- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam catch a drink after work.

****************************************
Jim watched Pam come back to her desk a few minutes later, her eyes and her nose a little red. As their eyes met, she gave a little nod to show she was okay. He started to get up, but she made a slight warning motion with her hand indicating he was to stay put.

A phone call kept him busy for the next several minutes. When he wrapped it up, he had a new message.

pbeesley: I’m okay. Happy tears only. But now I’d like “Jim” Jim to come back. “Wooing” Jim’s powers are just too powerful for the confines of the office…it’ll have to wait until after work;)

He looked over at her with a small smile and typed:

jhalpert: Who’s this other man you speak of? “Wooing” Jim, you say? Never heard of him. If you tell me who made you cry I can punch them for you…or send Dwight with some pepper spray.

pbeesley: Shut it.

jhalpert: Shutting. Wanna get a drink after work?

pbeesley: Okay...you owe me a drink for making me cry;-P



******************************************


They sat across from each other at Poor Richard’s in the booth Jim had snagged when they came in. Jim sipped his Bud Lite and Pam fiddled with the label on her Smirnoff Ice as they talked about nothing and everything. They each could only have one as they were both driving and Pam had a class later, but they tried to make them last as long as they could.

They were getting there, Jim thought as he listened to her talk about her art class and her projects. They were getting their friendship back along with all the romance.

“So, no naked women, then?” He asked, feigning disappointment as he took another sip.

“No, no, naked men. Old naked, skinny, saggy, men with liver spots.” She shuddered along with him as she thought of her upcoming class. “After what happened with that college student model and the bored housewife in my class over the winter…,” she sighed dramatically, as though remembering him, “I don’t think they’re taking any chances.”

“Sorry,” he said unapologetically, pointing a pretzel at her. “I think I’m with them on that one. Can I see your stuff?” He threw in suddenly. He lost his smile as he watched her immediately grow nervous. He reached over and stopped the hand unfastening the label, letting go as her eyes meet his once again. “I am sorry about your art show, Pam. I’m really sorry I missed it. Karen made plans that night.” He smiled a little and started picking at his own label. “I found out later she did it on purpose because she’d learned how I felt about you.”

She nodded, forgiving him and letting go of the hurt. He’d told her about what he’d told Karen at Oscar’s party during dinner last week. “It’s okay. I understand,” and she did. “Competition sucks.” she said, making them both laugh.

“So, can I see it?” He asked again.

“Eh,” She said, smiling slightly and giving him a doubtful look, “I don’t know. This is art with a capitol ‘A’. Gallery viewing has to be earned.”

“Earned, huh?” He chewed on his lip as he looked at her suspiciously. “Earned how?”

“Hmm.” She thoughtfully tapped her lip with her bottle then shrugged. “I don’t know yet, but it’ll come to me.”

“Duly warned,” he acknowledged manfully. “Now, tomorrow…” He straightened up in his seat a bit. “Can you come to my place around 7?”

“I’m a little pizza’d-out, Jim.” She smiled as she teased him.

He rolled his eyes as he grabbed her hand, pulling it towards him, laying a kiss in the center of her palm as he’d done in the elevator. He smiled, a small, satisfied, smile as her eyes immediately unfocused. “No pizza.” He promised softly and kissed her palm again, “No Disney.” Another kiss. “Just us and a little dinner.”

She didn’t (couldn’t actually) say anything as he put her hand back around her bottle. She immediately raised it to quench a mouth gone dry. “Seven’s fine.” She said raspily after she cleared her throat.

“Okay, then. I’ll go settle up.” He grinned at her as he got out up out of the booth. “We can’t have you late.” He gave her shoulder a friendly punch. “There’s a naked man waiting for you!”

*****************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Dinner tomorrow

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans