- Text Size +

IV. Court 

The intimate promise in Pam’s expression galvanized Jim into action. "Let’s get this shopping done. We don’t want to be here all night," he said with an unmistakable leer.

Pam laughed and maneuvered in front of Jim, putting the soup can into the shopping cart and heading down past the pasta and jars of sauce. "Oh, why not? If we’re up too late, we can just call in sick tomorrow. Stay home all day being bums and watching bad daytime television."

"Is there any other kind? You are well aware of my opinion on this subject, Pam. Trashy talk shows and ‘The People’s Court’ are not my idea of quality entertainment."

"In fact, I am aware of that. Which is why every time I so much as see a commercial for a TV court show, it reminds me of you." Pam was apparently not ready to give up the game. Jim laughed and decided to take on the challenge.

"TV court reminds you of me? Considering how very much I hate it, I guess that’s acceptable. But what about other kinds of courts? I defy you to make a connection." His tone was matter-of-fact, but Jim was not only enjoying himself, he was actually getting into competitive mode. These sorts of games could go on for days between them. They shared a sense of what was fun, and they both had stubborn, competitive streaks that made them perfect friendly adversaries.

Pam tossed her head scornfully. "Please. You defy me? How’s this? Legal courts make me think of that time we both watched that re-run of Law and Order and how it made us both think of Creed. Tennis courts make me think of you because you hate tennis, and basketball courts make me think of you because you love basketball. You’re also good at it and look hot when you play." She smiled pleasantly as Jim blushed. Embarrassed, he looked down at the cart. Pam had been putting items in the cart as she rattled off her examples. Jim noticed his favorite brands of spaghetti sauce, his favorite cereal, and a jar of dill pickles, which he knew Pam hated.

"Hey," he said.

"Hmm?"

"You don’t have to buy this stuff. I mean, you don’t have to just get stuff that I like."

Pam tilted her head and looked up at him. "I know. But I like you, so I want to make you happy." Before he could find the right words to answer, she turned around and continued her litany. "Royal courts remind me of the day that Michael decided that he was King of the branch, and of course that makes me think of you because you called me Michael’s lady-in-waiting because I was waiting and waiting for him to sign those expense reports. And then you called me "milady," all day, and I never told you but I really liked that."

"Really?"

"Yep. And, let’s see. Oh, OK, court, like, courtship, like dating? That reminds me of you because of the horrified look on your face the day that Dwight announced that he was going to court the new secretary at Vance Refrigeration. I think that just about covers it."

Jim spread his hands in defeat. "OK. OK, I believe you. You win!"

Pam paused, looking contemplative for a moment. She turned and came back toward him with deliberate steps. Placing her hands on his shoulders, she raised up on tip-toe to plant a brief but firm kiss on his lips. "Yes, I believe I did," she said.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans