats. She’d catch him giving her a quick, nervous peek afterwards, as though worried about her reaction. She shook her head as the next pat from Kevin had him peeking over again. She didn’t meet his gaze, but continued sipping her tea. Moron, she thought with tender humor.

Michael was in a somber mood. He’d instructed Pam to tell all callers (especially any ‘girl’ callers) that he was unavailable. Whenever the phone rang, he’d wave his hands frantically to get her attention and then pantomime that he wasn’t here. His worries were well-founded, she noticed. By the end of the day Pam counted that Jan had called thirteen times.

Around 10am, Andy had strutted over to Karen’s vacated desk and placed a mug labeled, ‘Cornell Alumni’, dramatically on the surface. “I claim this desk in the name of Andy.” He intoned. He then playfully tried to shoulder-punch Phyllis, who dodged. “All salesmen together at last in Salesmenville, right? All for one and one for all, man!” He made gun noises as he pointed finger-pistols at Jim, who just looked up with raised eyebrows.

Andy became immediately contrite and put up his hands, backing away, “Whoa. Sorry, Big Tuna! Still too fresh a loss, right?” He picked the mug back up and raised his voice once again. “I unclaim this…” He stopped as Jim raised a hand.

“No, Andy, it’s alright.” He waived for him to put the mug back down. “You’re right, all the sales people should be together.” He returned Stanley and Phyllis’ cold stares with a shrug.

Michael came out of his office as Andy began carting his stuff over. “Yeah. That’s a good idea, guys. A little comradery right now, right? In fact,” He waived his hand at Ryan’s empty desk. “Let’s get rid of this thing! Big eyesore, sittin’ here all empty. Pam!” He spun and pointed at her, snapping his fingers as she stared at him. “Call Darryl and have him take this away.” He made a dramatic sweep with his arm.

“Actually Michael…”Jim raised a finger. “I’ll take that desk again.” He could feel Pam looking at him, but he couldn’t see her…which was the point. “I’ve kind of missed the good ole days of hearing you work in your office behind me.”

Michael nodded, seeing the inherent wisdom in this. “Yes. The good ole days. Good idea, Jim. Pam!” He said again, turning to go back into his office, “Make it so!”

****************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: IMing with 'Wooing Jim'

Please review:)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans