- Text Size +

II. Pineapple

They'd successfully secured laundry detergent and dental floss before heading off into the produce section. Pam's list had stated "fresh fruit," and he watched her seriously contemplating the various varieties of apples for a few minutes before approaching her.

"Pam, I'm flattered," he said. "But I'm still not buying this claim of 'everything' reminding you of me." He actually did believe her. He remembered the days and nights apart, in which he couldn't go a full minute without thinking about her eyes, her lips, her laugh. It was, however, a fun game to play, and if it gave Jim a chance to bask in her love for him...well, so much the better.

Pam caught the teasing in his voice, and gave him another challenging smile in return. "I'm hurt. Really. But I'm serious."

"OK, then," Jim said. "How about....pineapple?" He pointed to a stand full of the ugly fruits a few feet away.

"You're joking," Pam said. She honestly looked perplexed.

"No, why?"

"Because of all the fruits in this place, that's probably the easiest. Meredith's birthday party, three years ago."

"Oh, crap," Jim said. "You're right." Pam shook her head in faux dismay, and returned to looking at apples. "But, seriously, Pam, does that really count? That's...hard to forget, but did it actually make you think of me?" Jim was looking for a loophole, ashamed of himself for not immediately thinking of the same incident.

"Of course it made me think of you. Who else was I standing with the whole time? And who tried to convince Dwight that it was me, and not Meredith herself, who made the virgin Pina Coladas loose their virginity? Hmm?" Pam was trying desperately not to laugh.

"I also believe, Mr. Halpert, that you're the one who scarred me for life by telling me what drunk Michael was trying to do with the pineapple rings in the men's room." She shuddered, and finally gave way to her laughter. "So pineapples would have made me think of that day, and how much we laughed, and I'd have been sad because I didn't have you to laugh with anymore. I'm afraid that one was much, much too easy, but it's no use trying to stump me. Everything, Jim. Everything reminded me of you."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans