- Text Size +

XII. Light

Pam stopped short upon entering the apartment. The only light was coming from the kitchen, in the back of the apartment. The living and dining rooms were shrouded in shadow, making the wonderful smell of the cooking dinner by far the most overwhelming sensation.

In the dimness, Jim saw Pam reaching confidently for the light switch. "Stop," he said softly. "Just wait a second." He moved around her and crossed the room. Fumbling for the lighter he knew he'd put in his pocket, he quickly lit the four candles he'd arranged around the room and on the table.

Once the candles were lit, Pam moved slowly into the dining room. "What's the occasion?" she said lightly, but even in the soft glow of the candles Jim could see her smile.

"I just like the way you look in candlelight," he replied. The gleam of the flames picked up the highlights in her hair and made her eyes sparkle. She looked lit from within, somehow, as though her happiness was somehow glowing outward instead of the light coming from somewhere else.

Her smile turned sheepish for a moment, then creased into a thoughtful frown. "When have you seen me by candlelight?" she asked.

Jim shook his head. "Wow, for someone who claims to remember everything, I can't believe you missed this one. How about the roof at work, the first time I ever made you dinner?"

Pam laughed. "Oh, duh, of course! I was thinking of, like birthday cake candles or something. You weren't here for Michael's experiment with actual lit candles."

Jim moved closer. "I'm very sorry I missed the party," he said seriously. Leaning in, he kissed her fully and softly, moving his hands to her shoulders and rubbing them gently.

"Mmm," she hummed happily, pulling away. "Well, you can make up for it by feeding me now. I'm starving and something smells delicious."

"Yes, ma'am. Have a seat and I'll be right back." Jim headed to get their food while Pam sat down at the table, gazing after him with a look of tenderness and unmistakable attraction. He grinned to himself as he realized that the bright lights in the kitchen weren't the only thing dazzling his eyes.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans